Essendon Stepladders

I was there that night. the best mark I have ever seen live

Just in case anyone missed me put this up earlier:

I’m still apologising to the person two rows forward of me who copped my flying radio when I leapt to my feet for that mark.

7 Likes

Mark LeCras in 2010 - kicks 12 goals, Hocking? or McVeigh put an elbow through him and he still went on to kick more.

Was Painful

Was at the ground for this and didn’t enjoy it at the time.

1 Like

Likewise. I remember thinking I’d leave at 3/4 time due to getting an absolute shellacking, but stayed and bore witness to probably the greatest mark of all time.

Even the essendon fans were going nuts

Me too. The step ladder that day was Dennis Scanlon. I was right on the fence in front of the Hird stand and I’ll never forget the sound of TB’s body thumping into the turf. You could hear the air being expelled from his lungs. To be honest that video doesn’t do it credit. RIP Trevor.

Matthew Lappin 1999

1 Like

Trevor Barker 1979

Brett Montgomery 1998

1 Like

David Bourke 1996

1 Like

Nicky Winmar 1992

1 Like

Was present for the Moorcroft grab too and to be honest they’re hard to split. Both have to reach back to complete the mark with arms extended, Barker gets higher but Moorcroft arches back further. I agree the video angle doesn’t do credit to Barker whereas there are multiple angles for the Moorcroft screamer. The still for the former gives a better idea of just what a ripper it was. Was lucky to witness both.
PS There are some great chest mark screamers but…they’re chest marks.

That mark surely beats Smith and Gaz snr

That score line thrashing the dogs what to give for us to be a power house again

1 Like

I was at Windy Hill that day too. We sat in the terraces below the Cookson Stand.

It was a great mark by Barker, but god those red shorts look hideous.

TAKE THAT BACK!

1 Like

Yeah, I suppose we could have been Fitzroy wearing yellow shorts in the mid 70’s.

Isn’t that St. Kilda on the ground?

Yeah I was playing on the fact, that both were Essendon players