Essendon in 1989

I went to the game against Geelong in June at the G.

My everlasting memory of that game was the Gablett Snr played as if it was a dry day. Kicking torps 60+metres when no one else could kick more than 40 metres.

3 Likes

Look what we have here… A fellow Halls of Residence alumn. A few years behind you (1996), but some great memories down at The Nott.

I lived at Howitt for 2 years, and Deakin before moving out with friends.

1 Like

Just fished out an autograph book my godmother gave me in '89 (she had a friend who worked as a trainer at the club). Complete with signatures from Manning, Underwood, Tony Antrobus, Geoff Parker, Trevor Spencer, Michael Werner, Ed Considine, Dean Bailey, David Johnston, all four Daniher brothers, Sheeds and legends like Madden, Watson, Harvey, Thompson, Long, Bewick, O’Donnell, Foulds, Van Der Haar, Duckworth. I’m not sure if the entire squad signed the book and there are a few I can’t make out, but a pretty cool keepsake all the same.

5 Likes

Was Antrobus a cult hero?

2 Likes

Classic.
Great times.
I was just across from you in Farrer Hall.
I can still remember the smell of that putrid dining room.

I wonder how much the Nott has changed?
$5 schnitzels that hung off the edge of the plate and $1 pots of beer.
But you made sure not to venture into the front bar - as look at someone the wrong way and you might be using a tea towel to hold the slit in your throat together.

Was the tradition of infiltrating Howitt Hall and p1ssing in their elevator every day during O week still a thing?

My year was the first year a Hall other than Mannix College won the annual Halls footy comp - we beat them in the final.

And Monash Blues went alright too - but I only played for them for one year.

1 Like

Better ask @Ants & @ant or @AngryBomber or @Angry_Ants_Moe or @Angryman or @angry_bomber or @The_Angry_Ant

8 Likes

Here you go

1 Like

But don’t ask The Ant, whatever you do.

1 Like

I tried to add him, but he’s been banned so therefore doesn’t come up

1 Like

I remember that game … was a massive crowd, got stuck up way up high in the old Olympic Stand

Lost my wallet on the train on the way home and couldn’t call dad to pick me up from the train station

No mobile phone in those days

Ended up going the Police Station where they called home for me, and when dad arrived he said “Why did you go to the cops?”

2 Likes

I had one from about the same time and my 4 year old sister traced over them all. Was gutted!

Watson did his ankle in the first minutes of the second last round against Sydney. He played every finals match but was an absolute shadow of his normal self. That didn’t help us either on top of the other injuries

1 Like

They were great times!
So that is what that God-awful smell was?!?! You Farrer blokes were a bunch of ■■■■-head, bong-loving bogans!
That “putrid dining room” was called Slops for a reason! :laughing:

Oh the stories i have from The Nott. It wasn’t just what happened on Thursday nights, the walks to, and especially “from” were legendary! I don’t know how we got away with half the ■■■■ that went down, without being arrested. Front bar… i was young, but not stupid!! Never left the beergarden.

Ahh Halls Footy Comp. We beat Mannix in my 2nd year at Howitt. There we’re rules in those games. Good thing i played Rugby for Monash Uni and loved the tough stuff!

From a footy perspective, loved being so close to Waverley Park. Was there when the lights went out against St. Kilda, lighting toilet paper bonfires in the centre square, then coming back on Tuesday night for the last 40 mins.

Thank you for the walk at down memory lane mate!

2 Likes

So going into that prelim were we missing Van Der Haar through concussion and Watson was playing lame. Why did Fish miss?

Plain was very good until he ruptured his Achilles. He never really recovered, although he played a few good games in wet weather.

1 Like

He was pretty good at pushing the opposition player in the back to take a mark.
Might have taken lessons from Ablett senior.

1 Like

Fish had a groin.
Billy missed too, never played finals again.

1 Like

And Daisy’s 2nd KO within 7 days was his last game

Dean Wallis was a terrible shot for goal.

And my word are we oh so lucky to have Michael Long in this world.