Dustin Martin is Chopsticking with Richmond

A couple of very influential people at the Crows reckon we are one of the main clubs interested in Lever

6 Likes

What the actual ā– ā– ā– ā– 

1 Like

They keep suggesting he has a relationship with Woosh donā€™t they?

Lever Iā€™m taking about.

1 Like

Yep, I think on our list of priorities a KPD is pretty low on the list but apparently itā€™s Collingwood, the Dogs and us who have shown the most interest. I hope itā€™s not so

Aceman has his ear to the ground in SA. FWIW I have no idea but generally he gets good mail. I heard the Hopper/Geelong situation is bang on the money.

Can categorically tell you Dogs preparing to throw the kitchen sink at Lever. They had some other contracts to attend to first, namely JJ, Daniel & Clay Smith as well as assessing their 2018 OOC players and whether Murphy goes on or not etc.

I am so over that every second player who leaves their club wants to go to Geelong.

2 Likes

Yes, likewise.
Do they have a bottomless salary cap??

Ditto. Theyā€™re a strong club & have really turned it around from 15-20 years ago when the likes of Kent Kingsley were the only players they could attract.

I donā€™t know how they get that deal done if it comes to fruition given the picks theyā€™ve given up for Touhy, Henderson, Danger, Smith etc not to mention cap space. Motlop is UFA & apparently has Port interested, so his decent contract likely to be off the books. I do wonder how they manage to get both Gary Jr & Hopper deals done but if anyone can, they can. Gotta give them this, they get deals done.

Me too unfortunately.

Iā€™m assuming thereā€™ll be fair bit of cash freed up at the end of the year with a few expected retirements. Iā€™ll be really surprised if we donā€™t have a crack at trading in a mid this year.
We had a red hot crack at Oā€™Meara so we know the clubā€™s looking in that direction.

Iā€™m pretty sure Brett Anderson has been saying we are a smoky for Lever.

1 Like

I could understand the resistance to Lever being targeted if it was seen as an ā€˜instead ofā€™ decision over midfielder ā€˜Xā€™ -I am right on the trade/grab a young midfielder wagon. However what does fit with the story is Leverā€™s age demographic. If the club are playing at a long game in terms of sustained success, well he gives us valuable time post Hooker (and maybe Hurley?) to keep an A-grade spine around Daniher and the cluster of youth below him.

Letā€™s hope there are multiple avenues by which we are planning to upgrade and accelerate our list build, but you donā€™t turn down the opportunity to lure a long term investment of Leverā€™s class.

7 Likes

I donā€™t care if heā€™s married to Woosh, we donā€™t need him at Essendon.

3 Likes

The only way thatā€™s happening is if one of our other kpd getting traded.

Perhaps west Sydney boy Hartley to GWS

Lever would be a big upgrade on him, barely loses a 1 on 1 and is a great intercept marker (which is what Hartley got dropped for Brown for earlier in season)

1 Like

SHOW ME THE KELLY

(the Josh Kelly, ya smart arses)
(the one at GWS)

1 Like

We donā€™t need a potential Elite footballer at Essendon? I donā€™t think it matters. He makes us a stronger side. The kid is going to be a deadset super player. Iā€™d have him in a heart beat

5 Likes

Lever would be great to replace someone like Kelly or Baguley in the very near future because he is going to be a Superstar.

But it will all be for naught if we donā€™t end up adding a Dusty/Josh Kelly along with him as our midfield is still utterly shambolic and no amount of 3rd tall backs are going to fix that.

No. They just manage their list to suit.
They have had two older players retire for thelast three years.
Theyā€™ll have another two this year.
Then theyā€™ll trade players away too (they got rid of a few younger guys) and replace them with cheap 50+ draft picks like Buzza and Menegola.
Eventually, theyā€™ll run out of depth, but they keep topping up their best 18 with mid 20 year old players.

Need? Maybe not.

Want? Hell yeah.

You couldnā€™t be mad if we managed to attract a talent like Lever to the club.

3 Likes

If I were starving to death on a desert island that housed 4 cars and another one washed ashore Iā€™d be pretty farking disappointed it wasnā€™t a boat.

3 Likes