Essendon 2000 vs 2014

I've been watching the 2000 Finals Series again - and last night whilst at work, I wondered how this current team would go about trying to stop the 2000 team. That team had matchwinners everywhere, and perhaps the most star-studded forward line I can recall. 

I've taken the team from the 2000 Grand Final and put it up against a "Best 22" from this year. Of course my problem will be that Fletcher is in both sides. So I benched him for the 2014 side. Besides, 2000 Essendon went small in the forward line. And I couldn't decide whether a 2000 version would have Moorcroft or Bewick as sub. 

b: Baguley, Hooker, Winderlich
f: Ramanauskas, Lloyd, Long

Bags goes to Rama. Hooker gets Lloyd - leaving Licka to deal with Longy. Some pretty good match ups there - though Rama and Long would eventually get up the ground.

hb Dempsey, Hurley, Hibberd

hf  Mercuri, Lucas, Hird

The obvious issue here is Hird. Pig has to go to him. Hird will take him to the ball which is good for him. He'd have to concede he will probably give up a few goals, but definitely could set up a few going the other way. Hurley would be good on Lucas, and I reckon Dempsey would have his hands full with Mercs. 

c:  Myers, Watson, Stanton

c   Heffernan, Misiti, Caracella

Watson v Misiti. Yes please. I cannot split them. Misiti just keeps getting the footy, and was so creative. Obviously Hocking goes to him to limit his numbers. I'm not sure who would tag Jobe - perhaps Jason Johnson goes to him? Heffernan and Caracella on the wings would hurt us on the outside, and I'm not sure Myers would play as a traditional winger - more an extra clearance mid. If we need to go like for like, the Merretts can be brought on.

hf: Zaharakis, Daniher, Goddard

hb Hardwick, Wallis, Solomon

Wallis v Daniher. Sorry Joedan. Zaka would need to get up the ground to keep Hardwick away from the packs and being third man up. Must keep Hardwick accountable. Solly will battle hard against Goddard, but I would still imagine BJ would snag a few if left forward. 

f   Chapman, Carlisle, Ambrose

b  M Johnson, Fletcher, Wellman

Chappy v Mark Johnson. Love it. Wellman to Ambrose, and Fletch gets big Buckets. Buckets recent form would even have 2000 Fletch in trouble, despite his B+F year. I suppose that Wellman and Wallis might change pretty quickly too if JoeDan was too tall for Wally. 

foll Ryder, Heppell, Hocking

foll Barnes, Blumfield, J Johnson

Quality followers here. The ruck battle is a beauty. Both agile ruckmen who can push forward and kick goals, and run with the football. I'm not sure I can split them. And Heppell and Hocking match up well against Blumfield and Johnson. 

int: Fletcher, Z Merrett, J Merrett

int Alessio, Barnard, Bewick

If Alessio comes on and goes forward, Fletch goes with. Switch Hooker to Alessio, and Fletch goes to Lloyd. The Merretts give us some good pace when they get on too. 10. Darren Bewick does the same for them, and Barnard gives them some real flexibility within the team. 

sub Colyer

sub Moorcroft

Moorcroft would be the prototype for a sub player. But Colyer is pretty good too. Call it even. 

Result: Well, I'd be crazy to suggest that 2014 Essendon would beat 2000 Essendon, but I can't see this side being blown out the water like Melbourne were on Grand Final day. I'd hazard a guess that 2000 Essendon would be a couple of scoring shots a quarter better than 2014 Essendon.

2000 Essendon by 30 - 40 points. 

Dean Rioli. 

fletch should be in both teams.

Not a bad write up at all.

Dean Rioli. 

Think he took the 2000 side from the GF.

Decent but that HF line would destroy our current HB line.

14 years on the game is so much faster and harder to play. the 2014 side would win. even if the players aren't as talented the match fitness and style of footy played in 2014 would prevail. assuming we would play todays rules.

14 years on the game is so much faster and harder to play. the 2014 side would win. even if the players aren't as talented the match fitness and style of footy played in 2014 would prevail. assuming we would play todays rules.

That's the big equalizer in my book. 2000 on talent would win by 10 goals. But when the fitness of football in 2014 comes in it even's it right up.

Essendon 2000 would destroy Essendon 2014 by about 12 goals

yep, maybe age makes the heart grow fonder but I seriously doubt Carlisle and Daniher would get a kick against Wallis, Fletch and Wellman.

Although Fletch is in both teams so that would be interesting to watch.

2014 would have the victory in the ruck contests but I think the mids of 2000 would read it better anyway.

That 2000 backline is intimidating. Hardwick would be too much of a handful for Zaka to deal with and a scuffle will break out between BJ, Chappy, Solomon, Wallis and Johnson.

Great topic!

IMO, I think Essendon in 2000 would slaughter us now. 10 goal plus win.

Some of those match ups would not even come close to being a contest.

The following are those I think the 2000 side would dominate:

Long over Winderlich... easy.

Mercuri over Dempsey

Lucas over Hurley

Hird over Hibbo

Caracella over Stants (class over effort)

Fletcher over Carlisle (Fletch's always arrives at the contest and meets the ball at the right moment... this is where sides are not competing with Jake at the moment)

Wellman over Ambrose

JJ over Hocking.. by a mile. (did you ever see JJ play - an attacking animal?)

Barnard and Bewick would easily outperform the Merretts. These guys delivered every time.

Looking the other way round I think these would be the wins for the 2014 side:

Ryder over Barnes.. no contest. Barnes played his best footy with Geelong.

Chapman over M Johnson... Chappy would be too clever for mine.

Heppell over Blumfield

Goddard over Solomon

Maybe Zaka over Hardwick purely because of his pace and run

Watson over Misiti, due to his marking ability up forward.

I think Lloydy and Hooker would be a great battle.

Same for Rama and Baggs

I rate Mercuri as one of the best players I've seen, he was a gun and would destroy Dempsey!

That 2000 had so many underrated tough players(ouside of EFC) guys like Wellman, Barnard, Solly and Hardwick never let you get an easy touch.

I love thinking about the 2000 side.  They'd punish 2014.

Great topic!

IMO, I think Essendon in 2000 would slaughter us now. 10 goal plus win.

Some of those match ups would not even come close to being a contest.

The following are those I think the 2000 side would dominate:

Long over Winderlich... easy.

Mercuri over Dempsey

Lucas over Hurley

Hird over Hibbo

Caracella over Stants (class over effort)

Fletcher over Carlisle (Fletch's always arrives at the contest and meets the ball at the right moment... this is where sides are not competing with Jake at the moment)

Wellman over Ambrose

JJ over Hocking.. by a mile. (did you ever see JJ play - an attacking animal?)

Barnard and Bewick would easily outperform the Merretts. These guys delivered every time.

Looking the other way round I think these would be the wins for the 2014 side:

Ryder over Barnes.. no contest. Barnes played his best footy with Geelong.

Chapman over M Johnson... Chappy would be too clever for mine.

Heppell over Blumfield

Goddard over Solomon

Maybe Zaka over Hardwick purely because of his pace and run

Watson over Misiti, due to his marking ability up forward.

I think Lloydy and Hooker would be a great battle.

Same for Rama and Baggs

Oh for sure - JJ was a star, but 2000 Johnson was a good player, not a great player. (1 30+ possession game, and 8 Brownlow Votes) 2001 was when he really started to dominate games. (4 30+ possession games, and 16 Brownlow votes) Either way - he dominates Hocking in this match up. But Hocking would go to Misiti anyway IMO.

And I think you're underestimating Barnes a little. I read in Sheeds' book that he thought Barnes was a very smart ruckman who would have given Simon Madden a run for his money. I still think 2000 Barnes loses to Ryder though - just that it might be more of a contest than you think.

Pretty much agree with everything else...  :)

2000 would still win based on the fact that their era forward line was just more confident and knew where to position themselves and lead consistently.

Caracella was a wizard up forward, just knew where to find space. Then you had Moorcroft, Bewick, Heff. Rama.

A team of players where you would pencil in their reliability, every game. 

However the 2014 side has players in the midfield and defense that can play up the ground, similar to the 2000 side...and are starting to learn how to play hard, contested football with more energy. the Team probably lack that consistency of the 2000 side. Thus far.

2000 team, you knew they'd probably win the game, from 1999-2001, you knew the team would probably win each game. Similar to Hawthorn of this era.

I will go with a draw then!!!!

Joe would kick 10

fletch should be in both teams.

Play him at FF in 2014 and FB in 2000, then watch the entire universe disappear into a vortex as he attempts to play on himself.

I'd shift Fletch forward for this game to try and create a mismatch on Fletch.

I'd also like to see a punch on between Solly and Hibbo. and Chappy and Mark Johnson.

Long would carve us up for pace.

I think the 2000 side would do it pretty easily. Agree with the 10 goals assessment.

If Fletch played on Fletch who would win? Will this create a paradox? Will it break the internet?