Essendon Crowds

Back in the day… We were loud as all fark.

90’s bombers fans made some noise.

7 Likes

round 1 last year against adelaide at Etihad, when we ran over the top of them in the last, the noise was immense. may have been that I was fairly drunk from the grand prix beforehand but that always stands out in my mind.

Loudest I remember was Zaka Anzac Day followed by Hird’s first win as couch in round 1 v dogs

Richmond has always been loud.

I reckon Collingwood has only become loud since they arranged their home games seating to completely fill the old Ponsford stand goals. Its such a critical mass that produces a lot of noise.

Our members seating arrangement seem to be more spread out at the MCG and there definately isnt such a dense bay around the cheersquad as Collingwood have.

Agree with Richmond and the crowds just up and about and confident / excited about the team.

I asked an old bloke at the game Sunday who he would prefer tigers to play first week of the finals… he said “doesn’t matter mate, we’ll beat any team, anywhere!” We’ve got to get that attitude back.

1 Like

We lost our swagger a while ago. Then the saga happened. Now there’s a decent amount of apathy as we are now like the sides we used to slaughter all those years ago. You just know we won’t deliver when it counts, and the passion is not the same.

1 Like

I find myself trying to numb my emotions before games… too many angry episodes in the last decade, my partner generally leaves the house for Essendon games.

As a supporter base we probably need to start believing again… we can’t expect the players to, if we don’t…

2 Likes

You don’t really need to be loud anymore though.
The build up before the game is impossible to hear yourself over, and the music between goals (in Perth) has taken some of the organic crowd participation out.

1 Like

Maybe we just need louder fake crowd sounds. It’s hip.

In 2015 or whatever it was when they got barely 25k vs freo at the g you could hear a pin drop.

Even before round 2 had kicked off people had seen enough and were just content to sit there while st kilda slammed through the goals.

1 Like

I dont regret being on Honeymoon rd 1 and 2.

But agreed. Its what we’re used to so we just sit there and cop it.

Next week is the chance to do something we haven’t done for 15 years! Stand up and change what this club has stood for and accepted as the norm for a decade and a half.

1 Like

I/we can only hope that they do. I have my fingers, toes and even my hair crossed.:slightly_smiling_face:

That roar when Tippa kicked the sealer vs Fark Carlton a couple of years back was immense.

Was sitting level 4 and it was shaking.

1 Like

1993 Preliminary Final - Tim Watson kicks the sealer - Great Southern Stand shakes!

2 Likes

Geez, if you’re going to be in the paper, do you reckon you’d slip on something other than your Footscray Florsheims?

1 Like

We definitely have the weakest quietest Cheer Squad hands down. have no idea when to actual cheer the boys on, they only get up for goals.

1 Like

When Essendon gives us something to cheer about you will hear the supporters cheer.

See Tippa kicking the sealer against Norf.

Otherwise we’re just going to boo, see Anzac day or that fan leaning over the fence booing the players after having 21 goals kicked against us.

The Apes will solve that this week.

There was a bit more menace around 2016. I was surprised how quiet we were in our last game when we went up 6 goals to 3, especially after Anzac Day. The Dees fans in our family are still scared to sit near our cheer squad though.