Essendon season preview - Me? I Like Football

Thought you’d want to check out our new site’s 2015 season preview for Essendon.

Genuinely after the thoughts of Bomber fans and interested in feedback, as well as what the realistic aims for the season from you guys are. Obviously a lot of that will be dictated by what happens in the next couple of weeks, but we’ve tried to focus on the on-field prospects in the preview.

I’ve posted the whole thing here, sans images, to show I’m not trying to spam and gather clicks; hopefully that’s okay for the mods. I didn’t author the preview but am editor-in-chief of the site, and I come here to respectively engage - you no doubt have had your fair share of trolls. If you want to see the version on the site you can by clicking here.

2015 season preview: Essendon

By Mark O’Connor

LAST CAMPAIGN

The Bombers were 2-4 after an inglorious ANZAC Day performance, and looked to be heading for a disappointing season. The team soon picked up some of the finer points of Mark Thompson’s game plan and went on an 8-3 run, including an impressive win over Port Adelaide away at Adelaide Oval, to put themselves back in the finals mix.

The Dons finished the home and away season with two wins and a draw against rival Carlton in the last round to claim seventh spot in a tight finals race, but Essendon’s September campaign lasted just one game. A Frank the Tanking from Drew Petrie and North Melbourne put the Bombers’ weird season to an end.

Jobe Watson was the major injury concern last season, missing a good chunk of the middle of the year with a hip injury. In his place, Dyson Heppell matured into a genuine star of the competition, winning the Creighton Medal and earning a spot in the very competitive midfield of the All Australian team. Cale Hooker won an All-Australian jumper as well, while Joe Daniher was joined up forward by Jake Carlisle to create a formidable key forward pairing that should worry defences for years to come.

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER

Paddy Ryder had established himself as the preferred ruck option to Tom Bellchambers, but skipped town to Port Adelaide during trade week. Former Giant Jonathan Giles is the nominal replacement, a significant downgrade.

2008 Brownlow medalist Adam Cooney and former Saint James Gwilt joined the expanding foreign legion, and with only two picks in the draft, the Dons grabbed the rangy and exciting Kyle Langford at pick 17 and the similarly versatile Jayden Laverde.

There have been no major injury problems for the Bombers thus far: Carlisle’s knee is being managed, Heppell’s recent knee surgery has been described as minor and won’t set him back too far, while there have been minor concerns surrounding Michael Hurley’s back and David Zaharkis’ knee.

Other than that, not much going on – you don’t see Essendon in the news very often.

THE CHALLENGE

It’s very hard to prepare for your season with a massive elephant in the room. Essendon has lived with varying levels of uncertainty over the last three pre-seasons, but if most of their star players find themselves suspended for an extended period, its 2015 season may well be irreparably damaged before it even starts. We’ll know more on March 31.

Soap operas aside, the Bombers have a serious issue in the ruck. Tom Bellchambers was essentially relegated to backup duties last year, but now must lead the line with support from Jonathan Giles. Young tall Joe Daniher is surely better suited up forward at this stage.

There is a tangible need for youthful excitement in this team; only Daniher, Jake Carlisle and Zach Merrett played more than 16 games from the Dons’ under-23 brigade last year.

Essendon also has a new/old face in the coach’s box, and how players readjust to James Hird’s philosophy after seemingly embracing Mark Thompson will be interesting to watch.

THE COACH

James Hird has rarely been out of the news in the last two years, but he’s back doing what he’s paid to do, and that’s study in France conduct doorstop interviews sit in a courtroom coach his beloved Bombers. Long forgotten in this saga is that before the AFL handed down its penalties for Essendon’s “governance issues” in 2013, Hird had his team in the top four after wins over Adelaide, Fremantle, West Coast (all interstate), Collingwood and Port Adelaide. The bloke must be able to coach a bit.

Of course, he’s now reinheriting a team that played finals under a different (and more successful) mentor, so there is likely to be some time for the players to get used to Hird’s methods and strategies, regardless of how close they are to what Mark Thompson had them doing last year.

THE STAR

A fit again Jobe Watson is the key to Essendon’s season. The 2012 Brownlow winner not only wins his own footy and kicks goals, but frees up the likes of Dyson Heppell, David Zaharakis, Brendon Goddard and Brent Stanton from the attention of taggers, making the Bombers’ midfield very tough to stop.

ONE TO WATCH

Speedy and clever, Zach Merrett endured a slow start to his AFL career, but the last two months of 2014 saw him play nine matches, average 18 disposals and produce more than three inside-50s per game. He especially impressed in games against quality outfits Port Adelaide and Sydney, and the left-footer looks set to be a key playmaker ahead of the ball for the Bombers for years to come.

IN THE GUN

Michael Hurley turns 25 this year and has played 100 AFL games. He’s got every physical tool a player could hope to have, but seldom does he display the talent that he undoubtedly possesses. Whether it’s as a defender or an attacker (Mark Thompson had him down back permanently, but Hird has played him at both ends), Hurley needs to make 2015 the year he moves from ‘promising’ to ‘legitimate’.

BEST 22

B: Dustin Fletcher – Cale Hooker – Ben Howlett
HB: Heath Hocking – Michael Hurley – Mark Baguley
C: Michael Hibberd– Brent Stanton – Brendon Goddard
HF: David Zaharakis – Jake Carlisle – Zach Merrett
F: Paul Chapman – Joe Daniher – Patrick Ambrose
FOLL: Tom Bellchambers – Jobe Watson – Dyson Heppell
INT: Jonathan Giles – Adam Cooney – Travis Colyer – Jake Melksham

THE VERDICT

It’s very hard to know what sort of team the Bombers will be able to field in the first half of the year. If, as many expect, they are shorn of most of their senior players for a significant period of time, then it’s hard to see them winning any games in that period. By the time the big guns return, it may be too late to motivate and reinvigorate the players into making something of a season that could already be over.

A full-strength Essendon team would be again challenging for a top eight spot, but at this stage, it must be assumed that they won’t be at full strength for some time. On that basis, the Dons could easily fall into the bottom four.

OUR PREDICTION

We have the Bombers finishing 15th, but higher if the players under investigation escape significant punishment.

FWIW, not my writing - just my site. :slight_smile:

I’d certainly have had Myers in the best 22, probably would have Howlett up forward rather than down back, and I’m not sure if Giles will be best 22 with your set up - depends if you want Daniher/Carlisle rucking at all if you can avoid it.

Hurley in the gun…wtf???

Last year was probably his best year since he joined the club.

And a preview that includes the expectation that our players will be suspended is just asking for trouble on here.

Can’t wait for some of the comments to come :slight_smile:

Quoted Post

Hurley in the gun....wtf????

Last year was probably his best year since he joined the club.

And a preview that includes the expectation that our players will be suspended is just asking for trouble on here.

Can’t wait for some of the comments to come :slight_smile:

This.

Hurley played a fine year in 2014 and was very consistent compared to his previous injury prone seasons…

You’re asking for trouble here if your prediction is under the assumption that players will be suspended. However, well written in general. That best 22 is farking weird…Not sure who put that together? Hocking HBF, Howlett BP? (Haven’t seen either play there, ever)
No David Myers (leadership group!!), Winderlich, or Dempsey?

I don’t think that there will be a massive ruck problem as you’ve suggested. Ryder, for all of his potential and physical ability, never put together full seasons that matched his intangibles. Bellchambers was ravaged with injury last year and is, IMO, a very good first ruck for most sides in the league. Giles should be a workmanlike backup.

Goodluck, waiting for more responses lol. The site looks great, just this preview is “iffy” to say the least.

PS. It’s the Crichton Medal

Haha 15th! Even dp is more optimistic than that.

We’ll win the flag and Mutley will ■■■■ on Mark O’Connor’s lawn.

Bellchambers was injured last season, but Ryder is nonetheless a massive loss.

The comments about suspensions are sad, and repeating them over and over in the final few paragraphs shows the bias of the author.

The best 22 team is just not close to reality.

The under 23 players is meaningless without context or discussion. How many did Hawthorn have? or Sydney?

A poor quality article that doesn’t make me interested enough to visit your site and makes me think of your post here as spam.

I agree that our rucks are potentially a problem, as is tall depth in general, but it’s worth remembering why Bellchambers didn’t play a lot of games last year. I’m optimistic, so I’ll say he’ll be back to top form.

The Hurley thing really depends on what “in the gun” means. His career’s not at risk at all, and he had a consistent season last year, but it is true that he’s running out of time to become the superstar everyone hopes/expects him to become.

Personally, I don’t know why you’d do a prediction with anything other than assuming there won’t be sanctions, regardless of how likely you think sanctions are, just because even if there are sanctions nobody knows who they’ll effect or for how long. Assuming they’ll happen is an easy way to avoid making a call on a team that’s most likely going to finish in a very crowded part of the ladder.

Quoted Post

Bellchambers was injured last season, but Ryder is nonetheless a massive loss.

The comments about suspensions are sad, and repeating them over and over in the final few paragraphs shows the bias of the author.

The best 22 team is just not close to reality.

The under 23 players is meaningless without context or discussion. How many did Hawthorn have? or Sydney?

A poor quality article that doesn’t make me interested enough to visit your site and makes me think of your post here as spam.

I disagree about the suspensions stuff. The only bias it shows is “probably not an Essendon supporter”. Most people think we’ll get suspensions, and even if they don’t think it’s likely, it’s absolutely relevant to a discussion about our 2015 season. Will Ryan Crowley get suspended? What effect will it have on Fremantle’s season? Totally acceptable talking point for a season preview.

Thanks for your points so far.

Quoted Post

I disagree about the suspensions stuff. The only bias it shows is “probably not an Essendon supporter”. Most people think we’ll get suspensions, and even if they don’t think it’s likely, it’s absolutely relevant to a discussion about our 2015 season.

It’s probably more about this. I, nor the author of the preview, have any idea whether there’ll be no suspensions (I’d personally be surprised, but who knows?), two-year suspensions, six-month suspensions, or something in between. But we couldn’t pretend it couldn’t be a factor.

The predictions of the ladder order were a combination of the five writers’ ladders, and whoever is writing about a particular team writes to that ladder. For the record, all five contributors (none are Essendon supporters, to be fully transparent) had Essendon missing the finals, and one had you last - all presumably factoring in the potential for mass suspensions.

But like I said, I didn’t want to come here and make it about that - I’m more interested in your players, the game plan, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

The team that played tonight would get us up from the bottom to 17th, at least.

LOL Melbourne.

Thank you for voting!

Dead motherless last 42.11%

Somewhere between 11th and 14th 21.05%

Top four 10.53%

Bottom half of the eight 10.53%

Bottom four 10.53%

Atop the ladder 5.25%

Just out of the eight 0%

Return To PollCreate Your Own Poll

GAGF

When has Bellchambers ever been anything but back up? He’s younger and not as good as Paddy. Of course he’s been the understudy.

Actually just read the bits on Hurley (most consistent season he’s had, end of story) and Zerrett (11 touches in his first quarter of AFL footy, and playing all but 3 games of your first year in a finals side is a “slow start”?)

"
Daniher, Jake Carlisle and Zach Merrett "
And Melks and Ambrose, too.
Couple of other youngies either started or finished the year in the 22 but 16 games is a fair enough cut off point. We gave a lot of youngsters a taste but not many of them lasted the year.

Whoever wrote this is guessing a bit too much.
Please, please watch a few matches before asking for anyone to kiss your ■■■■. Red and black strip, play every week, Channel 7 or Fox, weird shaped ball. Can’t miss us.

Quoted Post

When has Bellchambers ever been anything but back up? He's younger and not as good as Paddy. Of course he's been the understudy.

Actually just read the bits on Hurley (most consistent season he’s had, end of story) and Zerrett (11 touches in his first quarter of AFL footy, and playing all but 3 games of your first year in a finals side is a “slow start”?)

"
Couple of other youngies either started or finished the year in the 22 but 16 games is a fair enough cut off point. We gave a lot of youngsters a taste but not many of them lasted the year.

Please, please watch a few matches before asking for anyone to kiss your ■■■■. Red and black strip, play every week, Channel 7 or Fox, weird shaped ball. Can’t miss us.

Yeah, never heard of this guy, probably some bloos writer trying to make an extra buck.

Site is run by hawthorn supporting fanbois. Avoid.

Quoted Post

When has Bellchambers ever been anything but back up? He's younger and not as good as Paddy. Of course he's been the understudy.

"

This is who wrote it.

I repeat…gagf.

Agree completely! Whoever wrote the article doesn’t know our team at all.

Who is mark o’connor and why do I care?

If you’re the editor in chief of the site and the author (you’ve?) chosen to write the Essendon preview believes the EFC is barely relevant, I am not one bit surprised that the article is poorly researched and inaccurate.

Just some of those inaccuracies have been pointed out above.

It should be noted that doing a Best 22 for Essendon at the moment does tend to end up with an older and slower team, even though in practice said team will (should) never happen. Some younger and zippier guys like Gleeson will always be in the team, but you can’t expect someone external to appreciate this.

P.S. Fark Hawthorn.