EFC v Adelaide Rd 1 - 12 days on, match day thread

Why do people keep putting Raz in the same mismanagement bucket as Lav? What happened? I don’t recall it as anything like Lav. I thought it was the opposite where they rested him but that didn’t do the trick and they eventually opted for surgery

1 Like

He probably could have kicked 3 or 4 in the last but was inaccurate. Imo he certainly didn’t play on the wing but was involved in a couple of critical plays when high up the field as a forward.

Besides @Paul_Peos won the game for us by going for a cigarette. It destroyed Geelong’s momentum and set JD up for that epic running goal from 50.

7 Likes

they had about 15 tackles in a half of footy. Geelong that night were the definition of squibbing it. We duly put them to the sword.

They are Cale Hooker like stats…

1 Like

Right you are. Too early in morning for me! Ha!

I think it was reported he’d mentioned tightness at training and then they played him and rumuored he’d hurt quad/hammy so uproar followed.

But yes it’s just ITB so rest didn’t work. Quick clean up and he will be back.

Def the LAV scenario is the one where they let him play when likely nothing showed on a scan/he said he was fine and then he needed his leg amputated after the practice match

2 Likes

Hooker: forward or back?

Hooker: Cale or Matt?

1 Like

Wonder if we get a curve ball like Redman in as a lock down defender, He’s been training in that role for a while now, Could finally be his shot.

Would be very very disappointing if we lose this game by more than 2-3 goals.

Agreed, would be good for list balance to have he and McNiece competing to succeed Bags. No chance for Rd 1 though. I’d also hope he could be more than that despite Blitz writing him off.

1 Like

I would throw caution to the wind and play Myers. Hopefully he can last more than two minutes.

The other part of me feels like they dont want to take in too many players who might break down, particulary if parish plays and Fantasia(although doubtful).

I would be disappointed if we lose at all.

If we want to be the best we need to start beating the best.

3 Likes

Well, obviously all their fitness and medical staff are incompetent.

I’m tipping the Crows to win by about 3-4 goals.

So ■■■■■■ excited… can’t wait for the real stuff to start. I am hoping for a win, but honestly it would be an upset if we do.

However the positives for me:
It isn’t a “must win” situation… a loss to the crows (likely top 4) isn’t disgraceful and we wouldn’t have pencilled it in as a game we had to win. Ideally you win them all, but to make top 4 you really only have to win against bottom teams consistently and break even against top teams.

Our injury list, whilst growing, isn’t that bad and is in better shape that you may think. Myers is a loss, maybe, but he has been injured a lot and it isn’t that surprising that he is injured again. I certainly hope we don’t plan around that guy playing 22 each year. Langford gets his opportunity.

Ambrose is coming off a mare in JLT and there are some who don’t think he is ahead of Brown and/or Hartley anyway. Personally I have Ambrose as my preferred FB, but the drop off to Brown and Hartley isn’t huge.

Gleeson is a big loss, but we do have some pieces that could swing and be that intercept marking role. Also the recruitment of Saad means we still have plenty of ‘run’ off HB.

Fanta is, of course, the major hit… the big blow… a huge out for us but by all reports he will be back next week. So missing 1 week isn’t the end of the world. Also countered by them losing Tex.

The rest of the injuries are all fringe players at best… and relatively short term. So we are actually looking OK on the injury front imho.

The last positive is that maybe these injuries will make Woosha swing Hooker back… and he will dominate and that will end the debate over his best position. It will remind everyone, including some fans on here, that this guy is a solid to above average forward for sure but he was elite elite elite as a backman…

I will be gutted by a loss though… come on Bombers… #17 starts here!

13 Likes

I can handle a loss to the Crows, But there’s a way to lose.

1 Like

Bring It On. FCS.

Also this happened

13 Likes

So the club legend we’re honouring on Friday is Wanganeen. Happy with that!

1 Like

Hurls also threw danger into the fence

5 Likes

Can we win, or are our outs too much to cover?