Easton Wood Speaks Out On Gambling In Sport

I'll explain my situation in more detail so you guys understand where I'm coming from, not a sob story just facts, my mum spent most of her life in and out of institutions from when I was 12 onwards and my dad was only interested in himself and did not step up to the mark when me and siblings needed him so we had virtually zero guidance from him which resulted in drug addiction, immaturity and little clue about life and at 21 I was doing dishes at a restaurant to maintain my habit and was clueless, I was lucky to decide to walk into the defence recruitment office and was accepted and that's where I gat my lessons on commitment, discipline and education. When I had a child there was no way I was not going to prepare her for life and educating her about good and bad and allowing her to experience life with knowledge was in my eyes the key not censoring or shielding her from reality and what do you know it works it's not luck so that's why I come with this point of view if anyone took offence to that comment I apologise except for you Deckam you can ■■■■ off

You don’t have to justify your opinion. It’s a sound one. But I think we’re at cross purposes on this discussion. I agree education is important and as responsible parents it’s part of what we do.

But wouldn’t it be nice if we could watch a game of footy with our kids for a couple of hours and just talk about footy?

No life lessons
No moralising
Just footy

Banning alcohol ads has done sfa about drinking and it's associated social effects are worse than ever, banning anything rarely works what should be done imo is if there is a social negative from a particular thing or activity then it should be heavily taxed and ALL money's raised spent on education, think about the road toll and how education helped reduce it dramatically we didn't ban car ads

There are mostly sensible regulations involved in alcohol advertising but it hasn’t been banned. Not really sure where your assertion that problems related to alcohol abuse are worse than ever either or how heavy taxation fits in with your “libertarian” viewpoint.

Regulations limiting access by minors to alcohol might have some beneficial impact, as have the .05 driving limits and close to zero for P Platers. Alcohol may not be the sole contribution to road tolls.

You missed my point, the road toll reduction correlated with the education of the masses with regard to the consequences of doing the wrong thing such as speeding, tired driving, focusing, drink driving etc it wasn’t because they banned anything, my point is EDUCATION is the best tool to reduce negative impacts due to behaviours

And of course speeding, drink driving and many other dangerous driving activities are both legally banned and actively enforced. Education works for a large section of society, but unfortunately there’s plenty of people out there who also need strict laws in place to stop them doing the wrong thing.

My libertarian viewpoint is if you want to do something that’s fine if it doesn’t negatively effect others, it’s quite simple, alcohol and gambling have negative effect on society so if we want it to stay legal we need to ensure society is educated about the negatives which costs money so we get it from a tax, that does not compromise my libertarian view. If you want to take drugs, fine understand what the repercussions might be and if you can accept that go for it but if you need to steal money to supply your habit obviously not fine.

With regards to your second paragraph yes my point was that education using those morbid style ads worked in curtailing the road toll significantly and alcohol is taxed although its fair to assume the spend a small portion of it on education only.

I'll explain my situation in more detail so you guys understand where I'm coming from, not a sob story just facts, my mum spent most of her life in and out of institutions from when I was 12 onwards and my dad was only interested in himself and did not step up to the mark when me and siblings needed him so we had virtually zero guidance from him which resulted in drug addiction, immaturity and little clue about life and at 21 I was doing dishes at a restaurant to maintain my habit and was clueless, I was lucky to decide to walk into the defence recruitment office and was accepted and that's where I gat my lessons on commitment, discipline and education. When I had a child there was no way I was not going to prepare her for life and educating her about good and bad and allowing her to experience life with knowledge was in my eyes the key not censoring or shielding her from reality and what do you know it works it's not luck so that's why I come with this point of view if anyone took offence to that comment I apologise except for you Deckam you can ■■■■ off

Seems I’ve touched a raw nerve, and if that’s the case, I’m sorry if I’ve hurt your feelings.

What I should have said was this -
In my opinion and experience, having raised quite a few kids, and being someone who spends a lot of time with children of all ages in the education system, good parenting cannot be replaced. There is no substitute. Good teachers are also critical, and can make or break a child’s future. However - children react differently to things. Some kids will learn by example, while others will purposefully rebel against a parent’s example. That’s just human nature.

It is also human nature to soak up everything around you while growing up (and also while being an adult couch potato) - including the crap being bombarded to them via TV, radio, and internet. What’s more, children are greatly influenced by those that come across as being in authority - like a person dressed in a suit on TV. Or someone in a pretend doctor’s uniform. They are also greatly influenced by the perception of fun - fun that they aren’t having at the moment. Like gambling. Because as we all know, it’s great fun.

Gambling serves no real purpose other than to offer false hope to those that are often in need while making the owners very wealthy. It’s all fun and games for healthy forum-chatting middle-class punters. Not so much for desperate people - and for kids. Make no mistake - all your good parenting is a target by unscrupulous money hungry carnts wanting to turn your child into a product.

You don’t have to justify your opinion. It’s a sound one. But I think we’re at cross purposes on this discussion. I agree education is important and as responsible parents it’s part of what we do.

But wouldn’t it be nice if we could watch a game of footy with our kids for a couple of hours and just talk about footy?

No life lessons
No moralising
Just footy

Yes, Jesus yes

I know people that hate watching sports, still have about 5-6 muilties going a week. Gambling is insidious but i don't feel that much pity for the people caught up in betting apps.

It’s probably they the AFL don’t want to lose it, it makes the game interesting to some people.

I know people that hate watching sports, still have about 5-6 muilties going a week. Gambling is insidious but i don't feel that much pity for the people caught up in betting apps.

It’s probably they the AFL don’t want to lose it, it makes the game interesting to some people. them a shitload of CA$H

Cha Ching!! … Fixed.

Seems I’ve touched a raw nerve, and if that’s the case, I’m sorry if I’ve hurt your feelings.

What I should have said was this -
In my opinion and experience, having raised quite a few kids, and being someone who spends a lot of time with children of all ages in the education system, good parenting cannot be replaced. There is no substitute. Good teachers are also critical, and can make or break a child’s future. However - children react differently to things. Some kids will learn by example, while others will purposefully rebel against a parent’s example. That’s just human nature.

It is also human nature to soak up everything around you while growing up (and also while being an adult couch potato) - including the crap being bombarded to them via TV, radio, and internet. What’s more, children are greatly influenced by those that come across as being in authority - like a person dressed in a suit on TV. Or someone in a pretend doctor’s uniform. They are also greatly influenced by the perception of fun - fun that they aren’t having at the moment. Like gambling. Because as we all know, it’s great fun.

Gambling serves no real purpose other than to offer false hope to those that are often in need while making the owners very wealthy. It’s all fun and games for healthy forum-chatting middle-class punters. Not so much for desperate people - and for kids. Make no mistake - all your good parenting is a target by unscrupulous money hungry carnts wanting to turn your child into a product.

All good, not directing this at anyone here but I get ■■■■■■ that many parents seem to divulge responsibility to teachers or the “state” or lay blame on anything external rather than their inept parenting skills, my theory was knowing she was going to be exposed to alcohol and drugs and sex and talking to her truthfully about them and relaying my experience good and bad , telling her drugs can be awesome but the payoff can involve death and if she’s going to do drugs there’s things she can do to mitigate the risk coz telling her to not do it is a joke same applies to alcohol, gambling, boys, driving, etc
teachers do have a responsibility but not for these lessons imo

Schools do give some input, in regard to peer group pressure and isolation/ bullying if a student resists joining the group culture. That pressure is not confined to one socio economic group. The middle classes are equally vulnerable.
The numeracy literacy program packages run in schools may also help students to understand gambling odds and cash back lures, as much as helping students to understand mobile contrracts, credit card fees etc. There are Australia wide programs in that regard.

I just want the footy to start

I just want the footy to start

Amen

Essendon was one of the early signatories to the Responsible Gambling Code ( which does not extend to no pokies).

Before or after Donsbet?

Much prefer sports gambling to the pokies.

North Melbourne is the only club that has taken a stance on this issue as they have completely eliminated revenue from gambling (gaming and sponsorship). Despite saying some nice things, Essendon is a mile behind on this issue and has the third most pokies and third highest revenue from pokies behind Hawthorn and Carlton. AFL club owned pokies account for a quarter of the money lost by Victorians. Like the government, clubs (excluding NM) are addicted to pokies revenue.

Good for Easton Wood for having the guts to discuss this issue. There are far too many sycophants worried about keeping their noses clean in the AFL.

Surely people are mature enough to make their own decisions - There is advertising in every nook and cranny of life - You need to get to used it and to switch off.
If advertising didn't make people decide to do things they otherwise wouldn't what would be the point?

Ultimately people make their own decisions - Not everyone is seduced by advertising - And you will never stop some being seduced - To think otherwise is foolish.

But kids go to the footy and see adults drinking and having a good time so let's ban that as they shouldn't be subject to that at that age as it normalises drinking.......you can't have it all

I don’t want it all.

What I want is for gambling not to be normalised to children as just another part of the game. It isn’t.

Gambling is normalised in society - Even at Primary school, and especially High School, many forms of gambling take place whether its playing cards, betting that Essendon will beat Collingwood, etc,etc,etc.

Schools do give some input, in regard to peer group pressure and isolation/ bullying if a student resists joining the group culture. That pressure is not confined to one socio economic group. The middle classes are equally vulnerable. The numeracy literacy program packages run in schools may also help students to understand gambling odds and cash back lures, as much as helping students to understand mobile contrracts, credit card fees etc. There are Australia wide programs in that regard.

Schools have always displayed a poor attitude to bullying - They’ve never taken the issue seriously at the fear of upsetting parents or damaging the brand of the school - The way schools handle bullying can be equated to the Catholic Church and abuse.

Regulation of advertising of gambling linked to sport events would not prevent a person from gambling on a sporting event.

No.

But it does allow kids to watch footy on TV without continually getting their brain spammed with the idea that gambling is an integral part of the game.

Or that your enjoyment of the game could be significantly enhanced by gambling on it.

THIS.

Mrs Incoming! is in the finance game here in QLD. She had one Vic based AFL players apply for a loan recently (not Essendon), he’s on very very good coin and gambles more than he earns that per month, mostly on the nags. Most bets go through a mates pub in the NT. Now borrowing to meet the rising debts and sustain the habit. He’s exhausted the more reputable lenders and now getting loans from the type of lender who collects their own debts in person with a few big mates. Loans with high interest and short terms. He’s not alone , she gets a name she recognises every couple of months in a similar situation.

Surely people are mature enough to make their own decisions - There is advertising in every nook and cranny of life - You need to get to used it and to switch off.
Nope people aren't mature enough, otherwise, they wouldn't get addicted to gambling.
Nope people aren't mature enough, otherwise, they wouldn't get addicted to gambling.

I dislike commercials full stop and think most commercials are rubbish - I’d like to ban commercials but then it would be tough to watch TV and the like or even follow professional sporting clubs - Commercials are a necessary evil.

But kids go to the footy and see adults drinking and having a good time so let's ban that as they shouldn't be subject to that at that age as it normalises drinking.......you can't have it all

I don’t want it all.

What I want is for gambling not to be normalised to children as just another part of the game. It isn’t.

Gambling is normalised in society - Even at Primary school, and especially High School, many forms of gambling take place whether its playing cards, betting that Essendon will beat Collingwood, etc,etc,etc.

Not with actual large sums of money and high stakes. The concept of having something on the line and dealing in luck, perhaps.

The passion involved with children seeing their footy team win or lose should never be equated with the notion that it’s emptying or filling a wallet, or that it should be the driver for a level of enjoyment of the game. I think that’s more Darli’s point.