“Easy” win versus the Gold Coast Sins - discuss

Not sure how you could suggest last year was against better opponents. They are/were a rabble on both occasions. Last year they had lost to the Lions by 10 goals the week before and they lost to Port by 19 goals the week after. We only beat them by 33 points. They didn’t have Ablett or Lynch and they had a caretaker coach.
This year, despite being a similar rabble, they are parking the bus as others have said, to try and limit the damage as much as possible.

Our performances last year and thus year were rubbish against them. It’s a matter of opinion which performance was better.

1 Like

All the age and limitations of a role player, none of the actual experience.

Sweet combo.

1 Like

One thing that really gives me the ■■■■■ is our strategy kicking out from a behind.

Can we invest some time into this?

5 Likes

Shower of oil…maybe ?

Wim is correct on this one.

1 Like

Harts dropping 60m torps on kickouts was more fun, and arguably effective, in the VFL game

2 Likes

Not our best game skill wise, but for the first time in many years, we showed up clearly not “on” and we still managed to get the job done.

Almost clinical - winning the games we need to win. The fact that we’re starting to win more and more games interstate (and this one very convincingly) and that supporters can feel a bit more comfortable knowing the team will do what they need to do just to get those lower expectation games won, it’s a massive bonus.

Lloyd on the footy show today seemed pretty upbeat and excited about the game to be honest. Think he can see the club has turned a big corner here.

2 Likes

GC would have to be in the worst shape of any team we have played in the last 10 years, we should of put them away in the first 20min.

We actually beat them by more than North (at Etihad) and Collingwood (at Metricon) from the last few weeks.

Convincing enough for me.

7 Likes

Well that makes me feel better about our performance in the first half.

Slippery night
Interstate
Significant injuries
Essington first half

We overcame it and switched on in the second. Thrashing minnows isn’t the only measure of a good outcome against them. There were some important positives out of this that bode well for our short-medium term. For mine, the continued upward trajectory of THE is very pleasing. He’s finally showing that he’s got a very good football brain and the skills to match. He’ll be a very, very good player for us.

It’s taken I while, but I’m actually starting to think we will get some decent development out of a frustrating year.

12 Likes

Who played last year that missed this one?

METER
PETER

2 Likes

Gold Coast haven’t really been pushovers in recent times so to think we were just going to come out and smash them from start fanciful

Obviously some scrappy play in first half but stuck at it and then put them away

43pt win is very solid, and held them to a low score! Got to be happy with that.

Well i mean we won so there’s that but it was pretty ■■■■■■■ balls.

If we had 2 METER PETER we’d have won be 15 goals

2 Likes

We got molested by GC in that first half. That second half of first quarter, when they had like 19 inside 50s to our 2 or something…that was a disgraceful 20 minutes that even our top ups in 2016 didn’t play any worse.

Then when we did out play them, we missed so many easy goals and over possessed and kicking it straight to May in our goal square. That was not great to watch at all.

We are so mentally fragile that we get dragged down to the levels of a really bad team, when we play against one. We have done this for 15 years…it’s like our past players from Knights era have somehow passed on this skills to our current team too.

2 Likes

I had a look at GCS’ past results. Only three teams have beaten them by more than 10 goals, and they were away games.

The likes of Collingwood and Port had a similar result. Hawthorn won by 8 goals in Tasmania.

So, yeah, some posters are definitely making a big deal of it unnecessarily.

7 Likes

Last year we had a forward line of JoeDan, Hooker, Stewart, Raz and Green, all of them pretty much on fire.

This year we have Smack and Brown.

3 Likes

I’m still in shock at how well McKernan and Brown seem to be holding up tbh.

Brown in particular is showing some real class and intelligence with his repeat efforts, gut running. Was highly rated as a junior and a highish draft pick (16?) - can see the talent that has been significantly suppressed by his injury history - good on him.

8 Likes

Will take the win! It was cold, slippery & away. Also wonder if player mindset is affected at the start of the game after spending a day wandering around the Gold Coast pre game. Such a holiday feel up here- very different to other games. It did take them a while to switch on.

1 Like

Get in the WC spirit son

Dva metara Petar
Deux mètres Peter