EFC Active Area now on sale

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Already signed up. Perfect for me as I used to be in the CS, now stand with the GS. My ageing legs need to sit down now & then so this are will be perfect.

Just a note to Ryan, the absolute KEY to making this a success is some form of collusion with the CS & GS. There’s no point having the CS racing through “Essendon clap clap clap” at a million miles an hour, the GS chanting “Joey Daniher” to the tune of give it up & this new sections capo trying to get “We are Essendon” going round the stadium. It will be a huge mess. You MUST MUST MUST get Dodgey involved in this initiative as he is the person who can lift those around him & lead a cheer that all groups will follow.

Surely the different zones could complement each other. If one zone is already chanting something, either join in, or at least let them finish before you start.

You would hope so but we already have the CS & GS competing with each other & I’m not sure either group is now going to yield. The issue is when a goal, is scored - everyone get up yells & screams then the CS usually start up an Essendon chant & you can even have 2-3 different chants start from different areas of the GS. The whole thing needs a leader or at least a leadership group who control the cheers & I don’t reckon the CS in particular are going to like the idea of that leader not being the CS.

Yeah but can’t see the GS or this new active area getting involved in the cheer squad’s rowdy rendition of “KNIT ONE PERL ONE”…

A reply to: @JBOMBER regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Already signed up. Perfect for me as I used to be in the CS, now stand with the GS. My ageing legs need to sit down now & then so this are will be perfect.

Just a note to Ryan, the absolute KEY to making this a success is some form of collusion with the CS & GS. There’s no point having the CS racing through “Essendon clap clap clap” at a million miles an hour, the GS chanting “Joey Daniher” to the tune of give it up & this new sections capo trying to get “We are Essendon” going round the stadium. It will be a huge mess. You MUST MUST MUST get Dodgey involved in this initiative as he is the person who can lift those around him & lead a cheer that all groups will follow.

Surely the different zones could complement each other. If one zone is already chanting something, either join in, or at least let them finish before you start.

You would hope so but we already have the CS & GS competing with each other & I’m not sure either group is now going to yield. The issue is when a goal, is scored - everyone get up yells & screams then the CS usually start up an Essendon chant & you can even have 2-3 different chants start from different areas of the GS. The whole thing needs a leader or at least a leadership group who control the cheers & I don’t reckon the CS in particular are going to like the idea of that leader not being the CS.

This is why a capo is a must!

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Yep, you need a Capo. it works well in the A-League, you need someone co-ordinating the chants and the group.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Yep, you need a Capo. it works well in the A-League, you need someone co-ordinating the chants and the group.

Also need the new active area to take up an entire section.

NAPIER STREET ELITE

Red and Black Brigade

RBB OLE OLE OLE

Brass Band?

So is it right to assume that room for this active area has been made by reducing the rows for the cheer squad and hence those whom have reserved seats in the same bay behind the cheer squad (and in front of the standing grog squad) will remain unaffected?

Active area
Reserved
Seat
End

Needs more flares and organized scraps.

Quoted Post

Active area Reserved Seat End

Active
Support
And
denom demom denon Demonstrative behaviour
Area

Quoted Post

Needs more flares and organized scraps.

We need a massive banner of Hird’s face that gets moved along with the crowd.

Probably a good thing Stephen Milne has retired before the club got this going…

Quoted Post

Probably a good thing Stephen Milne has retired before the club got this going..

He still knows what he is.

Awesome initiative Ryan, can’t wait to hear it in action!

Alright rapid fire response, here we go:

• Alcohol yes. Though similar to what you’d expect at a soccer match, this section might have a slightly elevated level of security. And we’ll take a hard line against hooliganism-type acts, anti-social behaviour, racism, etc. But obviously we understand a bit of colourful language and inebriation will occur :slight_smile:
  • As has been said, a Capo is critical to being that bridge between the CS and GS. I actually see that person as being the leader of the chants in that section but I would leave that to them to discuss and coordinate. I can tell you that despite it seeming like the CS and GS are off, they are both open to working together.
  • When we presented to the AFL, they indicated that we were the only club doing this and they are interested in supporting us where needed and using as a bit of a test case.
  • Tifo is an italian term I believe, but basically just means supporter style banners, flags, chants, etc.
  • I agree having that bay with specific messages on banners, giant faces, flags, etc. would be amazing. Again, the fan-led stuff is the best way to go here, but I’m open to kicking in a bit of cash at the start just to help the group get off the ground.
  • In terms of switching seats if you’ve already purchased a membership, yes, just call the office and they’ll be happy to move you
  • If you didn’t want to sit in that section one week (because you had friends in town or whatever), your membership is still a GA membership, so you could still access the stadium and sit in the other GA bays (remember, GA is back for all games this year)
  • we are trying to figure out what to do with empty seats to ensure that bay is filled every game. It sort of depends how well it sells. If only 100 of the 200 seats sell, then we’ll probably have to open it up to walk-up sales (with strict rules against opposition supporters buying). But if, say, 180 sell, then we could look at giving the 20 extra to the Capo (or the committee) to dispurse amongst people in the group that want to bring a friend. We’re figuring this out as we go a little on this one.
  • Yes, only applies to H&A games in Melbourne. Interstate, we don’t have control over the inventory the same way. So we get a few rows for the CS behind the goals and then other allocations elsewhere in the stadium. Could be something we look into a down the road though, if the other teams/stadiums oblige.
  • Yes, the cheer squad has effectively reduced in size, comprised of the core group that take part in the primary cheer squad activities (which we monitored closely last year and advised all CS members prior to the season). The remaining people in that bay are being encouraged to be a part of this Active Area (it’s actually a slightly reduced ticket price, so a bit of a refund for them). But if they want a reserved seat and/or don’t want to be part of this type of area, we are working with them to relocate to the bay next to it. Bit of a case by case basis, but generally speaking, it shouldn’t be a dramatic change to those that sat in the area last season (except hopefully a louder and more unifed bay!).

Hope that explains some things, thanks for the interest.

Doing a good job Ryan :slight_smile:

I hope it becomes everything you hope it will be.

Magnificent idea.

Seriously though.

You guys need to get a blimp in the shape of a bomber, with a camera on it, and it can drop ping pong balls with prizes into the crowd, or dog poo on the opposition.

Also those compressed air bazookas and shoot hot dogs into the crowd like they do in the states.