England: 10 years to save the Lettuce

More English Tory bad faith. They signed an agreement: now let them stick to it.

1 Like

Boris is looking to Peppa Pig World as a model of fiscal redemption in the post Brexit shambles.

"ā€¦The real lesson for me going to Peppa Pig Worldā€¦ was about the power of UK creativity.

"Who would have believed a pig who looks likeā€¦ a Picasso like hairdryer, a pig that was rejected by the BBC, would now be exported to 180 countries and theme parks both in America and China, as well as in the New Forest and be a business worth at least Ā£6bn to this country and counting.

ā€œI think that is pure genius donā€™t you? No government in the world, no Whitehall civil servant, would have conceivably come up with Peppa.ā€

Liberal Democrat leader Ed Davey said: ā€œBusinesses are crying out for clarity. Instead, all they got was Boris Johnson rambling on about Peppa Pigā€¦ā€

I know you all hate Boris, but you have to laugh at his buffoonery sometimes.

Time to broaden this topic IceTemple. Something like: ā€œDisunited Kingdom, Post Brexitā€ or, ā€œEngland: Going it alone post Brexitā€, or some such.

At least that gives our regular posters scope to rubbish the UK about everything , and stay on topic !

1 Like

done

As bad as he is he still ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  on scomo.
And he is really bad.

Boris is looking really shaky. The delay in shafting him now is probably more about the rest of the Tory leadership ringing around trying to figure out numbers.

Funny thing is, heā€™s doing a lot that the ā€œleftā€ like e.g. only electric cars from 2030, zero carbon by whenever, raising taxes, fazing out gas in the home , therefore ailinating his conservative base. He may be a bit of a book head, but history just might look kindly on him.

1 Like

Apart from raising taxes, I thought Tories were pro acting on climate change. Different to conservatives here.

2 Likes

Theyā€™ve already closed the coal mines via Thatcher, so maybe that part of it isnā€™t so much of a hurt.

1 Like

Itā€™s all a bit different over there. They love their rambling, yomping all very part of the British middle upper class identity.

If any brits want to pull me up go for it.

Prince jughead is a good example.

Their whole political spectrum is a lot greener than ours.

A scouser I used to work with moved here at about 30. Reckons he didnā€™t see the sky until he came here. And itā€™s 50 times cleaner there now.

1 Like

Heā€™s listening to his father, the well-known Green Tory.

1 Like

UK was one of the first to legislate a Clean Air Act , around 1955 after the great London smog of 1952 and when central heating was not that common.
It was localised in its rules ( mostly London chimney smoke from domestic coal fires) but has been progressively expanded to industrial air pollution across the country. Nuclear power helped a lot.

1 Like

Yeah my Wife is English. We spend a fair bit of time driving between her mum and dadā€™s places. They live in Leicester and up in Hull. On the drive you will see Nuclear power stations and then plenty of wind farms including the offshore version. Itā€™s quite funny when you see it, nuclear next to renewables.

A good mix of all except coal here would be good, but we are so brainwashed that nuclear is bad.

2 Likes

And it is bad, because no one has come up with a credible solution for the disposal of nuclear waste, and the prevention of accidents. Ever hear of the Windscale Disaster ? 1957, a huge fire at the Windscale nuclear plant in Cumbria, releasing huge amount of radioactivity into the environment. Because of the bad publicity (never mind the harm done by the serious radiation leaks) they even renamed the site. Itā€™s now called Sellafield. And itā€™s still releasing radioactive waste into the Irish Sea. The Irish - those of them who care about the ongoing pollution of their environment by their bigger neighbour - are not happy about it, but what can they do about it ?

2 Likes

The solution to the worldā€™s nuclear waste is Australia.

Weā€™ve the most stable geology in the world. We could mine deep underground and create a world class disposal facility.

And then we could charge mega $$$ for nations to send us their waste.

It would do the world an immense amount of good and would balance the uranium exports we distribute and wash our hands of. Critically, it would create a massive industry and source of wealth.

But alas, NIMBY stopped it happening.

4 Likes

Chernobyl and that Japan incident.
I was living in Brussels at the time of Chernobyl . Everyone noted that France had sited its reactors on the borders with other countries, as far away as possible from French population centres - not that it mattered much as the reindeer in Norway were contaminated by their radioactive fodder caused by Chernobyl.

And then Santa spread it all over the damn globe!

It would explain Rudolphs glowing nose, though.

2 Likes

The alternative view to that is ā€œā– ā– ā– ā–  no, get rid of your own ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  wasteā€

2 Likes