EFC v Adelaide Rd 1 - 12 days on, match day thread

Does anyone remember that game where we played adelaide at etihad and they were ridiculously accurate? That was the last adelaide v bombers game i’ve been to :frowning:

1 Like

2015 where they kicked them out of their clackers. 27.9 for memory. They kicked 24.9 against us at AO last year aswell and pretty sure there was another that was like 20.9 or similar in the last few years also

There was a game where Tippett kicked about 7.0 and Matthew “I was going to teach them team defence next year” Knights played 3 underdone players returning from injury and surprise, surprise crows ran over us quite easily.

1 Like

I feel like there’s been heaps - it’s always Adelaide

Round 4 2017 - 24.9. 153
Round 20 2015 - 27.9. 171
EF 2009 - 26.10. 166
Round 11 2009 - 21.4. 130 (I think this is the one everybody is remembering)
Round 10 2006 - 30.8. 188
Round 11 2005 - 24.7. 151

Farken hell

2 Likes

I’m running this Friday in the 155m ladbrokes sprint at MVRC. Pete is now doing carlton games this year, apparently he isn’t too happy hahah.

1 Like

I take the blame for that one. Tippett was lining up for his first from about 50 and I turned to my mates and said this bloke can’t kick for ■■■■! 7.1 later or something like that. My bad.

whos the mc now?

that shouting two from last year?

Tgat 2009 one was the one where they were jagging from 50 metres out on the boundary and pretty much every low percentage shot.

Pretty sure it was anyway.

4 Likes

No Darc. That’s frustrating. Any potential benefits of some Crow players not playing has been shot, well and truly, out of the water.

Colyer, Fantasia, Gleeson, Laverde, Parish … all best 22 with 3 of the 5 being huge losses

Still not excited for the season opener yet, perhaps if my membership card turns up it will finally sink in that it’s footy season again. Fingers crossed

2014 was last time Essendon beat Crows at Etihad. 2015 and 16 were saga related wrote offs.

Last year were the embarrassing losses where Essendon attempted to play the Adelaide brand of footy and got blown off the park.

The losses weren’t solely down to personnel. What will Essendon bring to the table on Friday? An improved all ground defence or will they try to run and gun again? Wonder what plan the coaches have for covering the big outs? Will the game plan stack up?

Unlike round 1 2017 I’m super anxious, fearful the boys won’t get the job done. Yea, it’s only round 1 but the Bombers have a tough month of footy. They don’t want to be chasing their tails all year long.

Agree re out start to the season. You often see sides who make big strides from one season to the next made blistering starts to a season. Richmond went 5-0 to start 2017. The Dogs went 4-1 I think in 2016. I’d want us to do something similar. We are a little behind the 8-ball in terms of personnel missing for Friday, which could be exacerbated if Parish is out for any length of time. The Crows are a quality outfit. A win here would do wonders for our confidence.

1 Like

I don’t we were that bad in the Etihad clash last year. I was at the game and didn’t think we were that far off it to be honest.

Adelaide were just to good on the night.

5 Likes

Missed Fantasia and Merrett through injury and suspension respectively that night as well. We were in the game for periods but they kicked a few red time goals every quarter just as we got within striking distance. That’s what separates the top sides from the middle of the pack ones…

1 Like

Welcome to EFC Mr Stringer!

Parish in having scans (on what, not sure). Sounds as though he’s an unlikely starter Friday as well.
according to AFL website

Essendon had a few games like that last year where on the scoreboard they were within striking distance and were never going to win. Will be interesting to see if they can bridge the gap this year?

Yeah, we weren’t rubbish at all that night. Adelaide just had that little bit extra. Haven’t heard one of our crowds as loud as what we got in the 3rd when JoeDan went nuts for about 7 mins

3 Likes

Adelaide were clearly the best side in the comp last year on my opinion and they are a far more mature outfit when you look at their key players.

It will be a good measuring stick to see how much we have improved.

Yep, a couple of times I thought we could go on with it but some little things halted our momentum at different stages.