Essendon and Hawthorn: The Beginning of a Rivalry

Just as an aside, we do not have a rivalry with Hawthorn. They have one with us though. They need it.

3 Likes

Nothing delicate about Des. He was an absolute thug.

Des Dickson was a thug

But i’ll one-up you and give you Kevin Coverdale. Or Norm Bussell.

1 Like

At least Coverdale could play a bit. Another one they had in that category (talented but dangerous) was John Peck.

1 Like

l have always maintained that Lethal, Brerton and Dipper were such good players that they didn’t need to be thugs. They must have just enjoyed the thuggery, especially Derm.

1 Like

Full video: https://youtu.be/hPvyJePIymA

2 Likes

Who was #13?

Really want us to put a marker down on these ■■■■■■ and show them we are not a team to be messed with. You can’t go the full-on knuckle these days but I just want us to be hard, uncompromising and if we have a chance to hurt their players in a tackle/bump to do so. Like we did to North Melbourne in 1999 when they’d pretty much bullied us around the previous 2-3 years. Bullies don’t like it when you stand up to them. We got them early in '99 (the game when Hirdy did his navicular stress fracture and didn’t play again that year) but the 2nd encounter (Carey 10 v Lloyd 7) was a cracker of a game, very physical and probably the match when we turned the corner and were taken seriously as a team. Time for that to happen again 20 years on…

3 Likes

Cough, splutter … sorry wut?? :no_mouth:

Daisy! … Daisy Williams!!

1 Like

Well, to be fair, I was not even born yet, haha.

1 Like

That’s OK
Just file it away as one of the reasons I see similarities between Daisy and Darcy “Darcy Parish “ Parish.
Take no crap.

3 Likes

My Mum’s favourite player. Her and Dad went out for dinner in Kilsyth about 10-15 years ago and spotted him. Anyway she asked if he was Daisy Williams to which he said yes and they ended up joining him for a drink afterwards. Absolute gentleman!

5 Likes

But have you still not watched the 84 - 85 GF’s??

Time to bone up on your EFC history young’n, … at least back to Sheedys era for a start. :wink:

Best part of that clip was watching him dump that 1 and a half times his size fkstick Demie like a sack of shitt.

Never took a backwards step Daisy, the perfect exemplar of the expression, …“it’s not the size of the dog in the fight, …”

3 Likes

He was a guest at a mate of mine’s wedding in the early 90’s.

My mate asked if I’d seen him. I said it looked like him but since he wasn’t on a stretcher, I wasn’t sure.

Never seen a bloke get king hit by so many thugs!

2 Likes

I do need to make time and catch up on all the history of our great club, haha.

1 Like
8 Likes

I played footy for Bayswater & then Kilsyth. Trivia for you. Can you (or anyone else - without googling) name the Essendon premiership player recruited from Kilsyth?

I enjoyed that

1 Like