Essendon looking more "Richmondy"

I’d say we look more “Essendon” so far this pre-season.

(At Richmond) Hardwick & Caracella have been strongly influenced by Sheedy’s coaching methods.

They’ve been able to modernise Sheedy’s game Style, with tough, uncompromising defensive aggression. And taking players who don’t have the skills and making them valuable role players. Also giving opportunities to indigenous players, and watching them thrive.

15 Likes

According to Australian Story, Dimma ( so he said himself) was a dumb coach, now he is smarter, because he coaches people, not athletes. or some such. So, it would appear he now concentrates on coaching people rather than “evolving” or even nuancing his game plan.

Expect more of the same, while we evolve our game to look like Richmond with Saad instead of Houli, McKenna instead of Short. and a similar forward line , but with really only one key forward a la Richmond 2017 and Jakey instead of Martin. We probably have an equivalent midfield, and either of our ruckmen are better than Nankervis.

It will be very interesting to see how we play against them.

2 Likes

I will take “Statements I never thought would be said seriously” for $500, Alex

4 Likes

Considering the amount of other coaches they’ve played or coached under since the early 2000’s and the relative success they had under all of them, that’s quite a flex you’ve managed there… well done.

1 Like

Playing like Richmond ! I was horrified when I saw the article. The secret is out. How did we leak this information? It must have been a breach of confidentiality at board level, there could be a mole in the executive committee or the coaches meeting room is bugged.
He says its from Champion Data stats? Well that conclusion has little or no credibility then. Surely?

1 Like

Our Coaching panel have played a combined 500 games of football under Sheedy. Not sure how that isn’t a massive influence.

2 Likes

I note no ones been brave enough to use the term essendony yet.

Is essingtony a double negative

3 Likes

Ya root ONE goat …

3 Likes

Is there an Essingtonians coterie group? Maybe they get guaranteed tickets to the Elimination Final.

8 Likes

I can’t help but just want to roll my eyes reading this.

I don’t mind the comparison and trying to articulate a comparison, but it just seems like the media love going out of their way to try and be extra undermining when it comes to Essendon.

does this mean we’re a chance to win dreamtime this year?

1 Like

Ever since Sheedy left we have tried to model ourselves on who ever the winning team was of the day, Hawthorn, Geelong (that went well) now Richmond.

Sheedy didn’t try to copy anyone, he just taught us to win our way.

What makes us think we would do Richmond better than Richmond does?

6 Likes

The reality is Richmond just play a good honest brand of footy. I don’t read too much into the “Richmond style” stuff. They’re not doing anything new, they’re just playing really well.

1 Like

Pies adopted a similar brand to Richmond and got it them to a GF.

Richmond how they play has won them 2 flags in 3 years I have no issues with copying them it’s certainly better than the downhill skiing brand we were known for.

1 Like

Red Sash on twitter could help you out.

“play the way we want to play”
maybe needs to be
“win the way we want to win”

Something you’re not telling us, HH?

1 Like

it also wasnt’ as big a business back then, and was more semi professional, not as many tactics, not as much pressure etc etc.

also didn’t have as many assistant coaches back then either or support staff, so it’s not solely one persons aim/drive/ambition.

they obviously had the right ingredients prior to 2017, just didn’t know how to put it all together.

we now have 2 coaches who helped figured out how to make them be winners. what if we are simply doing what they know works ?

1 Like

This is written by the same guy who, in today’s paper says Essendon are going to nosedive into the bottom 4 this year.

3 Likes