England: Mr Bates versus the Establishment

The John Major govt “Private Finance Initiative” led to this. Always a good idea to open up public services to private companies. Always ends up with better outcomes for the public, never any nest feathering, post politics board appointing, dehumanisation, or suicides.

8 Likes

Yeah, the Horizon Post Office stuff is a massive story over here. I’ve still got the drama (Mr. Bates vs the Post Office) to watch but it was built up a lot before the story dominated the headlines here.

3 Likes

And it just gets worse this …

The more you dig and go back to what sounds like Horizon’s predecessor or related accounting system introduced back in the early 90s. Capture.

This is similar to Robodebt but ten times worse.

3 Likes
6 Likes

haha! That was an amusing read. A rare journo who can write so well. I especially liked the line “certain high-profile supporters … really put the moron into oxymoron”

4 Likes

“Even so, let’s just remind ourselves of the full updated CV. Nigel Farage has now been a banker, a politician and a journalist. In order to amass all six infinity stones of the LinkedIn profile, of course, he will need to swell that resume with estate agent, traffic warden and sex offender. But look, if anyone can do it, Nigel can. Underestimate him at your peril, and so on.”

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: That is fantastic writing!

6 Likes

I see David Frost’s name in there…not the original and best, I know…but what fun the original would have with doing those John Cleese/Ronnie Barker/Ronnie Corbett routines on current British politics.

2 Likes
1 Like

The TV Show, Mr Bates versus the Post Office is on C7 on Wed 8.50pm

6 Likes

As terminal as you can get.

1 Like

Labours turn to ■■■■ up by the look of it.

Nah, you were just a stupid git.

6 Likes

Marina Hyde is one of the best.

1 Like

I think you’re being excessively polite.

1 Like

She was a Lib Dem once ol’ lettuce leaf Liz.

But I reckon she copped an almighty bolt of lightning out walking about one day … and woke up convinced she was the new Maggie Thatcher.

Anyways, back to this god awful shocking PO scandal.

Fujitsu, just cough up a lazy £2bn for your scandalous system and part in this coverup, and basically gtfo.

3 Likes

Seems the attendies at CPAC had no idea who she was, or even cared to find out.

But she’s unique. The only living former PM to have served as PM under two monarchs!
( if not one of the shortest terms as PM).

2 Likes

Church of England minister as well as boss of the Post Office. Should get gaol time for what she put people through.

2 Likes

“a hotel room less than half full”

At least they matched attendance to her mental capacity.

1 Like