EPL 2017/18 Thread

Well Citeh were reportedly very keen on him till they bought Laporte or whatever his name is.

Serious question @Killer_Mike who would you replace Wenger with in the real world? In the un real world I would look at Pep or Klopp but not all that many others. Allegri would turn the place upside down which may not be a bad thing but would many of our players (Ozil should he stay, Mhkitaryan, Lacazette etc) that we have suit his style? If not that would require sales and a fair bit of trauma for fans, and the club in general.

For me it’s not a question of who and its certainly not a question of changing the identity of the club.

The way Arsenal is now stinks of post 2000 Essendon and the way we molded the Bombers into Sheedy’s vision.

I think the ‘Arsenal (Wenger) way’ will never deliver titles and if we have to burn the Emirates to the ground to rebuild it then I prefer that than the way we are going about it now.

It’s the ownership of our club that is holding us back and Wenger supports them. For that he must go.

1 Like

OK. I am reading reports of Auba signing and supposedly confirmed by Wenger. Add to that apparently Ozil is going to stay in no small part because of the signing of Auba.

I am a Wenger in bloke. I get some people wanting him out and I think the post 2000 Essendon comparison is significant so when Wenger goes we better not bring in a metaphorical Matthew Knights (Eddie Howe perhaps?). I don’t want to go down the club legend path of Hird/Tony Adams however if it were to be Patrick Viera I would be way more open to that. It took Essendon about 9 years to go from Sheedy to Worsfold I don’t want anything like that at Arsenal.

I think we can all wish for something to change but the problem I have is the replacement is likely to be inferior to Wenger but the people will be happy because it is change. Even if it does not improve the club.

You could look at the kopites who have not won the Premier League as opposed to First Division, and have been pretty irrelevant as a force for most of that time, yeah they did win the UCL (I am jelaous of that) , but since 1990 or so in the league they have been about as successful as Spurs or Everton and that is not very…:wink:

Even now after a similar number of games in charge Rogers had more league wins than Klopp, but Rogers had them within a slip or two of winning the league. Maybe they are in better shape overall now under Klopp, but I don’t know. Maybe @smooth can shed some light on this?

There is plenty to work with for whoever takes over at Arsenal next season or the season after.

1 Like

I get what you are saying but unless we change Ownership of the club and the manager we wont win anything.

For me I would prefer relegation so it shocks the club into doing something rather than go down this path.

It has taken the whole ASADA thing to prompt Essendon into action.

We can deny it all we like but soccer is all about money and how much you can spend. If we cant get financially competitive then we will remain mediocre.

2 Likes

We just sold a young midfielder for 25 mil. That says a lot about where we are as a club.

I have no answer for removing Kronke. Is our Russian guy who’s name escapes me any better? He says a few things but if he were the owner would he be any different?

He says he wants to spend.

It’s the african guy that wants to make Arsenal the biggest club in the world.

Kronke wont sell.

1 Like

Who? Theo? Le Coq?

The African guy in charge scares me to be honest.

On your Rodgers vs Klopp comparison we are miles ahead now IMO.

The team Rodgers had was based SuĂĄrez a genuine world class superstar, a fading superstar in Gerrard, a player who had easily his best season in Sturridge and a couple of guns on the rise in Sterling and Coutinho. Our defence was absolutely rubbish with Brad Jones as our back up keeper, Agger (always injured), K Toure rotating with Skrtel at CB and Jon Flanagan and Glen Johnson (playing on the left) as our full backs.

At the moment our defence is slightly better with a much more rounded attacking half. Also despite losing Coutinho we still have other players to fill the void - something Sterling and Sturridge couldn’t dononce Suárez left. Therefore I’m a lot more bullish. Our spending seems to be a lot more strategic whereas under Rodgers it was just for the sake of doing so at times (think Mario). Rodgers couldn’t get us out of the CL group stage and we are a lot closer to backing up a top 4 finish this year.

1 Like

Brendan got closer than any Liverpool manager to winning the League, so that can’t be forgotten. However what happened post 2013/14 is what cost him his job and Klopp’s rebuilding of the squad since has been impressive. BR bought badly with the ££ from the sales of Suarez and Sterling. He basically replaced Suarez with Ricky Lambert and Mario Balotelli. Benteke was also a shocking buy given he was completely unsuitable to our style of play. I don’t agree with some of the things Klopp has done, such as allowing Phil to leave this month and the goalie situation we currently have is not ideal, however aside from that we play a great attacking style, multiple goal scoring threats and his purchases have been more hit than miss. But, he needs to win things. This will be a second full season of him in charge and no trophies to speak of. That has to change…

1 Like

If WBA get relegated, Pards should be available.

2 Likes

This ones for the noonans of the world.

Auba finally official.

With Liverpool and Man City paint in excess of $60mil for defenders getting One of the top 5 strikers in the world for under $60 mil is excellent business.

Please Wenger buy a defensive mid or some CB’s now.

1 Like

“We got im!”

Great signing only a year ago he was one of the most sought after strikers in the world, sure his temprament may be in question but I think he was unhappy and engineered his move. Not that that is a good thing.

Welcome to Arsenal! May we see more of the same of what you were doing at Borussia Dortmund in a Gunners shirt!

1 Like

I would say he’s our biggest buy in a decade.

Have to give Wenger credit for this one.

Ozil with a new 3 year deal also.

After all your “Wenger out” rants you casually toss in “Change the owner”!!!

You’re very probably right about the owner being the problem, but would you mind explaining exactly how the club is going to change its ownership if the owner doesn’t want to sell???

And would you also mind explaining exactly how replacing Wenger is going to help one little bit if the owner doesn’t change???

And while you’re at it, please also say exactly who you propose should replace Wenger???

You threw in a Sheedy comparison earlier. I’ll throw in one now. You’re exactly like all those supporters who were screaming “Sheedy out!” in the mid-2000s without a thought for who might replace him or what upheavals might be caused by his removal after 27 years in charge. You now know what did happen at Essendon. Do you really think it would be much different at Arsenal? With the same tight-■■■■ owner controlling the money?

1 Like

Auba is a goal scoring machine but refuses to defend and has fought with all his previous managers. I have a feeling the EPL might not be his cup of tea and he could struggle.
Strange move to sell Giroud with Auba being EL cup tied as that was Arsenals only route into the CL next season