English Premier League 2018/19

They both should have been red.

Well the keeper is running at him - got to make the keeper earn it. :wink:
These ones are a bit iffy for me because the player has to go for the ball.
We had a similar one with man city a couple of years ago where the keeper charged at Mane who had his foot high going for the ball. Was given a red and we were subsequently spanked 5-0.
My point is if the keeper charges at you and you’ve got a raised foot - keeper has to have some responsibility too in this situation. Accept that most people won’t agree but the keeper is pretty much a protected species. Only have to breathe in his direction for him to get a free.

But the argument there goes both ways, the player Torreira contacted is also responsible for the contact. They both “had” to go for the ball, they both have responsibility to protect themselves and the opponent.

1 Like

Of course but I don’t think in Torreiras case, the opposition player contributed to the contact as the keeper does when he charges at the ball. Greater onus if responsibility for me in the field of play by the tackler.
Anyway, although I’m sure its not much consolation, Arsenal definitely deserved to win imo. Doesn’t work that way in this game unfortunately.

2 Likes

Yep, you take the good with the bad in this game.

Bad calls aside Mustafi should never play again and the strikers should have taken their chances.

They have saved us many times this year though so they get a pass.

1 Like

Found an interesting article on Skysports where they’ve ranked the English clubs based on league position over the last 50 years:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10881263/ultimate-league-reveals-liverpool-are-englands-top-team-followed-by-man-utd-and-arsenal

West Ham 10th, exactly where we’ve been for most of this season. Cant escape it.

3 Likes

YNWA!

Those stats must have been done by a Liverpool or Arsenal supporter, the only ones that matter are that in the last 50 seasons the Champions have been:
United 13
Liverpool 11
Arsenal 6

Happy for Arsenal to claim to be the second best side though :rofl:

I would love to see Leeds back in the top flight.

Hope they don’t ■■■■ the bed.

1 Like

Thought most Man Utd supporters believed football started in 1992…

4 Likes

even though it was closer to 60 years ago, would’ve been interesting to see what the united team would’ve been capable of if it wasn’t for the munich air disaster.

1 Like

Got to love the Arsenal sooking in this thread.
Been sitting here reading the tripe with a violinist playing in the background.

1-1 ain’t changing in the score books so man up and deal with it.

Cry me a ■■■■■■■ river.

4 Likes

Many do. I suppose I’ve been “lucky” enough to remember us being utter tripe and seeing us finally break the drought and the joy it gave to long suffering supporters. I can still remember my pop sobbing uncontrollably when we secured the title in 93 as he was quite ill at the time and didn’t think he would see another United title.

1 Like

M8, United FA Cup winning sides and off field drinking sessions in the 80s were the peak of this club

The manner in which it was won did not help with the emotion either. A number of critical matches at the end of season snatching victory (and keeping the title dream alive) from the jaws of defeat. Given what happened the previous season, my anxiety levels and emotions were sky high.

1 Like

Can I ask how you followed epl coverage back in the early 90’s when they won it? Was it just the paper on the Monday with the scores, teletex etc?

The only league football I can recall on TV back then (I was very young) was Serie A highlights on Sunday morning, possible Saturdays in the late afternoon aswell.

I don’t know ther exact year but can remember TV coverage in the late 80’s early 90’s as I can remember watching the English first division on TV.
Every Saturday I’d stay up and listen to the BBC coverage on radio and they would go through all the scores during the coverage of the MOTD. I was also subscribed to British Soccer weekly for many years even though it was a week late I religiously read every match report. I also lived in the UK and Europe for a few stints in the early 90’s where coverage was pretty darn good

1 Like

Don’t think Arsenal have been down to Div 1,
man U have

Arsenal have been 4th-8th a lot.

Monday night magazine show with Les introducing a package by Martin Tyler = BEST

7 Likes

There was a weekly highlights show on ABC in the 90s as well. Possibly late 80s.