EFC v Adelaide Rd 1 - 12 days on, match day thread

And yet 50% of Blitz was for that very same decision before the game, yet the backpedalling after the game was revisionist at it’s best.

TBC would have got flogged regardless, it was wet so I reckon it was worth the gamble myself, but we got so flogged around the ground in general play that game, I don’t reckon even having Simon Madden playing for us at his peak would have made much difference

1 Like

Fair call. That is “Plan A” harrass the midfield to pressure them into poor disposal inside 50. “Plan B” is to crowd up space in their defence. A good side can actually do both if the mids have great engines and are prepared to work back into the D50 spaces once they’ve lost posession in the midfield. I feel our pressure has never been great in the midfield, so therefore “Plan B” was what I was suggesting, because we have the set up (assuming Hooker plays back) to fill the holes well. I’d love us to execute “Plan A” but I have rarely seen it. Don’t forget Houli was instrumental in swinging the game early, as the Crows looked dangerous early, as Houli played as a ‘sweeper’ and filled the space consistently. For all of the hysteria about Martin, IMO Houli was the one that swung the GF for the Tigers by “manning the space” as it were.

l have also tipped us to win. No upset result, Adelaide is a v good team but we are ready to begin our ascent, at their expense.

7 Likes

For something to be considered gambling, there has to be a potential pay off.

1 Like

Our ruck stocks were wafer thin (from memory Hille & Paddy both injured), the theory was that Hooker & NLM would be more mobile & do some damage around the ground cause Maric wasn’t very mobile.

The wet game actually suited his style of rucking, but if you think that TBC (who was only 9 games into his career) would have made much of a difference (2009 stats avg = 2.5 marks, 6 disposals, 9 hitouts in his 6 games for the year) , then that is revisionist thinking at it’s best

Didn’t Hirdy not play a ruckman against Nic Natanui in Perth one day? I seem to remember he had a day out on us that day too.

Actually someone posted NLM cleaning up Kerr recently & that showed Heath Hocking going up in the ruck against Cox, I think?

No-ones spoken of Belly being a factor yet.

A big game from his needed against Jacobs too. Crucial.

1 Like

I don’t think it would have made a single bit of difference to that scoreline.

That doesn’t stop it from being stupid, though.

Anyway… This has possibly all been covered before, so I’ll stop.

1 Like

WIsh we still had Hibberd and Carlisle…would fill massive holes for us.

5 Likes

And Ryder

All those guys leaving has gained us squat in reality. And they are all class players.

Crameri don’t care as we got Zerrett, and now picked up Stewart for zilch so covered him.

1 Like

Let me see. IIRC we received:

Langford and Cooney for Ryder.
Francis for Carlisle (there was some other stuff exchanged but this was effectively it).
Begley for Hibberd.

Yeah … We are a fair way behind.

2 Likes

I’ve also got us having picked up

Redman for Melksham
Fantasia for Gumbleton

Soooo… yeah.

Sides lose good players all the time and don’t necessarily get will compensated for them or burn the draft picks. It doesn’t necessarily hold them back.

I can’t be arsed doing the cost benefit analysis of each of these but some recent examples spring to mind.

Dogs won a flag despite losing lake, harbrow, Ward, Griffen,

Crows made a gf despite losing Bock, Davis, Tippett, Gunston, Dangerfield

We have to stop looking backwards and start dealing with what is in front of us We’ve got enough talent to be right amongst it and we’re probably one or two acquisitions away from having very few, if any, weaknesses.

27 Likes

I can live without Hibberd, but Carlisles absence is sorely, sorely missed.

1 Like

This is so far from a win it’s not funny.

It’s so far from the Raz to Gumby win, it’s not in the same stratosphere

I reckon Redman will not make it (& may even be dumped at the end of this season) & I half expect Melksham to have his best season ever as a goal kicking half forward this year.

1 Like

The discussion around Ryder, Carlisle and Melksham surprises me.

None were performing anywhere near the level with us and didn’t want to be there.

You win some you lose some.

2 Likes

Carlisle could even come back when he realises st Kilda is farked.

7 Likes

Hird knew how to play Melksham. In the nail biters he was supreme.

2 Likes

He was very inconsistent.

I’m happy he’s moved to greener pastures.

10 Likes

THIS.

Discussion is fine, but it’s just speculation. What happened at another club when a player leaves us does not mean they would have done the same if they stayed. Too many variables.

3 Likes