Essendon v Melbourne - ANZAC Day 1992 comeback

Stumbled across this gem on YouTube:

[YouTube]http://youtu.be/Xx_vnEKDJD8[/YouTube]

That famous comeback against the Dees Anzac Day 1992, an incredible 48 points behind early in the last to won by a point. Even the C31-standard camerawork doesn’t ruin it for me, with the late great Ted Whitten behind the mic for K-Rock. Post-game, some great interviews with Salmon, Kickett, Bomber Thompson, Wanganeen and Greg Anderson plus his luxurious mullet!!

47 behind.
I love the pigeon camera-work.

Actually, I‘ve forgotten if it‘s a pigeon or a seagull. Better watch it again.

"He got around the two coloured boys".

You know how people go on and on and on about that Leroy failure to goal on the other Anzac Day?

This game has that again and again and again, after we kick seven straight to get within six points…

Though Melbourne actually do a better job at inexplicably failing to score/goal multiple times in that last quarter.

“Flood doesn‘t stuff around” -- love ya, EJ!

BAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

YEEEEEEESSSSSSS!

“Brian, can he put this one through?"

“NO"

Oops, I did it again. Must remember to let someone else win threads about this game.

SIREN!

We win!

Thanks for that. Haven't seen it before. Fantastic. 

That Kickett mark. Gutsy. 

Spat out my drink at around the 4:20 mark when EJ referred to Long and Kickett as “the two coloured boys”.

We’ve changed a bit for the better since those times.

Spat out my drink at around the 4:20 mark when EJ referred to Long and Kickett as "the two coloured boys".
We've changed a bit for the better since those times.

At some things, yes. At others, not so much. 

Thanks for posting, remember listening to this game on radio. A fantastic win.

I don't remember player Considine at all, how long was he with us ?

Ed Considine played 49 games for EFC from 1986-1992 then transferred to Sydney where he played a further 28 games from 1993-1995. He was a local from Strathmore.

Wow that was great to look back on.  Love how the players always move the ball forward, kicking to contests.  Umpiring was a lot better too, though it's probably the rules and interpretations that were better.  How gutsy Kickett and Flood marks? Both awesome.

And have to admit, got sucked in all over again.  Even banged my fist on the desk when that Kilpatrick kick forward went straight to a Demons player.  

And have to admit, got sucked in all over again. Even banged my fist on the desk when that Kilpatrick kick forward went straight to a Demons player.

I never calm down during repeats. I was like a certain poster seen jumping in the aisle when the ball goes over the top to TD.

I was 10 when this game was played. Went with my Dad and brother. When the Dees kicked the first of the last quarter my Dad made us leave early so we could 'beat the traffic'. We ended us listening to one of the greatest comebacks of all time on the radio while driving home on the Eastern Freeway.

Still haven't forgiven him...

I was 10 when this game was played. Went with my Dad and brother. When the Dees kicked the first of the last quarter my Dad made us leave early so we could 'beat the traffic'. We ended us listening to one of the greatest comebacks of all time on the radio while driving home on the Eastern Freeway.

Was the drive back full of 10 year-old whinging, claims from dad of 'shut up, of course they won't ■■■■■■ win', or just ever more uncomfortable silence?

My first clear memory of being an Essendon supporter is Dad switching off the radio just before the Fitzpatrick comeback…

Was the drive back full of 10 year-old whinging, claims from dad of 'shut up, of course they won't ■■■■■■ win', or just ever more uncomfortable silence?

It started off with lots of complaining (there were 4 kids in the car as I remember) and then A LOT of uncomfortable silence when they hit the front. More than 20 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday...

First game of AFL I ever went to, along with my Aunt (Bomber supporter) and father (Melbourne man). My father was pretty pleased with himself at 3/4 time, but ended the game looking a little peaked. Fairly stony silence on the 60min trip home too. Wanganeen was already my favourite player as he and Adrian Burns came to speak to our class the year before - Gavin from memory was a bit more comfortable in the role - but that finish entrenched him as my fave until the defection.

I suppose looking back on it my father might've held a bit of hope I might've changed allegiances at 3/4 time with a thumping Melbourne win given I was still young (his family is all Melbourne, offspring all Melbourne aside from myself and me sis who doesn't support football, so he cops it a fair bit at family gatherings). Personally I prefer to think of it as history repeating itself as his father was a Collingwood supporter and yet produced Melbourne supporters who can't stand Collingwood - I was swayed by mom's sisters but I can only figure Dad's side became Melbourne supporters due to their very successful era at the time as there wasn't any other Melbourne supporters in the family.

How good is it watching that!  Thanks for posting this, something i really needed.