Ess vs. Magpies - Anzac day debrief

I have to ask - does anyone think the 4 goal loss wasn't realistic?
I mean, on evidence Pies probably are a 4-5 goal better side than use

Speak English, moron.

It really Just wasn’t our day.

poor ol JC had a shocker. Did try I thought and should have been given a couple of frees.

Maybe Hirdy isn’t such a bad coach after all :slight_smile:

Where's WOB, was going to point out the people who said we wouldn't win if we did ?

What's the excuse going to be this week, was it a little to warm again for us ? still sick from the stomach bug ?

The same issues over and over again, for how many years ?

dumb footballers making stupid mistakes, little to no defensive pressure and still a dysfunctional forwardline (is it still Egans fault ?)

Hooker gives you a contest and can beat his man, but he is just such a liability when he has the ball.

Dempseys inclusion reeked of desperation and it showed, he was no where near ready to be playing afl footy.

Bar the youngsters, both merretts, gleeson ashby and Daniher to a degree, you can forgive them for mistakes they might make, cos they are still learning.

But the rest, it's just beyond a joke now that the same mistakes from the same players continue to happen.

It's just so frustrating watching it.

Would say jack merrett will be out next week

Big one for me is 56 inside 50’s for 60 points. In comparison 45 for 83 from them. Also 3 multiple goal kickers for them none for us. Forward line needs some new personnel Bellchambers, Ambrose and Goddard needed badly

Which moron was matched up on Swan around the stoppages in the forward line?

I could tell you who, but around here i'll just get paid out for being a "hater".

Daniher will be a star, but this is the big time son, playing for frees and going to ground all the time will get you no where.

Had monstered opponents in U18 and all junior footy, he’s finding out what the real stuff is all about now, and needs to be a bit stronger

Where's WOB, was going to point out the people who said we wouldn't win if we did ?
What's the excuse going to be this week, was it a little to warm again for us ? still sick from the stomach bug ?
The same issues over and over again, for how many years ?
dumb footballers making stupid mistakes, little to no defensive pressure and still a dysfunctional forwardline (is it still Egans fault ?)
Hooker gives you a contest and can beat his man, but he is just such a liability when he has the ball.
Dempseys inclusion reeked of desperation and it showed, he was no where near ready to be playing afl footy.
Bar the youngsters, both merretts, gleeson ashby and Daniher to a degree, you can forgive them for mistakes they might make, cos they are still learning.
But the rest, it's just beyond a joke now that the same mistakes from the same players continue to happen.
It's just so frustrating watching it.

Reckon your over reacting

Well, that was a massive pile of balls wasn’t it? Man that sucked.

wtf happened in the second qtr, was like the pies had extras on the ground.

Straight away I thought he’d done a collarbone which would be 4+

Didn’t look as bad as he ran off but definitely still doubtful

edit should learn to quote in these threads - talking about merrett

seem to have just about all the ingredients now, but it appears that too many of our players are sharing the same brain at the moment.   If we can stay switched on and a bit more composed when the opposition decide to show up, that would be rather pleasant...  

I have to ask - does anyone think the 4 goal loss wasn't realistic?
I mean, on evidence Pies probably are a 4-5 goal better side than use

Speak English, moron.

Not necessary.

Hooker is a gun.

Stanton was epic when it counted

Hepplewhite busted his ■■■■ all day

If Pendlebury tackles you it’s holding the ball, if you tackle him it’s a ball up.

If you have Razor Ray in your forward 50 good luck.

Gleeson has amazing side step

Chapman ordinary today

We lost today's game inside the defensive 50. We were great in 1 vs 1 or when the ball was in the air but as soon as the ball hit the ground we were in all sorts of trouble. The backline is masterful in the air but not as good at ground level. Pressure was huge but our defence is very well experienced. Perhaps the combination in there isn't quite right.

We were also short with hard inside mids today. Missing Myers I think today hurt more than anything else.

This loss hurt a lot and it was a bit discouraging that we are relying on 1st, 2nd, 3rd year players to really push us home. Our players ranked 3 - 15 is where I feel our team is badly out of form.

I think our zone for our forward 50 when C were kicking out didn't work well either. They took a lot of marks just outside 50 from the kick out. 

Plenty of room to improve.

Wonder if we took swan, pendlebury and beams out of their side and had goddard, myers and hocking in ours, if the result would have been different? Injuries kill us year after year, had a gutfull

Disappointed to see so many shirking contests, slipping off tackles. These guys are not working hard enough. Not nearly hard enough at all.

Two of our best players are nearly concussed in a 60 second span. It would have been nice to see somebody stick up for them.... instead they went right back to watching and waiting for other players to make things happen, instead of doing it themselves.

I'm not sure I've felt worse about our future prospects in a long time..... after all we've been through in the last 14 months, this is what we get? 2 wins from 6?

I don't know where these players' heads are at, but they aren't where they should be.

Stanton was awesome. Fark I love him.

Can't get tbell back spoon enough

freudian much?!

positive thoughts:

gleeson - barely wastes a touch, could've kicked 2 (at least one) today, reads the play well, rarely wastes a touch. knew when to run forward of Watson off that centre clearance to get the handball, run inside 50, then just miss...

Merret Bros - development of both accelerated today. contributed in the last and threatened to turn the game. Zerrett had the ball 3 times in 2 passages during the second and used the ball by foot beautifully, under pressure each time. 1 of these possies set up Ryders goal. both good tanks, both good heads.

Ashby - went when it was his turn, got crunched regularly, got up every time. liked his game.

Daniher -  presented well. still looks too light for his opponents. gonna kill it when he gets heavy enough not to get pushed off, cos his judgement is great.