“Easy” win versus the Gold Coast Sins - discuss

They’ve been doing this for most of the year.
Play passably OK for a half.
Hit the showers early.

First half wasn’t pretty. Need to give GC credit for their pressure around the ball and ability to hit targets in traffic. Second half, a massive surprise in how Essendon assumed control of the game. Still, some pretty dumb footy continually kicking to May on the goal line. Also, shots of goal were hurried when they needn’t be BUT 4 wins from 5 interstate … how good it that (!) after an eternity of crap performances over the years.

Essendon could potentially win the next 4 but unfortunately that’s a stretch given they struggle to win more than 3 in a row. With their new found edge / resilience will Essendon break another hoodoo?

I dunno?
I feel like you do.
Probably Daniher.

Look, if you want to choose this game to point out how much we’ve improved on last year then go for your life.
I won’t spoil your fun.

Okay, so that’s what HAP was getting at.
Cool.
Do you think we played well?
Our skills were good?
Our forward entries of a decent standard and not wasteful?

Yes?
Well, okay then.

Umm, no, I never said that, I just pointed out that it is hard to compare last year to this year due to that reason. I said nothing about our skills yesterday. No need to take every conversation and turn it into an argument.

1 Like

I’m not!
You’re responding to me.

I was responding to SMJ’s post where he did, favourably, compare this game to the one last year.

Now personally, I think last week was a much better example of Essendon playing better football.
We lost, but we played better.

Just finished watching the replay …

Just kidding.

6 Likes

Our first half was absolute merde.
Our second half was ok.
Was its a great performance? No.
Could it have been better? Yes
But bottom line is we won, away, with a very understrength side, by 44 points.
I’ll take that and walk away smiling any time.

14 Likes

Don’t disagree with that.
But again, I’ll point out that I never said any different.

Funny seeing you guys all jump on, though.

No jumping on here.
Just putting forward how I saw it.

When I do my rowing, I like to watch the replay.

I chose to watch the replay of the win against the eagles this morning.

1 Like

IT pls.

Unless we play amazing, every week, no matter how many players we have out or any other circumstances, we are irredeemably sh/t and always will be. Do try to keep up

3 Likes

What? When did I compare this game to ‘the one’ last year? And which one?

You want to post what you just did, and ask me to be civil?
No.

Nothing to do with “ mental fragility”.

One of the quirks of footy is that, just as one team can seem to have the wood on another for a few years, there are teams that just seem to bring out the worst in each other.
I don’t mean playing good or in form teams.
It might not even be reflected in actual losses.
But you just know that you’re in for a ■■■■ game - it’s not just team structures & plans that fall apart - it’s that 4 out of 5 kicks will miss the target, handballs will go behind or to feet, chest marks will be dropped.
And both sides will do it.
Over the last few decade or so, we’ve been in that situation playing St Kilda, before that Norf, and before that Footscray that I can recall.
There have been some shocking games that neither set of fans wishes to remember.
Worryingly it seems the Scum are our current bête noire.

Last night was not in that calibre- we fixed things to an extent and ran out comfortable winners.
Enjoy the moment.

1 Like

You didn’t, I think he was mixing you up with someone else.

Thanks boss. I actually looked back through my post history. I had a couple last night but hopefully not so many that I don’t remember things!

1 Like

Well good teams do not sit 12th on the ladder!

Good teams win ugly. We’ve been unable to do that for a few years now.

I reckon we must be building a VERY good team ‘cause man that was ugly. :wink:

Seriously though… that was a game we would have lost in other years. The Essendon millionaires turn up ready to coast to an easy win. Last night Dyson Heppell said NO WAY. He was at the bottom of every pack in that first half. He was tenacious, courageous and, by playing old fashioned hard arsed footy, he took the team with him.

Immense Captains Game.

23 Likes

Heppel would be competing with Smith for the b&f you think having a great season

2 Likes