Easton Wood Speaks Out On Gambling In Sport

Essendon was one of the early signatories to the Responsible Gambling Code ( which does not extend to no pokies). I thought that the EFC had done restrictions at home games on screening live betting odds, or something like that.
Crown Bet is a significant AFL sponsor, Gill got a bit shify when interviewed about that a while back… And Vlad is on the Crown Board.

AFL chief Gillon McLachlan’s said this week that betting advertising at AFL venues had struck “the right balance”.

So basically he reckons it’s OK because they are making money from it?

AFL chief Gillon McLachlan's said this week that betting advertising at AFL venues had struck "the right balance".

So basically he reckons it’s OK because they are making money from it?

No need for the question mark hambo :slight_smile:

1 Like
Surely people are mature enough to make their own decisions - There is advertising in every nook and cranny of life - You need to get to used it and to switch off.

Sure, adults are. But these adds are grooming kids.

And parents are there to show children how to balance their lives, don’t get me wrong, I think gambling is insidious but banning stuff doesn’t agree with my libertarian views

Surely people are mature enough to make their own decisions - There is advertising in every nook and cranny of life - You need to get to used it and to switch off.

And parents are there to show children how to balance their lives, don’t get me wrong, I think gambling is insidious but banning stuff doesn’t agree with my libertarian views

I’m not anti gambling. I have a bet on the horses and very rarely the footy.

I don’t want to ban gambling. What I do want is a limit on advertising gambling. You cannot watch a game or listen to footy on the radio ( abc excepted) without being inundated by gambling ads.

They want to normalise gambling as part of footy. Grooming kids to become customers. It’s happening. It’s deliberate. It’s wrong.

I have a young boy. Way too young for footy and TV. But when he gets old enough I won’t be letting him watch the footy on the TV unless they get rid of the gambling ads/odds during the broadcast.

It’s absolutely disgusting and the code / country should grow a backbone and outlaw it.

1 Like

Talk about insidious, if you do a google site search to find the Responsible Gambling Foundation , the first one that comes up is William Hill betting agency, because it has incorporated the term “responsible gambling” in its description.

The other thing about this issue is this.

What percentage of people do you think would want gambling ads outlawed? 80%? 90%? Higher? Could you think of another prospective law change that would have a higher level of public support? I can’t.

It’s not really up the AFL, it’s up to the government to outlaw the ads during broadcasts. You have something which is demonstrably causing harm, and which probably 90%+ of voters want outlawed, yet the government caves to the gambling/broadcasting lobby and continues to allow it.

Fark. That.

The other thing about this issue is this.

What percentage of people do you think would want gambling ads outlawed? 80%? 90%? Higher? Could you think of another prospective law change that would have a higher level of public support? I can’t.

It’s not really up the AFL, it’s up to the government to outlaw the ads during broadcasts. You have something which is demonstrably causing harm, and which probably 90%+ of voters want outlawed, yet the government caves to the gambling/broadcasting lobby and continues to allow it.

Fark. That.

I’ve had some preliminary discussions with a group of people who want to make some noise about this issue. Will keep you posted if and when anything gets off the ground.

The way it gets incorporated like another game stat ticks me off. They use it to give an opinion on who will win and give updates during broadcasts.

The way it gets incorporated like another game stat ticks me off. They use it to give an opinion on who will win and give updates during broadcasts.

It’s embedded in the AFL app ffs.

I don’t want to ban gambling. What I do want is a limit on advertising gambling. You cannot watch a game or listen to footy on the radio ( abc excepted) without being inundated by gambling ads.

They want to normalise gambling as part of footy. Grooming kids to become customers. It’s happening. It’s deliberate. It’s wrong.

Yes but bottom line is their grooming kids to do something that is legal, as a parent I have a responsibility to teach my child who is now 19 the reality of life and I did, she doesn’t gamble or gorge herself on crappy fast food and she drinks reasonably responsibly.
Parents need to stop passing the buck and step up.
As a side note there are no advertisements for illegal drugs but a lot of people abuse the ■■■■ out of them.
It’s about knowledge & best available information not shielding and censorship

Yes but bottom line is their grooming kids to do something that is legal, as a parent I have a responsibility to teach my child who is now 19 the reality of life and I did, she doesn’t gamble or gorge herself on crappy fast food and she drinks reasonably responsibly.
Parents need to stop passing the buck and step up.
As a side note there are no advertisements for illegal drugs but a lot of people abuse the ■■■■ out of them.
It’s about knowledge & best available information not shielding and censorship

They are indeed grooming them to do something that is legal… when they are adults. That is why we have limits on when and how alcohol can be advertised, it’s why cigarettes can’t be advertised at all.

Imagine a live cross before the start of a footy game to some ex player telling everyone how many stubbies he was planning to sink in the first quarter, and which bottleshop one could go to to get the best deal on ones stubbies. Imagine the same with cigarettes.

You’re obviously a good and responsible parent, but you’re missing the point. Alcohol and ciagarette advertising was banned from being associated with sport because of the implied link.

Gambling causes just as many if not more social issues, it should never be allowed to be be marketed to minors. It should never be part of the football landscape in the way it is.

Your child and mine never had this as part of their football experience, no child should.

Tobacco advertising linked to sport went long ago following government initiatives, as part of a wider health agenda. Sport- linked gambling advertising is also a health issue, as well as a huge cost to society.
The regulation of timing of TV programs relates to preventative approaches to protect minors . There are regulations limiting minors in alcohol and gambling venues. But TV gambling advertising is available at any time.
The Victorian Government initiative in enabling the establishment of the Responsible Gambling Foundation and a voluntary Code is a start. But the AFL has not committed to one single element of that voluntary code.

But kids go to the footy and see adults drinking and having a good time so let’s ban that as they shouldn’t be subject to that at that age as it normalises drinking…you can’t have it all

But kids go to the footy and see adults drinking and having a good time so let's ban that as they shouldn't be subject to that at that age as it normalises drinking.......you can't have it all

I don’t want it all.

What I want is for gambling not to be normalised to children as just another part of the game. It isn’t.

Look, I personally don’t gamble and hate the idea but what I hate more is others deciding what I can see, consume, say and do… like I said I’ m a libertarian let me decide

But kids go to the footy and see adults drinking and having a good time so let's ban that as they shouldn't be subject to that at that age as it normalises drinking.......you can't have it all

I don’t want it all.

What I want is for gambling not to be normalised to children as just another part of the game. It isn’t.

Yes you’ve mentioned but what about my point on alcohol, I see little difference to children’s exposure to a damaging substance/idea but that’s ok

Regulation of advertising of gambling linked to sport events would not prevent a person from gambling on a sporting event.

Banning alcohol ads has done sfa about drinking and it’s associated social effects are worse than ever, banning anything rarely works what should be done imo is if there is a social negative from a particular thing or activity then it should be heavily taxed and ALL money’s raised spent on education, think about the road toll and how education helped reduce it dramatically we didn’t ban car ads