Enormous Collingwood Superstar calls it a Day

I swear it was Joey D's failed attempt at a mark that caused the injury....unless I'm wrong...

Joe gets no respect ‘round here.

I still don‘t feel bad for bagging the spud all night (i will concede he wasn‘t a Richie Vandenburg).

Played as 3rd man up most of his career and did it well, but then again so did Jason Cloke.

Permiership captain and well done to him for that, but that's it.

Find it ironic that the one time he actually had to man up 1 on 1 with someone was his final game before retirement and the bloke he played on was a defender who returned Wayne Carey-like stats.

I honestly think in my time of following footy, I couldn't name another player as useless as him that consistently got picked.

Jason cloke looked ok as 3rd man up/ loose defender until they snared travis and turfed him once they found out he would be exposed 1-1.

For Maxwell to play as many games as he has and be captain of Collingwood football club. Is a testament to his professionalism and getting the most out of his limited ability. I remember seeing an episode of the club where he was up all night icing his leg every 3 hours just to help recovery for the next match.

I swear it was Joey D's failed attempt at a mark that caused the injury....unless I'm wrong...

Joe gets no respect ‘round here.

I still don‘t feel bad for bagging the spud all night (i will concede he wasn‘t a Richie Vandenburg).

Maxwell played behind, bumped Joe, and they went down together.

think a number of people are letting their dislike of all things Collingwood cloud their judgement.

Nick Maxwell was certainly no superstar, in fact he was somewhat a limited player, but he knew his limitations and played within them. He found a role he could excel at and did it well. He was also a very good AFL captain.

think a number of people are letting their dislike of all things Collingwood cloud their judgement.

Nick Maxwell was certainly no superstar, in fact he was somewhat a limited player, but he knew his limitations and played within them. He found a role he could excel at and did it well. He was also a very good AFL captain.

best afl captain to ever point and yell at people

Sorry,  with a few exceptions I pretty much ignore players from other teams.  Some I admire greatly,  and sometimes as much for their foibles and overcoming them or just living with them and being a good person in spite of it.   For example,  Mathew Richardson,  who,  but for the blight of poor accuracy would  IMO been the greatest CHF in the game.

Dont know much about Nick Maxwell,  as long as he has the respect of his team mates its OK.  Good idea not to play on too long,  or you do lose that respect,  for not having the sense to quit at the right time.

because no other AFL footballer, let alone AFL captain has done that before.

I mean for ■■■■ sake it would happen about 20 times a game but unless the commentators decide to highlight it, nothing comes of it.

Brendon Goddard does it fairly regularly and Jobe Watson gave Heppell a pretty obvious spray in a game earlier this year.

I don't think so.

His limitations were that he was very very average at best. Yeah he was a good leader, but so was probably Richie Van Den Berg, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was a crap footballer who was over-rated even as a footballer. When he had to play 1 on 1 he was badly exposed.

Average player, good captain, useful third man in defence when they were up and running. Good luck mate.

+1

I mean for fark sake it would happen about 20 times a game but unless the commentators decide to highlight it, nothing comes of it.

Brendon Goddard does it fairly regularly and Jobe Watson gave Heppell a pretty obvious spray in a game earlier this year.

Yeh but none of them did it as well as Maxwell.

I mean for fark sake it would happen about 20 times a game but unless the commentators decide to highlight it, nothing comes of it.

yep. shows how good he was at it.

208 games...1 on an opponent

Who?

I know he doesn't get any respect on these boards, and I'll probably get flamed for this, but I'm sure one one on this site pointed this out to me. He's probably the best player to play AFL that also looks like a goat.
Name another?

Simon Atkins
Good call!
Looks more like Gene Snitsky than a goat.

Well, that's not his fault...

Who?

Carlisle, round 17 2014

2797576-3x4-340x453.jpg

Maxwell pointing at someone, yesterday.

2797576-3x4-340x453.jpg

Maxwell pointing at someone, yesterday.

"Browny, you take Buddy and Roughy. I'll play on Rahn Hooper"

A bit harsh, but a funny video from a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipZWCrEoil8

I want more Danny Del-Re.