English Premier League 2018/19

Solid win that. No Martial, no Lingard, … no worries.

Through to the 1/4’s. :+1:

Surely Sarri won’t last much longer?

So who replaces him? Mourinho is available…

1/4 final Draw…

Swansea V Man C

Watford V CP

Wolves V Man U

Mill V Brighton

1 Like

Wolves on the road will be tough

Can’t wait for this game. Awesome!!

Other than Reading, we’ll have had all PL sides, all away to make it to the Semis,

Echoes of '99, when we also won 2-0 at the Bridge, and Ole Gunnar was the saviour then too.

City OTOH, have basically had a fkn cakewalk. :roll_eyes:

Was hoping for Wolves to make the final, now I don’t.

Hopefully he stays until we play them again in the PL. Can’t believe Chelsea players, simply just give up when they don’t like a manager. The way they acted the year after Conte won them the title shouldn’t have been tolerated, the owner should have sold half of the team instead.

3 Likes

My memory of the 99 game against Chelsea was that Ole was quite ineffectual or was that another year?
Yorke was the saviour in that one I think.
We really shouldn’t have won that year, Liverpool had us on toast in the earlier round and Arsenal should have finished us in the semi. Everything just clicked that season

Yep, Schmeichel saved a 92nd minute penalty to get it into extra time

And then Giggs scored that goal and paraded that chest rug.

I meant that YEAR. :smirk:

I am hoping for the best, but think ManU will win. Check out Bristol City working our defence over last round. Imagine Pogba et al - too much quality. I think in attack we worked over your defence earlier this year and I could see us creating some chances, but we will concede 2 or 3 IMO.

The thought of a United vs City final is just a bit exciting.

God no, 4-0.

I have a soft spot for Wolves. A late friend of mine was a wolves fan (his family were from midlands) and another mate of mine is from there and moved to Australia about 5 years ago. So passionate, he loves them.

He also wants Liverpool to win the league because it’s been so long so he can go ■■■■ himself.

But seriously, I hope wolves do well. However he doesn’t want them to make Europe this season (still a bit of work to do anyway), he reckon it could hurt them more than help them. Wants them to be secured in top flight football for a while before contemplating Europe.
Your thoughts Benny?

All depends on the investment and ambition of the club. Everyone seems to be on the same page. Unlike a club such as Everton that have spunked a lot of money away on players who don’t fit and then hire and fire managers at a rapid rate. Pretty sure it’s been 4 full-time (not caretaker) managers in tyhe space of 4 years. Martinez, Koeman, Big Sam (yes it was Relegation Rescue but they signed him to a permanent deal…) and now Marco Silva. To me Wolves seem more organised. The manager seems to be there for the long haul. Possibly the best newly promoted team to come up from the Championship for a long time…

Ye of little faith.

Ole’s at the wheel, and we’re improving every game. I say we’d lift against them in particular and win a famous victory.

From what I read, and this is my view as well, I’d love it if we made it to Europe this year. Our owners have ambition and the business model so far has been commendable, and to me they have invested wisely. Their ambition is to become one of the best teams in England and Europe and are here for the longer term.

We have some talented footballers who are regulars in their national sides, Neves, Moutinho, Patricio, Jota and even Costa recently, are all regulars in Portugal’s squad. We just signed Jonny who is getting games for Spain, our striker Jimenez plays for Mexico. Doherty for Ireland and even Coady is being talked of for England due to their formation being 3-5-2 like ours.

Europe will help us retain this talent and attract others. Plus, the excitement of Europe, wow! The club would be buzzing! They are talking of upgrading the stadium starting 2020 to hold up to 50,000 as the club being successful really impacts the city.

I don’t see us like Burnley who scrapped in, didn’t get past qualifying and have struggled this year. We are coached by Nuno, who is visionary compared to Mick McCarthy who only ever aimed to stay up. Having the links with Mendes helps as well. I think Europe would be fantastic, and am hoping we make it.

1 Like

Wolves has been magnificent for two seasons now. They’ve evolved too, never too reliant on any one player with two playmakers in Neves and Moutinho, a playmaker higher up in Jimenez (so many assists), and wingbacks approaching the quality of Robertson and Alexander Arnold (ok, not quite but still good). Jota is an alternative route to goal, playing deep, higher or wider as needed… if they lose one week, they change it up the next, finding different avenues to score.

They’re defence is still a bit suspect and will likely be the reason for dropping out of European contention but still, this year has already been a success.

1 Like