Essendon "Bombers"

Just a question for the historians, why are we the 'bombers'. Our club is over 100 years old but the concept of a bomber I'm fairly sure is not.

Were we 'bombers' from day one or was this something that was tacked on later? If it was tacked on when was it and how did we come about to choosing it?

Just a question for the historians, why are we the 'bombers'. Our club is over 100 years old but the concept of a bomber I'm fairly sure is not.

Were we 'bombers' from day one or was this something that was tacked on later? If it was tacked on when was it and how did we come about to choosing it?

We were called the same olds at one point, however not sure if that was our official nickname or just a title given to us.

We should have stuck with out name in the late 1800's I think. Blood stained ■■■■■■■.

We were called the same olds at one point, however not sure if that was our official nickname or just a title given to us.

We should have stuck with out name in the late 1800's I think. Blood stained ■■■■■■■.

has Wilson held us accountable yet

EDIT: and how come she hasn't called for McCracken's head - position surely untenable.

I always thought it was because bomber aircraft were based at the airport at Essendon during the War.

Wasn't it because they envisaged Mark 'Bomba' Thompson coaching the club in 2014?

We were also known as ‘Essendonians’ and by the 1920’s it has simply become 'the ‘Dons’. With Windy Hill being in such close proximity to Essendon Airport, around WW2, the term ‘Bombers’ came to be.

Wasn’t Beverly someone trying to steer us away from using the term Bombers?

I like it because its original, there must be a million teams called tigers, lions, giants, blues, bulldogs etc, I never want to feel like a generic franchise.

Because of the bombs we're about to drop on ASADA and AFL House when this court case final gets under way

Is there any other club in world sport that is older than it's mascot? (ie there were tigers before there was Richmond FC, there were no bombers before there was EFC)

Is there any other club in world sport that is older than it's mascot? (ie there were tigers before there was Richmond FC, there were no bombers before there was EFC)

There still isn‘t such a thing as a Blue, no matter what their game-day personification may want us to believe.

I hate it when people call us the ‘Essendon Bombers’.

We’re the ‘Essendon Football Club’.

Well Red Devils don't really exist, nor do Giants.

What about New York Jets?

There still isn‘t such a thing as a Blue, no matter what their game-day personification may want us to believe.

They are the "navy" - Blooos. 

We are the Air Force. 

The Jets were founded in 1959 and were called the Titans at the time. 

The Jets were founded in 1959 and were called the Titans at the time. 

Very good

Should have picked up "Mayblooms" when it became available.

Setanta-OhAilpin-6475593.jpg

Setantrum & Cameron would disagree...

It probably is now, or just about. Definitely in use by early to mid first world war (say 1915), as that fine journal of record "Biggles" tells me.

In the late VFA days and then the early VFL days, we were known as "The Same Olds." This emanated from our 4 consecutive flags in the vFA from 1891 to 1894. The old saying was, Who won? Answer, the same Old Essendon.

We were also referred to as the blood stained ■■■■■■■ inthe 1920's and 30's but with our move from Jolimont to Windy Hill in  1922 brought a gradual change.

In WW2, Essendon Airport became a very important hub for the RAAF. At this time, in the 1940's the nickname started to morph into the Bombers. It identified our club with its geographical location. (Unlike the Tigers, the Lions, the Blues?)

We have also always been known by the diminutive The Dons.

It is true that Beverly Knight along with Peter Jackson, (then CEO) wanted to get rid of the moniker the Bombers after 9/11 and the connatations that involved. They wanted to use the moniker the Mosquitoes. This was a reference to our premiership years of the 1920's when we won a couple of flags with something like 10 players under 5 feet 6 in the side. They did not prevail.

Go Bombers!!!