Essendon vs norf 1999 8.30 tonight on fox

Tonight’s choosenight footy game is the 99 game agaisnt norf. Carey 10 Lloyd 7 and a great game.

Can remember it cleary for my wooden seat in the top deck of the old Olympic stand.

Cracking game, one of the best.

Best game ever.

EVER.

The comeback game really over shadows how awesome this game was

It was the passing of the batton, this game.

North threw their absolute best at us, and we still won.

Not sure Barnard was the best match up for Carey though.

And Scotty, I watched this game from the same spot. Top deck of the mighty Olympic

Best game ever.
EVER.

Awesome

It was the passing of the batton, this game.
North threw their absolute best at us, and we still won.
Not sure Barnard was the best match up for Carey though.
And Scotty, I watched this game from the same spot. Top deck of the mighty Olympic

Mum would always drag the younger brother and I up to the nose bleeds up there. What I remember about sitting up thier was the 4 hour line for a ■■■■ due to the fact there was about 2 dunnys for the whole top deck

I was coming back to Sydney after skiing at Perisher. We got home with about two minutes to go, I shattered all records for time from car to TV.

I don't get people who rate the comeback over this game.

To me they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.  The comeback was great, but really displayed the complacency that hurt Essendon so much in 2001.  This was the team that we beat by 125 points in a final just a few months before.

This is (at the time) first vs second.

We were on top but until this game no-one was really sure whether we were the real deal.

We lost to North in the '98 Qualifying Final marshmallow game.

Seriously, picture that, those that are too young to remember.  The Essendon coach being pelted with marshmallows from the crowd after losing a final.

But this game isn't just about revenge.

There are very, very few games where I've really, really respected the opposition and the way they played a game.

This is one of them.

There are few games where in a sense the result didn't matter.  The famous injury game against WC being the only other I can think of.

From an Essendon point of view, it's nice that we kicked away in the last quarter.

The game itself deserved a draw, or at least a narrower win.

This is the game that begat the 2000 premiership.

It's just a shame that Essendon and Carlton conspired to rob the game of potentially its greatest ever Grand Final.

North - and Carey in particular - had seriously owned us for most of the 90’s. We were scarred badly from a few of them, including the 98 final Wim mentioned.

This game was the day that everybody, including the players and fans, knew this was a premiership list. We just waited 12 months longer than we should have.

And Carey’s left foot goal from the boundary, was as good as anything I’ve seen at the footy.

What a game.

Damnit, Peos.

You just reminded me of our Friday Night game against them where we won.  Techincally, by all reasonable measures we won.

But they kicked about ten insane shots from the boundary and in a much more real sense, we lost.

Damnit, Peos.
You just reminded me of our Friday Night game against them where we won. Techincally, by all reasonable measures we won.
But they kicked about ten insane shots from the boundary and in a much more real sense, we lost.

Which one was that?
I remember something similar one night when Scotty Cummings played on Carey, but that was a few years earlier.

Lol Carey 192cm. He’d be a medium size FWD come mid these days

JUDD LALICH.

Gee I freaking loved/love Dean Solomon.

'98 again, I think.

Some people can remember all of our games and the context behind each one, like they were songs.

I'm not one of them.

I can only do Dancing in the Dark, Losing My Religion, Alive.  Games like that.

This game, and probably the 1984 Second semi are the 2 best Essendon games I saw before 2000.

'98 again, I think.
Some people can remember all of our games and the context behind each one, like they were songs.
I'm not one of them.
I can only do Dancing in the Dark, Losing My Religion, Alive. Games like that.

All great games. Throw Your Arms Around Me was also another classic.

Barry Young would get 8 weeks for that today