Engagement Parties

Are engagement parties something that is necessary is this world?

Share your thoughts here.

Personally I think they are a croc.

For us, we just had a dinner with brothers and sisters and partners. Went to Silks.

Havnig another lunch with our grandparents and that's it.

Can’t remember mine. By all reports I had a good time

I think even weddings are a croc. Why pay thousands of $ for a ■■■■■■ party? You could buy a tv, or have an epic holiday. If you want the sheet of paper go to the registry office. BTW, this is just my opinion, its just something that wouldn’t be for me. I understand people really dream of this occasion though.

A lot of women dream of that occassion. We are looking forward to our wedding, not looking forward to having to invite about 400 people, with only roughly 50% who I actually talk too.

I think even weddings are a croc. Why pay thousands of $ for a ■■■■■■ party? You could buy a tv, or have an epic holiday. If you want the sheet of paper go to the registry office. BTW, this is just my opinion, its just something that wouldn't be for me. I understand people really dream of this occasion though.

I reckon that's what the gays are really stroppy about.

In essence, they've got equal rights on pretty well everything else.

They'd reinvigorate the whole wedding reception industry.

6. getting massively ■■■■■■ and sizing up bridesmaids

I think engagement parties are ridiculous. You can add kitchen tea parties to that list.

I think weddings are nice so long as you don’t put yourself or your parents into debt for it. I work in lending and when you sometimes see people borrowing 50k plus for a wedding it makes you cringe. If you’re already loaded, go for it.

Don’t even get me started on engagement rings.

whats a kitchen tea party?

Have the engagement party at Maccas. I hear they do really good parties.

whats a kitchen tea party?

For the bride, also called a bridal shower.

I don't give out engagement gifts. Suckers have to actually get married before prying anything out of my parsimonious pockets.

I don't give out engagement gifts. Suckers have to actually get married before prying anything out of my parsimonious pockets.

Been bitten by that one. Sheila broke off the engagement, legged it with the prezzies and the groom-to-be strung himself in the backyard from the clothesline.

Happy days!

What a heart-warming story.

Been bitten by that one. Sheila broke off the engagement, legged it with the prezzies and the groom-to-be strung himself in the backyard from the clothesline.

Happy days!

that's ■■■■■■ horrible

If you have a large circle of close friends (and I think this probably depends on how young you marry) then I think an engagement party is a great idea.

Shouldn't expect gifts though.

And I want a date.  Without a date, sorry, you're not engaged.

Engagement parties are ideally for celebrating the occasion with people who wont be able to attend the wedding.

Because we dont have that many friends 95% of the people we would have invited to the engagement party would have attended the wedding so we didn't have one. we just had a celebratory dinner with our parents.

FYI I put it is a way to score gifts, which it seems to be for most of the ones i have attended.

These days when most people have lived with their partner or on their own prior to getting married, you dont really need the gifts anyway as you already own a toaster and a kettle etc..  We had a wishing well at our wedding which helped cover for the cost of the wedding and gave us some spending money for our Honeymoon. But overall i believe we were out of pocket a couple of grand even though my mum paid the bar tab and father in law chipped in a few grand for the Reception.

Engagement parties are ideally for celebrating the occasion with people who wont be able to attend the wedding.

Because we dont have that many friends 95% of the people we would have invited to the engagement party would have attended the wedding so we didn't have one. we just had a celebratory dinner with our parents.

FYI I put it is a way to score gifts, which it seems to be for most of the ones i have attended.

These days when most people have lived with their partner or on their own prior to getting married, you dont really need the gifts anyway as you already own a toaster and a kettle etc..  We had a wishing well at our wedding which helped cover for the cost of the wedding and gave us some spending money for our Honeymoon. But overall i believe we were out of pocket a couple of grand even though my mum paid the bar tab and father in law chipped in a few grand for the Reception.

We're doing a wishing well at the wedding and a registry for the kitchen tea.

Oh seriously who the hell cares. Have whatever party/wedding/1950’s kitcheny thing you and your partner want and makes you both happy.

Only proviso I would make would be to look at two things…everything else you could do with whatever amount of money this is costing …and the divorce rate.

Please shoot me if I ever take into consideration the divorce rate before marrying someone I love.