Essendon "Bombers"

Fark Peter Jackson. He was the single worst thing that ever happened in the 140+ year history of our proud club.

Fark Peter Jackson. He was the single worst thing that ever happened in the 140+ year history of our proud club.

Sorry AT, even though l know he is one of your pet themes, but PJ doesn't compare to the current worst thing, small change by comparison.

Just a question for the historians, why are we the 'bombers'. Our club is over 100 years old but the concept of a bomber I'm fairly sure is not.

It probably is now, or just about. Definitely in use by early to mid first world war (say 1915), as that fine journal of record "Biggles" tells me.
My collection of Biggles is somewhat vague on the issue, but the first recognizable bomber - as opposed to just throwing darts and grenades over the side- went into action in 1914.
Biggles didn't enter the fray until 1916, getting his wings with the RFC and going to combat squadrons in 1917, initially in an FE2 2-seater. By that stage, even fighter planes like his Sopwith Camel that he was flying in 1918 were technically "bombers", able to carry eight "Cooper" 20lb high explosive bombs.
Yes, I remember far too much of an entirely fictional book series, lol. The WW1 tales are grounded in first hand experience though....
Err, anyway, 2014 is the 100th anniversary of the world's first designed bomber aircraft making a wartime bombing run. I'm not sure it's the sort of event the club will be celebrating , though....

Just a question for the historians, why are we the 'bombers'. Our club is over 100 years old but the concept of a bomber I'm fairly sure is not.

It probably is now, or just about. Definitely in use by early to mid first world war (say 1915), as that fine journal of record "Biggles" tells me.
My collection of Biggles is somewhat vague on the issue, but the first recognizable bomber - as opposed to just throwing darts and grenades over the side- went into action in 1914.
Biggles didn't enter the fray until 1916, getting his wings with the RFC and going to combat squadrons in 1917, initially in an FE2 2-seater. By that stage, even fighter planes like his Sopwith Camel that he was flying in 1918 were technically "bombers", able to carry eight "Cooper" 20lb high explosive bombs.
Yes, I remember far too much of an entirely fictional book series, lol. The WW1 tales are grounded in first hand experience though....
Err, anyway, 2014 is the 100th anniversary of the world's first designed bomber aircraft making a wartime bombing run. I'm not sure it's the sort of event the club will be celebrating , though....

personal fav was biggles flies east. Von stalhein was great in that one. Also the one where ginger makes his debut was a ripper. Black peril?

Lol, I could totally derail this thread, but yeah Ginger appeared in Black Peril. Condor was a ripper, that and West would make great kids / Indiana Jones style films Imo. Flies East was excellent too. Defies the Swastika was fantastic…nah, I should stop. Lol.

In the late VFA days and then the early VFL days, we were known as "The Same Olds." This emanated from our 4 consecutive flags in the vFA from 1891 to 1894. The old saying was, Who won? Answer, the same Old Essendon.

We were also referred to as the blood stained ■■■■■■■ inthe 1920's and 30's but with our move from Jolimont to Windy Hill in  1922 brought a gradual change.

In WW2, Essendon Airport became a very important hub for the RAAF. At this time, in the 1940's the nickname started to morph into the Bombers. It identified our club with its geographical location. (Unlike the Tigers, the Lions, the Blues?)

We have also always been known by the diminutive The Dons.

It is true that Beverly Knight along with Peter Jackson, (then CEO) wanted to get rid of the moniker the Bombers after 9/11 and the connatations that involved. They wanted to use the moniker the Mosquitoes. This was a reference to our premiership years of the 1920's when we won a couple of flags with something like 10 players under 5 feet 6 in the side. They did not prevail.

Go Bombers!!!

Well I didn't think it was possible but my dislike of Peter Jackson just grew further oh and Beverly Knight, inflicting Richie Cole on the club wasn't enough for you either?!

The Fark Carlton Blue Balls is more appropriate for that club.

Sorry, Dank owns that title.

I would argue that if not for Peter Jackson the club might never have gone down the path that lead to Stephen Dank.
Peter Jackson was more interested in announcing decent financial figures each year rather than pouring funds into the football department that would have given the club the best chance to remain competitive.
Because he was so reluctant to fund the football department adequately when Bomber and Hird arrived they were faced with a playing list that was nowhere near the fitness level of the top teams, with terrible facilities and a health, fitness and sport science team that was inadequate as such drastic measures were required and lead to The Weapon and Dank.

... and that is just some of the damage inflicted by PJ.

Biggles Flies Undone

mosquitoes? for real. 

go to bed, peter jackson. you're drunk. 

"Essendon used Mosquitoes to carry out unsanctioned blood tests."

Sorry, Dank owns that title.

Yep. By a long way too.

Biggles Flies Undone

It's a cheap gag, but I have to admit I spat some of my water back into the glass as I was taking a sip when I read this and lol'ed.