Ess vs. GC Suns match review

I think the frustrating bit is not the margin, or even the effort, really.

It’s that the ‘kids’ didn’t get slaughtered today, they were fine, it was the mid aged plodders and old top ups that mostly hurt us today.

I know there is a balance, and it’s a long season, and I know on paper this team looked much ‘safer.’ but I hope a substantial amount of time is spent this year ‘playing the kids’ rather than having Cooney, Bird, Gwilt, Simpkin and Dea as best 22.

I hope the team next week looks quite different, because we can do better than that.

Probably the worst collective tackling effort ever dished up. Rarely were GC impeded or pinned.

We seemed to lose so many contested ball one on ones. They had numbers everywhere.

Fk Simpkin off.
Fk Cooney off.

I hope Woosha punches the ■■■■■ out of Cooney

I think people are being a bit hard on the top ups, Stokes and Kelly were good, Crowley did his job, Simpkin was ok, Dea was probably the bottom.

It was the listed old blokes that sucked.

Out Gwilt, Cooney, Bird and Simpkin In Hartley, Lav, Edwards and Kommer

Grimley in

Zaha, Zerrett, Parish, Stokes were very good.
Bad selection not to play another tall defender.
4 or 5 regular listed players have begun 2016 like they played in 2015. Nowhere near good enough.

I notice the umpires have gone back to the system they used so well in the 2003-2008 period. Massive amounts of free kicks against Essendon (4:1 or 5:1) in the first quarter and a half and evening up late in the game.

Ease up on the top ups. FFS they are coming in with very little preparation and were questionable at AFL standard anyway.

The kids did well. We played arguably the quickest team in the comp and were interstate.

Ambrose and Cooney were the disappointments for me. But being round 1, take a deep breath and hope for better. If it is the same after 4-5 weeks then get more kids in to replace them.

Simpkin and bird annoyed me seemed slow decisions with ball and turnovers.
Plus cooney was frustrating.

Not sure if anyone in reserves to come in though. Given laverde & grima needs another run.

Id be inclined to bring hartley in for gwilt or ambrose as we were just not quite tall enough.

Changes
In: Long, Hams Hartley
Out: simpkin bird Gwilt
Cooney gets a reprieve cause not sure who else can come in

How good is parish quick decisions speedy delivery and makes the right choice. Tackles well and has speed. Reminds me of ablett jnr…

Lost by 61 pts. Langford showed enough to suggest he will be ok. Leads well, reads the play, but fumbled badly. So don’t know how good he will be: good ordinary player, or far better? Stokes is the small forward they’ve needed for years, but poor disposal at times. Still, 3 goals a good return. Great debut by Parish. Over 20 disposals. Knows the game. Tippa useful. Should get more games.
They might get better as they jell and work out their system and method. Key defender may be a problem. Hope Leunberger can stay fir. ZMerrett and Zaka terrific.

Simpkin and bird annoyed me seemed slow decisions with ball and turnovers. Plus cooney was frustrating.

Not sure if anyone in reserves to come in though. Given laverde & grima needs another run.

Id be inclined to bring hartley in for gwilt or ambrose as we were just not quite tall enough.

Changes
In: Long, Hams Hartley
Out: simpkin bird Gwilt
Cooney gets a reprieve cause not sure who else can come in

How good is parish quick decisions speedy delivery and makes the right choice. Tackles well and has speed. Reminds me of ablett jnr…

we only have one rookie spot I think

That was pathetic. The score was bad. But the effort in the 1st half when the game was up for grabs was non exsistant.

Can the higher ups at essendon please send Cooney to the land of Oz, so he can visit the wizard and get a heart. Because he is a disgrace.

Simpkin was just… I don’t know how to describe his game. Awful does not do justice to the garbage that he served up today.

Just too many mistakes. From everyone, not just the newbies. Handballs missing the target, dropped marks, fumbles, you name it; plus not enough running and nowhere near enough pressure. The problems aren’t unrelated: success breeds success, and failure breeds failure. If the players start holding their marks and hitting targets, they’ll start running harder and getting more numbers at the ball. But today we looked like amateurs playing against professionals.

It was good to see Zaharakis continuing his good pre-season form; he seems to be back to his Crichton-winning form. Zac Merrett did some good things, and so did Darcy Parish, although Parish needs to stop making mistakes with his kicks. Of the top-ups, Stokes looked okay (apart from that miss) and Kelly looked to be of true AFL standard. Leuenberger was okay but not dominant.

It’s going to be a long season.

Would suggest you just lie on your back, stare at the ceiling and think about England. There is worse coming.

Probably the worst collective tackling effort ever dished up. Rarely were GC impeded or pinned.

Their tackling was appalling. They always allowed the GC players to get a handball away. Surely they are not coached to tackle around the waist rather than pinning the arms.

Mr Heff is watching his beloved Pies. They are getting thrashed. Cheer up blitzers.

The use of the top ups is going to be interesting this year.

Happy to keep Stokes and Kelly in because they have been genuine high level performers and can fill a leadership role with Jobe, Stants and co out of the team. But the others should really just be VFL players and come into the team when injuries inevitably hit.

And clearly the team is far too slow for AFL. Jackets has worked hard over the last few years to draft players with running ability and this just seems like the perfect opportunity to give them an extended run in the seniors and hopefully learn from their mistakes. Edwards, Leverde, Fantasia, Ashby - not sure any are world beaters but if 2 of them can be senior players by the end of the year that’s good enough for me.

And Parish. I thought it was questionable to draft a midget with so so athletic traits but wow, that kid is always at the ball. Terrific hands, nice skills, a bit of mongrel.

Thought we were in for a 100 pointer early on but we regrouped well in the 2nd half. Plenty of positives with Parish showing why we went after him, Zack and Zacka superb and I reckon Stokes and Kelly were good. Lewie will be good for us this year and we moved the ball better as the game went on. The Langford fumbled way too much but he’ll sort that out and will be one of our best once he gets going. Smack had a shocker and will bounce back, as will JD.

It takes time for a team to gel, so we need to hang in. We desperately need a tall backman who reads the long ball - Francis will be that man, but needs time.

Watched the game at the Elsty with SheedsIsOurFather, ComeBackHirdy and ComeBackHirdy’s dad who were all great company and kept the vibe positive. We’re in for a tough year but then again 17 other clubs won’t win the flag this year either, so suck it up and keep supporting the boys.

Agree that Ambrose’s game was far from flawless but I think we need to take into account he was used in the wrong position/role. I like him in defence and think it is his best chance of staying on the list next year, but he is not a key defender who should be taking 199cm key forwards. More reason to have played Hartley.