Electric Motor Vehicles

How many people in Australia are living where it’s below zero. Probably tje same that need to tow a horse float.

It’s easy to pick holes in the liveability of EVs. They’ve really only been around a short while.

It is a fluff piece full of BS. Norway doesn’t seem to have any issues.

In a Tesla (and probably other EVs) when you set course for a charging station, it prepares the battery, I guess by warming it up.

4 Likes

Attack of the Clones

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/28/business/chinas-xiaomi-ev-launch-intl-hnk/

Was a bit of a beat up on old Tesla last night on 60 minutes.

All on the dangers of auto pilot, then a reminder its not available in Australia yet anyhow.

Followed by Nine mentioning they can be contacted on all the socials except X/Twitter.

Then it followed into 9 late news. First story - benefits of electrification, solar panels and a shot of an MG electric car backing into a driveway.

Seems like one media company has a bit of an axe to grind :skull:

1 Like

Very balanced and informed discussion of pros and cons of EV from James May:

3 Likes

Did Melbourne to Bright towing a trailer in the Ioniq5.

It’s 310ks and I could’ve made it there with about 5%-10% battery, but didn’t use the AC, and drive 5-10ks below the speed limit. The extra weight and drag just kills the range. So probably better to buy a bike rack or roof racks.

Charging with a trailer is total BS tho. I was lucky enough to be able to detach the trailer and sit it nearby, in order to reverse into the charging bay.

Also, at places like Glenrowan, which have almost zero internet, the charger can’t communicate back to base to tell it to begin charge. If you get a few hundred people at the servo / Maccas, then no one can charge, even if using an RFID or credit card.

2 Likes

this isn’t a great advertisement for an electric car.

:skull:

2 Likes

Live in suburban Australia, have solar panels, drive regularly for work.(particularly night work)

absolute no brainer in that scenario, its no wonder im seeing plenty of EVs as Didi/Ubers for evening rides

Great video, could listen to him speak all day. Also bang on the money there. He’s talking about a lack of infrastructure in the UK re EV charging, and we are well behind that even. I was over there last year and walking through London I saw a Shell service station that was full EV charging, no petrol bowsers whatsoever. I wouldn’t know where you’d go for public EV charging in Melbourne. Saw a very good piece from NBC in the USA about why EV haven’t taken off over there and it’s pretty much:

• Cost of EVs (too expensive)
  • Lack of infrastructure (public charging stations)
  • Length of time to charge

Until we get to a point where EVs start to cost as much as ICE cars, public charging is readily available and the length of time it takes to charge a car reduces, it won’t get mainstream appeal. I’ll be looking at a new car in the next year or so, will probably still stick with ICE but then after that in 5-10 years once EVs are more reasonably priced, public charging infrastructure is improved and reliability of the batteries is better then I’ll get one.

i’d actually argue that there is more charging than people think, but you need to have a few different apps to find it all.

2 Likes

Here’s an idea for the engineers to work on:

Have your built-in car battery for home-charging, and for long range use. Then have a second modular battery built to an International standard. These batteries can be swapped in at a servo like changeover BBQ gas bottles, and would give you say 100kms range. They would be a bit heavy, but you put wheels on the bottom, and an extendable handle on the top, and roll them into a powered lift cradle at the back of the car . In this way, the service station needs less infrastructure to start supporting EVs, which means more servos can stock them. It would be quicker, it would mean less charger anxiety when away from home because you know you will probably have a changeover battery at the next servo if you need it. Once it starts turning a profit, service stations could even install a solar charger to top up their modular batteries.

You’re welcome.

4 Likes

this actually looks good

1 Like

Wow - super impressive. Who would have ever thought a phone manufacturer could launch their own car (admittedly with probably a bit of IP help).

Apart from wanting one, key thing that stuck out to me was the focus on integration and connectivity. Could be a real game changer and it’s something that has turned me off the Tesla. Maybe I’m narrow minded - and appreciate it’s a potential revenue stream for car companies - but seamless integration with my devices is the future in my view. Not needed to pay $10/month for features like traffic and navigation after 8 years.

If nothing else, i welcome the pressure companies like Xiaomi will put on others.

2 Likes

Who is the charging provider there, and how many kV is it ? We have a friend who tows his boat with his Tesla Y, going mostly to the Murray ski-ing. He has an extension cord for charging.

He says similar things to you, but he reckons that it was about the same issues with his Landcruiser, in that pulling a boat really knocks the driving range around.

1 Like

No-one has ever said EVs are perfect. But I guarantee that in 10 years you will not be able to buy any ICE vehicles, and affording the fuel in old units will be an issues.

1 Like

Maybe, all car classes are adopting hybrid drive trains. Thats pushing fuel economy right down.

Electric vehicles as per the video with James May need to get better to be right for everyone.

I think he’s right. The best EV might be a light one, (small battery) that can easily be recharged frequently for day to day use.

Then the issue then becomes chargers everywhere and overnight charge at home/on street infrastructure.

Not the mega 1000km range types. Range is for diesel/petrol hybrids at present. Battery tech needs some leaps and bounds.

wont be able to afford ICE or there just wont be any new ice vehicles?

A number of manufacturers are planing to move away from ICE by 2030, eg:

it will be a shame to never hear that boxer engine go past again

1 Like