England: 10 years to save the Lettuce

Isn’t the UK election in like 3years?

Surely king Charlie could call an emergency election, or do the monarchs only get to toss out colonial prime ministers?

1 Like

Housing crisis?

3 Likes

Housing crisis?
What crisis?

2 Likes

Mind you, I’m pretty sure the unprecedented police-state powers that the Tories want to institute are actually weaker than the various anti-protest laws that we have in Australia now, so it’s not like we really have a high horse to get on when it comes to this particular issue…

3 Likes

The article mentions electronic tracking of “regular protesters.” Do we have anything so draconian in Australia?

Mind you, I was tempted to post this in the Climate Change thread, as those protesters are the clear targets of this bill.

Tories are following the lead of Dictator Dan.

But at least the Poms don’t have any old growth forests that are getting woodchipped for Japan.

2 Likes

Sunak probably needs to call a General Election as a strike breaker. He is fast running out of legitimate options.

Why on earth would he do that? He’d be trounced. He’s still got two years or more to be prime minister.

2 Likes

Legitimacy flew out the window a few PMs ago and a head of lettuce.

In English, word order matters.

That sense make doesn’t.

Boris & corruption? Not possible I hear you all say!

2 Likes
3 Likes

Check out his smirk.

This thread is hilarious…

1 Like

Britain has become much poorer. Things will get worse when the rest of the world fully figures that out (IMO).

1 Like

But can’t feel too sanguine when 1 GBP still equals about 2 AUD and they still own much of this country.

Except the UK median wage is about 640 GBP per week while the Australian median wage is about AUD 1250 per week. So that stronger UK dollar equalises the wages, it doesn’t buy more. In fact, if you can buy less with that 640GBP then even with the exchange rate, the buying power is weaker.

And do the British really own that much of Australia? (serious question)

2 Likes

From my visits to the UK it seemed to me that most things were available at the same figure pound-for-dollar, ie something that costs $5 here would be 5 pound there. So that made things expensive for us. The Poms weren’t acting like it was expensive for them, and when they come here they think things are really cheap if paying with GBP

Yeah, I have a stack of rellies still there and whilst a few of them have money most are just on the average wage and are still able to live a relatively comfortable life. Most of their houses are of the size what I would consider units here but they are comfortable and they claim they don’t need any more space. I lived in London briefly in my younger years and have returned close to 50 times and although I could live there I much prefer living in Australia