Easter start and October GF in 2015

Easter start confirmed for 2015 season

It won’t be until October 3 that the premiers are decided next year

NEXT year's AFL Grand Final will be staged in October, with the 2015 season kicking off across the Easter long weekend.

At a meeting with the clubs' CEOs on Thursday, the AFL confirmed the Grand Final will be played on Saturday, October 3.

The first match next season will be played on Thursday, April 2 – the day before Good Friday.

It is "most unlikely" any football will be played on Good Friday next season, however an AFL spokesman confirmed Good Friday football "may be considered" from 2016 onwards.

The later than usual start to the season is due to the 2015 Cricket World Cup being staged in Australia and New Zealand this summer.

The World Cup final will be played at the MCG and the AFL has delayed its season until all grounds are available.

There will only be one bye during the home and away season.

The AFL also confirmed the majority of matches in next year's pre-season NAB Challenge will be played at regional and suburban grounds, to take the game to regions that don't usually host matches.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-07/easter-start-for-2015-season

Year of the fans.

So Hird will be a premiership coach on October 3, 2015.

excellent news

Better set up I reckon.

Better set up I reckon.

much better

excellent news

Will be interesting with the Hirdy comeback... hopefully our rd 1 is on the Sunday... on the third day... he will rise.

excellent news

Will be interesting with the Hirdy comeback... hopefully our rd 1 is on the Sunday... on the third day... he will rise.

and a week later, on the ground, Hirdy says to his son Thomas, "Stop doubting and believe. I told you I would be back as coach."

excellent news

Wait, so we're going back-to-back flags on MY birthday???
Lid Orrrff!

It won't be until October 3 that the premiers are decided next year

NEXT year's AFL Grand Final will be staged in October, with the 2015 season kicking off across the Easter long weekend.

At a meeting with the clubs' CEOs on Thursday, the AFL confirmed the Grand Final will be played on Saturday, October 3.

The first match next season will be played on Thursday, April 2 – the day before Good Friday.

It is "most unlikely" any football will be played on Good Friday next season, however an AFL spokesman confirmed Good Friday football "may be considered" from 2016 onwards.

The later than usual start to the season is due to the 2015 Cricket World Cup being staged in Australia and New Zealand this summer.

The World Cup final will be played at the MCG and the AFL has delayed its season until all grounds are available.

The AFL also confirmed the majority of matches in next year's pre-season NAB Challenge will be played at regional and suburban grounds, to take the game to regions that don't usually host matches.

surely collingwood are a chance next year with the grand final in October.

Thank ■■■■ there is only one bye. 

It won't be until October 3 that the premiers are decided next year

surely collingwood are a chance next year with the grand final in October.

Collingwood hasn't won a Septemeber GF since 1958.

this pre-season is going to feel like a eternity.

This is good for me,I’ll only miss 3 weeks of footy!

<span style="font-size:24px;">RSL shocked by AFL plans to schedule game on Anzac Day morning in New Zealand</span>

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

<strong>VICTORIA‘S RSL boss says he is shocked at the AFL‘s plan to schedule an 11am Anzac Day clash next year while war veterans are still marching.</strong>

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan announced on the weekend that St Kilda would play in New Zealand clash on Anzac Day, with the game to be broadcast into Australia at 11am.

Victorian head of the Returned and Services League major general David McLachlan told the Herald Sun yesterday had not been consulted by the AFL and was “disappointed” by the move.

He said veterans would still be marching at 11am before a 1pm commemorative service at the Shrine of Remembrance.

Next year marks the centenary of the Gallipoli landing on April 25, 1914, with 8709 Australians and 2701 New Zealanders dying in that campaign.

In total, 61,522 Australians lost their lives in World War I.

“At 11am we are right in the middle of the march and that is where we should be focusing in my opinion,‘‘ McLachlan said.

“I have to say I am somewhat surprised they want to interfere. It is a vexed issue because we have got legislation in Victoria that precludes sporting activity of that nature before 1pm but I have had no conversation at all with the AFL about what they are doing in New Zealand.

“Particularly given it is the centenary of the Anzacs, it is a little disappointing. We have had an agreement that the march finishes and then we go to the football. That has the way it has been with football forever and a day.”

It was only with the RSL‘s permission that Collingwood and Essendon built a tradition for an afternoon game that enhances the Anzac tradition.

AFL boss McLachlan said on Saturday the AFL had to play five games on Anzac Day and wanted clean air for the traditional Collingwood-Essendon clash.

“It‘s also going to be huge because it‘s the centenary of Anzac Day,” he said.

“We think we‘ll probably kick it off in New Zealand, which would come in to Australia at a very unusual time, probably about 11am and be done by the time our game here in Melbourne starts at the MCG.”

The AFL could play four Sunday games or two twilight and two night games on Anzac Day.

Major General McLachlan said the 11am game couldn‘t be at a worse time.

“The march starts off at 9am and will have been going for a couple of hours and it doesn‘t conclude until 12.45pm or thereabouts before the commemorative service,‘‘ he said.

“The planning we are undertaking for Anzac Day (in 2015) is immense. It was very cold this year and we had 61,000 at the Shrine of Remembrance.

“I don‘t believe there would be any doubt we would get 100,000 there next year.”

St Kilda is yet to be told who it will play in Wellington, which will feature its own Anzac Day commemorative services.

Pies boss Eddie McGuire has no issue with the 11am game, with St Kilda not returning calls last night.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/rsl-shocked-by-afl-plans-to-schedule-game-on-anzac-day-morning-in-new-zealand

Pretty ******* disrespectful by the afl, not that I expect anything else.

clearly is a dumb move. theyll definitely reschedule

Schedule Western Bulldogs to play GWS in Darwin on Thursday night.

Problem solved.

A game to watch on Thursday night that no-one would usually want to watch.

You wouldn't get a crowd for the game at home anyway.

Darwin gets a game and has some involvement in ANZAC week, which is nice.

Everyone wins.

Much ado about nothing - Anzac Day is on a Sunday so you have to schedule 3 or 4 games - RSL make me laugh - Have they ever showed  worried about their members who live in WA - Surely they are still attending a service when Ess Vs Cwd starts on Anzac Day.

Really could not care less how long the season goes for or when it starts. Only watch our games anyway.