“Easy” win versus the Gold Coast Sins - discuss

Well if you can read the minds of EFC coaches and list management guys then it may be clear.

Never thought that much of McNiece, but someone at the Club does to give him games. I actually thought he was a below average VFL player. Long shows he has ability, but does nothing much in the VFL and actually looks better at AFL level. Don’t think he will make it to be a consistent performer though. Play him a few more games and then make the call.

I actually reckon boys like Clarke, Mynott and the Zerk will make it and should be blooded early. Ridley and Redman have shown enough, and add in Guefli and the development of the Langford and McGrath, and by that judgement it has been a good year.

2 Likes

Our issue in getting games into Ridley and Francis is related to our team balance and relative strengths. We have an abundance of marking players (forwards and backs) and are so thin on ground level defenders and forwards that McNiece and Long get games and baguely plays as a small forward. Anyone that comes onto our list as a small defender or small forward is immediately close to getting a game because we have absolutely no depth there.

Our good draft picks from the last three years are either midfielders who are in the team or marking defenders/forwards who are stuck behind veterans the coaches don’t want to drop.

It’s why I think we should shop Hurley around because we’ll get something good for him (hopefully in a position we actually need) and we replace him with Ridley who will hopefully play that position well in the future, even if he doesn’t quite get to Hurley’s level you should effectively get two senior players for one.

1 Like

The similarities with last year’s game are definitely there. But we’ve won 6 from the last 8 and have been great on the road this year. It’s going to be interesting to see how we finish the year. Injuries aren’t helping, but I think it’s important we finish the season strongly. Looking forward to seeing what the next 6 weeks bring.

3 Likes

It took longer than I’d hoped for us to break them, but we did eventually, finished the game well and if not for some poor goalkicking the margin of victory could’ve been in excess of 10 goals. We got big numbers from the usual suspects in midfield. Heppell, Zach and Dev, but to me the most pleasing aspect was the return of Parish, who by the finish was in everything and showed that he could be the clearance/contested possession midfielder we crave for, and the continual improvement in Langford. Add to that Guelfi, who impresses with every outing at this level, McGrath, who again is starting to look more at home in the midfield, and Connor, there’s a good group of under 22/23 types that are getting that 40-50 games under the belt. Their best footy is clearly ahead of them.

PS: The more you look at that Dev Smith trade, I’m surprised we got such a quality player for Pick 11 and our 2nd rounder from this year, but also getting extra picks to allow us to get the Saad and Stringer deals done.

5 Likes

Looking back over other recent results, it seems that they have managed to keep other teams to the same margin recently.

Carrara is a unique ground, it seems to be a bit more ‘lush’ than other grounds. Probably because of the lack of use and open stadium giving the grass more sun. Therefore teams take some time to adjust to the conditions.

We have managed to fix the ‘away curse’ this year and apart from Carlton have put the ■■■■ teams away who we should beat. These are two big developments for the team even if this year is wasted.

2 Likes

How good was Guelfi. Really coming on. Easily one of the top 7 players.

4 Likes

Ugly win but I’ll take it. Loved Guelfi’s game. If Walla had been accurate he would have had a blinder. Smallest crowd I’ve ever been at. Also shout out to the GC fan who wants Jobe’s brownlow taken off the “phonies” and given back to its rightful owner.

23 Likes

But somehow we got away with it this time. Good on you boys.

1 Like

Sick of us constantly playing the same exact side.

Went to the game, colyer an mcniece just awful, makes no sense carrying a player like colyer for so many years. He ain’t goin to get better. just worried that this obsession to finish in the finals is just stalling the progress for who should be our future players for complete hacks that just don’t have it

1 Like

uhuh thats my ■■■■

1 Like

Side note, and this may be a crazy theory, I’m beginning to think the 6-7 injury backups that were out there aren’t as good as the guys they replace. (Fanta/Colyer, Gleek/Dea, Stringer/McNernan, Zaha/Long, JD/Brown, anyone/McNeice).

I’m wondering if we wouldn’t do better with more of our best players out there.

28 Likes

Our stupid coaches should be playing those guys

9 Likes

In all seriousness though, you can see why a club must have 3 or 4 more mature depth players on the list. As much as people are whinging about wanting to play the youngsters, most of the youngsters that are available and playing VFL at the moment are out of form and not ready to play at the moment. Ridley, Mutch, Clarke are all down on their better form from earlier in the year.

Francis is really the only youngster currently making a case. If he’s picked in the next week or two, I’m not sure what selections people are going to have to whinge about.

2 Likes

Yep.

IMO only McNeice has really disappointed, altho Colyer’s making a pretty good case.

Just on mcniece, i know he’s like 25-26ish but can you really consider him a mature depth player in terms of afl experience? plays like a fresh draftee with no confidence for much of his jaunts up to afl.

1 Like

McNeice will stay in next week I reckon and there’ll be another meltdown on Thursday night.

If Fanta is fit i’d drop Colyer and give Long another one. I still think a Colyer offers more long term, but it can’t hurt to give Long a few more weeks.

If Zaka is fit, i’d give him a week in the VFL. He’s another one who doesn’t have a great record returning from injury.

Is Saad injured?

Very much agree, if zaka doesn’t trust his body hes very much a passenger. don’t colyer him back in please.

1 Like

We all want to see Francis in, and hope it occurs next week in an indoor stadium that would suit his game.
Please rest Goddard before a tough stretch of games so this can happen.

The other one is Laverde.
Showed some signs yesterday, but another almost game from him.
If he builds on it and plays well/very well in the VFL next week, I believe the selectors will be tempted to give him a go in the Stringer role against Sydney, and possibly Hawthorn (if the String is not back by then).