Elections in Europe

The best result would be another referendum. Apparently a long shot, but still a chance.

1 Like

I would love to see Theresa May declare an “oopsie” and request a mulligan.

1 Like

General word in the UK now is May should win the vote, due in an hour or so.

I disagree. They’ve been prepared to work with UK, when the EU have every right to make demands of the UK as they correctly hold all the power.

May won

365 days to go…

Barely. Also had less votes than Thatcher when she resigned if I read that correctly.

A win is a win. Especially when everyone thought she was gone.

To hear Jacob Rees-Mogg talk calls to mind the feeling that you’d like to see a lightning bolt come down and strike someone.

2 Likes

The point is that May is clinging to her office out of sheer desperation whilst Thatcher had the self-awareness to see that the jig was up.

Some funny guy with no actual political experience (he played the part of a disenchanted school teacher who goes ape about corruption in a video rant which goes viral which then leads to him becoming president of Ukraine) has actually become president of Ukraine.

No bullsh/t.

With 73% of the popular vote too.

That’s what happens when both sides of the establishment screw the citizenry so much that they have no choice but to turn to some random comedian.

2 Likes

Imagine if he turns out to be a raging success! Opens up all sorts of possibilities - Mr Gormsby for NZ PM

1 Like

Tom Gleeson for PM

1 Like
6 Likes

I am in Vienna at present. I was told yesterday that there are eerie direct comparisons with Austria in the 1930s. Yesterday I was in Linz which has an appalling history when it comes to persecuting Jews, and nothing much has changed. Our little group which is three couples, one Australian, one Canadian and the other American all made the observation in Vienna last night that there are no colored people here and very few Asian.

Tomorrow we will be in Hungary which has a ult right Government, a close Mate of Don Trump. Germany ironically seems to be the beacon for Social Democracy in Europe.

3 Likes

This means nothing to me.

Budapest has a good melting pot of races, not so much in the rural areas. We commented the same about Vienna and found Salzburg and Innnsbruck much more culturally diverse.
We actually didn’t enjoy Vienna as much on the last couple of trips, still nice scenery but the people seemed a lot more drab and cold