English Premier League 2018/19

It’s bigger than massive. A majority of the other oil takeovers where at clubs that represented value for investment (PSG as an example) due to their location and current supporter base.

Newcastle is one of England’s largest clubs with arguably one of the biggest fan/supporter bases, a modern stadium, modern facilities and since Sunderland’s fall from grace no real regional competitor. Both PSG and City were tiny by comparison.

The prospective owner/s are not in this to create a profit, they are in it to win things, and will spend what they need to do so. This will turn the Big 6 into the Big 7, then eventually (if the owner’s are successful) into the Big 1.

Of course the flip side of this is once the owner gets bored they will cut and run and leave the place in ruins.

I don’t see this taking 4 or 5 years, with rafa at the helm and a professional organisation already in place they could be challenging for the title in a season or so

I agree with you on nearly all of what you said except I think it will take at least 2-3 seasons. New players need to gel and rarely get it done in the first season.

Bit of sad news, I was shocked and saddened when I read it.

3 Likes

Just read that.
That’s terrible.

Sad. Way too young. 38? Still a pup. An ‘invincible’ who enjoyed plenty of success. Surely, the FA Cup win over Man U, after being red carded, must have ranked up there with the best of em? :blush:

Eriksen is definitely going to leave.
Wants a new challenge.
Fair enough not going to hold that against him.
To be honest we made The Champs League final without getting much out of him in that Comp but in the EPL itself he was better than good.
Hopefully will get a decent replacement with the coin we get for his sale and get a good player to fill the void.

Sad one for me because I loved watching him play but so be it.

2 Likes

He could be your Coutinho. Sell him for the highest value that you’ll ever get for him, then reinvest that money into areas in the squad you need to strengthen. The Coutinho sale basically paid for VVD and Alisson’s transfer fees.

4 Likes

Anyone seen Lo Celso play?
I’m only reading the rumour bullcrap but he is linked with us.

Which areas do you think need most strengthening? I heard the opinion that another Eriksen type playmaker was already needed even before he was going to leave.

Yep you have to remember Dembele left for China reasonably early last season.
He was very important for us also.
Going to have to grab some class attacking player for the centre of the park.

We Defintely need a classy backup striker for Harry - his ankles don’t last a season.
Filling the void with the likes of Jansen and Lorente doesn’t really cut the mustard.

Not sure about Trippier or Danny Rose anymore.

1 Like

You will get a ton of coin to replace him though with the sale, plus poch seems to get the best out of his players.as long as levy is not a cheapskate then you have nothing to worry about

1 Like

I’ll wait and see how it pans out mate - was reading the guy I mentioned would rather play for us over United because we made The Champs League and because Poch is coach.

Still upset like you he is leaving though.

1 Like

I actually wanted him when you guys got him. You got a few players that I wanted at Arsenal, Eriksen, Holtby (bullet dodged there) and Vertongen to name a few. Apparently we were interested and in the mix to get all of them.

I thought he was reportedly a few months ago off but I thought the Ajax and Man City ties and then the final would have been enough of a carrot to dangle for him to remain.

Like others I would have thought UCL finallist, top 4 finish and the new stadium being a blank canvas to make incredible history would have been enough for him to stay at the very least one more season.

Bit like Phil, he would’ve looked at 6 years at Spurs, no trophy, I need to make a move. That’s why I’m so happy we won the CL, because now players like Salah, Mane, Firmino, etc have won something and they can continue to win things by staying. It also makes us more attractive to players wanting to move to a big club. The lure now of ending the title winning drought will be so great. Poch must win something soon otherwise who knows, Harry Kane may want a move in the next 1-2 years…

1 Like

TBH, Spurs have done remarkably well in recent seasons, given that they have done squat transfer wise. Levy is stingy - so the Spurs are kinda limited, hey?

Positional frailties?

Eriksen out could see them target either Lo Celso or Donny Van De Beek.

Both Ryan Sessegnon & Jack Grealish have been linked to the Spurs, although I would prefer that the latter player stays with the Villans - given their recent promotion & for the sake of @Socks_and_Sandals :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Personally, I think the Spurs have a bright future. New digs, recent high level campaign finishes. Need to add squad depth, though, or they could start faltering.

Agree wholeheartedly - need topping up. I have always been concerned about their defence so perhaps that can be beefed up. Levy needs to open the wallet which should be farking healthy.

Would Bale for Eriksen be a fair swap…contract statuses notwithstanding.

There was talk that Bale was coming back to England, and would surely prefer Spurs to Man U.

There was a rumour circulating last month that RM were prepared to offer him up to Spurs on a loan.

I think I read somewhere that he has a 500m Euro release clause in his contract.

Spurs wouldn’t be able to afford his contract. Not with levy on the purse strings

Agree.