Essendon vs Adelaide - Review

We don’t have the midfield. It’s as simple as that. I’d been the same fucken problem for over a decade

Fk me dead please never play howlett or Myers again. Ever

16 Likes

who keeps picking the players who drop marks and turning it over ?

6 Likes

Going in with a smaller defence against the Crows was sheer lunacy.

McGrath almost the perfect game, Zaha and Goddard very good, Hooker a strong second half and McKenna always take the game on.
Hurley another 30 possession game, but again is a near liability in the air.

Hope that Tippa comes up for next week.

Surely Howlett will join Stanton and Hocking and Jobe next year. A mid/forward who is slow, and barely touches the ball is an extravagance which can’t be afforded.

Need to be mega aggressive in drafting in some mid fielders even if it means trading out someone of note or promise.

1 Like

We have so many plodders in our team it’s not funny, like more than last year, I felt last year we were carrying a few bog players out of necessity but this year we’re carrying them because…reasons…we have a few matchwinners like Joe & Hooker yes, but my god even our supposed top players like Heppell put in plodding average performances more often than not. A captain shouldn’t be having a 50% hit rate for good games.

The fact we carry plodders like Howlett, Myers & Colyer regardless of form baffles me more than anything, more than losing, more than Hooker playing on in the goalsquare against the Dogs…I can understand Watson MAYBE, but ■■■■■■ hell, we need a huge cull and instead I’m worried we’ll give Howlett another two years.

7 Likes

Hurley as a attacking player in the back half is amazing. As a pure defender he has been pretty bad for quite a while

Never seen a guy get so angry at himself at conceding marks, but then does the exact same thing at the next contest.

Should never of dropped Hartley, once we were relying on Hurls to defend Jenkins we were stuffed.

Colyer continued his rubbish form for the year

Howlett- gives his all but is not up to AFL

Myers- meh

Kelly- no way he should be getting another year

Whoever is in charge of our kickouts should be sacked on the spot. Been awful all season

7 Likes

Proud of the intensity tonight. Umpires were worth three or four goals to them, felt like a three goal ball game. McGrath awesome. Thought Leuey was good and BJ was brilliant. Still a good chance for finals.

11 Likes

IN: Stanton, Hocking

7 Likes

I’d also like to add josh green and colyer literally offer our side nothing

Sick of the Worsfold bashing. Shut up ■■■■■■■.
We got beaten by a better team.

6 Likes

Yeah, nah. When you pick the same players that constantly dont perform you are going to cop it.

3 Likes

whens the last time Colyer actually had a complete, good game? a game where he has a good 10 minutes yes, which includes a few goals, but I literally can’t remember the last quality game he gave us. he’s literally in the team for a good speedy run maybe once a game and that’s it. he’s literally our Dennis Armfield.

5 Likes

People can say oh please give worsfold a break, but honestly, if you can’t see that him selecting blokes like howlett, Myers and colyer, after weeks, and weeks of stinking it up doesn’t hurt our side, you are lying to yourself

5 Likes

Tonight showed us how much we need him in the side.

1 Like

Meh like i said, this was predictable. We are what we are.

you just can’t expect to beat quality teams, hell you can barely beat bottom placed teams, carrying 5-6 players.

The worst part is, besides the final margin, you remove those 5-6 players and hopefully get a better return, and they prolly could have beaten adelaide.

but you just can’t carry that amount of players, who are out of form or just aren’t good to begin with.

2 Likes

I thought Bird was best 22 in round 1. So I was pro-Bird.

But Can meat head supporters stop calling for him now!??
CLEARLY, he won’t be picked pretty much under any circumstances as the coaching staff have ruled a line through him.

Forget him.

I will try to be positive.

1. Adelaide are on top of the ladder and are a really good team. We did not get blown away.
  2. The umpires were terrible. We would not have won but it did not help.
  3. Our key forwards are really good.
  4. We were without our best midfielder and our best small forward.
  5. McGrath kept Betts goalless. Also got alot of the ball even though he made some mistakes at the start of the game that cost goals. Never dropped his head.
  6. Zaka was really good.

However, they often say that the last 6 in the best 22 are the ones that make the difference. Right now we have too many passengers with the work left to too few. Tonight our small forwards gave us very little. Green, Walla and Colyer were all down and Laverde started well but then really struggled. Our midfield is just too slow and not defensively accountable. Perhaps they go hand in hand and being slow prevents them from applying defensive pressure. I think the emotion of the week got to Jobe.

I think there are positive signs but also some very frustrating flaws that are part personnel and part skill based. We also have certain players who still just blindly kick forward witbout looking.

5 Likes

You know it’s a bad night when even the reliable Howlett, who often in dark times we could count on his 14 possessions to get us through the night, can’t even break the double digits.

11 Likes

Its a joke that our midfield falls to pieces without Zac. The stage was set for the senior mids to stand up abd be counted. They didnt

Not a night for the small forwards. Our scoring ability has dropped off in recent weeks. Missing Razzle will be clearly felt.

Howlett is on last legs - prefer to throw Francis into the mix for the remaining of the season.

Hopefully Zerrett forced rest means he will smash the remaining games.

1 Like

Point out where anyone says they think we’re better than Adelaide.

Then explain why we lost to Brisbane.

Then explain why we still use the kickout strategy that cost us the Sydney game.

Then explain why Hartley was dropped for Dea against an opposition with four genuine tall forwards.

Then explain why howlett and Colyer are still selected.

Then explain why we didn’t switch from a zone that adelaide kicked through all night.

I’ll wait.

12 Likes