Dustin Martin is Chopsticking with Richmond

Just out of curiosity, outside of teams who are in the top 4 or just left it, Collingwood, or beneficiary of a go home factor, which manager has pulled off any of these deals in recent years for an A grade midfielder? The only ones I can think of are Prestia, Goddard, Judd and Nick Stevens (kind of). Maybe Christenson and Griffen?

The interesting one is Collingwood. They do seem to manage it, although it was also definitely from targeting GWS.

But generally, Dodoro has done as well as any manager at a club without a go home factor and who isn’t finishing regularly in the top 4.

Just working this through out loud. You’re saying go home factor doesn’t include Victorians?

It probably does for Geelong. But when Prestia or Judd wanted to come home, they had the choice of 9 clubs. When Beams needed to go to Queensland to be with his sick dad, he had the choice of two. Ditto Ebert, Polec, S. Thompson. Essendon does not have an advantage like the interstate teams do, so when considering which “A Grade midfielders” have moved clubs, ones like Beams/Ebert shouldn’t be considered.

I reckon there’s been a few trades where people thought they were getting a top notch player considering what they gave up (eg McLean, Johnstone, Thomas), but I agree that generally those kinds of players go for a reason or for a lot. My gut feel is that a lot of teams draft midfields and trade for talls, which would skew the data a bit. That might just be because we’ve lost good talls, so it feels like that’s what’s on the move.

Brad Hardie mentioned on 6PR this morning that an influential Essendon group with legal backgrounds are exploring legal options for getting Dusty’s dad back to Australia hoping this will influence Dusty to join the Bombers next year.

1 Like

So not content with dealing with Charters, Gatto and other dodgey farks aswell as importing all manner of drugs from China and Mexico we have now turned to using the legal system to allow a convicted Bikie back into the country. This will end well :astonished:
I’m all for getting Dusty but not by allowing crims back here

8 Likes

I remember a (allegedly) high class midfielder that wanted to come to Essendon but we couldn’t get the job done because we didn’t have the picks: Caddy. He didn’t turn out so great in the end but he would have to be the closest we have come in terms of trying to get a midfielder to the club from a trade (in terms of supposed high quality).

1 Like

But he wasn’t A grade, he was just expected to be.

If we are going ‘all in’ for any player it’s for the much hyped Josh Kelly.

Who IMO is the best bet from the expansions clubs out of himself, Treloar and O’meara and a better option than Martin. More years in the tank.

I think Martin won’t move, Kelly prob not either though.

1 Like

Charters is small fry.
Gatto is a lot more than ‘dodgey’. It’s like calling cancer a sniffle.

Sorry Vanders, are you saying we should go all in for Kelly or we are going all in for Kelly?
Agree with one, hoping for the other

Trying to emulate Carlton. We’ve got heaps of wog supporters, just need the gangsters now.

Hot on the heels of their successful defence of the club during the saga we should have supreme confidence this group will deliver :wink:

5 Likes

Having met this group at a coterie function; if I was in trouble with the Law and needed a very good barrister/lawyer then I would sooner use the yellow pages.

3 Likes

It’s mabo, it’s the vibe.

The Essendennisdenutonians coterie group.

2 Likes

More like the Lawdondenutonians coterie group.

2 Likes

Got to offer 1.5-1.6 a season.

Goddard?

1 Like

Still not sure how gets away with his don’t argue that hits throats instead of chests.

DUSTY

that’s how