Essendon vs norf 1999 8.30 tonight on fox

Caracella, Heffernan, Blumfield. By ■■■■ they could play. 

Car a cell a roving. ■■■

Mark Mercuri

What a ■■■■■■■ jet he was

Guys that didn’t make you hold your breath the instant they took possession.

Interestingly only 6 players from that match didn't play in the 2000 premiership.

• Andrew Ukovic was at Collingwood in 2000
  • Somerville in the ruck, retired at the end of 1999
  • Barry Young went to Hawthorn in 2000
  • Lalich wasn't good enough to get a single game in 2000
  • Prior played 11 games in 2000 and was at West Coast by 2001
  • Mark Fraser played his last 4 AFL matches in 2000

Handy inclusions for the premiership team:

• Hird, Lucas, Barnes, Jason Johnson, Hardwick and Ramanauskas

Wasn't the kicking for goal great?!?!

Wish we had goal kicking talent like that now.

Fantastic, loved every second of that

Probably the best game I have ever been to.  Carey's goal, spectacular and all the while I just had a feeling of inevitability that he would kick it, then Lloydy's miraculous (seemingly improvised) goal down the other end, almost as if it were a competition between the two of them, which it sort of was.

I think they had a couple of injuries in that match most notably Pike.  I actually thought we were good enough to win it all, but I still had my doubts we would have beaten them on the big day (as I am a footballing pessimist).  Of course we were really every chance.  I think both times we lost a prelim by a point in the 90's we were playing after knowing that norf were waiting for us.   I wonder if that was as much of a bogey that maybe on the grandest of stages we thought we may not beat them.  This was clearly wiped from my thinking by the 2000 Qualifying Final.

No, we had their measure by 1999. 

We would have beaten them in the GF that year, were it not for.....

No, we had their measure by 1999.
We would have beaten them in the GF that year, were it not for.....

Yep... :(

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN

Comeback game is the most Epic game of AFL in the history of the game. There is a reason it’s a dvd AFL best seller.

But this game was very special.

There needs to be a 3 dvd set of the 99 game, 00 qualifying and 01 comeback game, three epic games with incredible replay value,

Hate to think what footy will be like in 10 years time when you look back at how great it was 15 years ago.

Hate to think what footy will be like in 10 years time when you look back at how great it was 15 years ago.

The game as a spectacle probably peaked from 1995-2000.

It's on again now if anyone's interested. Unbelievable game. 

Tell our current group to watch Heffernan get the ball 60 out and just go bang. That's what you need to do. 

Loved the aggro too. Barry Young was a beast! 

I don't get people who rate the comeback over this game.
To me they are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The comeback was great, but really displayed the complacency that hurt Essendon so much in 2001. This was the team that we beat by 125 points in a final just a few months before.
This is (at the time) first vs second.
We were on top but until this game no-one was really sure whether we were the real deal.
We lost to North in the '98 Qualifying Final marshmallow game.
Seriously, picture that, those that are too young to remember. The Essendon coach being pelted with marshmallows from the crowd after losing a final.
But this game isn't just about revenge.
There are very, very few games where I've really, really respected the opposition and the way they played a game.
This is one of them.
There are few games where in a sense the result didn't matter. The famous injury game against WC being the only other I can think of.
From an Essendon point of view, it's nice that we kicked away in the last quarter.
The game itself deserved a draw, or at least a narrower win.
This is the game that begat the 2000 premiership.
It's just a shame that Essendon and Carlton conspired to rob the game of potentially its greatest ever Grand Final.

Totally agree about the comparison between this one and the comeback game.
This was two sensational teams in absolute top form. The comeback game was between an arrogant and self-satisfied premiership team (us) against a former great that was in steep decline (North).
The only thing this game lacked was some really tight, top-class defence. Both attacks were completely dominant. I don't mean that the defences were weak, it's more that the goals nearly all seemed to come very freely. Both teams kicked very big scores.
I also agree that the Grand Final that year really should have been between us and North. Arrogance did us out of that one; we assumed Carlton would be pushovers, but they had other ideas. If we'd got to the GF I tend to think we would probably have lost to North; I know we'd beaten them twice during the season, but the game that's on tonight was dead level half way through the last quarter and it could easily have gone the other way, and I have always thought that North were absolutely determined to get the flag in 1999 after having lost against all the odds to Adelaide in 1998.

And Carey's left foot goal from the boundary, was as good as anything I've seen at the footy.
What a game.

For two quarters until Lloyd outdid him.

Best game I’ve been to, and probably ever will do.

Probably the best game I have ever been to.  Carey's goal, spectacular and all the while I just had a feeling of inevitability that he would kick it, then Lloydy's miraculous (seemingly improvised) goal down the other end, almost as if it were a competition between the two of them, which it sort of was.

I think they had a couple of injuries in that match most notably Pike.  I actually thought we were good enough to win it all, but I still had my doubts we would have beaten them on the big day (as I am a footballing pessimist).  Of course we were really every chance.  I think both times we lost a prelim by a point in the 90's we were playing after knowing that norf were waiting for us.   I wonder if that was as much of a bogey that maybe on the grandest of stages we thought we may not beat them.  This was clearly wiped from my thinking by the 2000 Qualifying Final.

One of the greatest l have ever seen. Second row, first tier of the Southern stand, on the outer wing, perfect possie. Carey's left foot goal from the boundary was superb and no fluke. Likewise Lloyd's soccer goal. From the moment it left his boot there was only one place it was going, right through the hi diddle diddle. l was out of seat and cheering long before the ball crossed the goal line. l also knew we would take everything North had to throw at us that day and we would win. For obvious reasons, l call this game Shootout Mk 2.

Simply glorious.  

Loved the aggro too. Barry Young was a beast! 

Tis the one thing we miss currently atm. The good sides even today have that aura around them, that teams are beaten in the mind alot against them, even before they step out onto the ground, and alot of that comes from pretty much players just niggling the opposition at every oppotunity.

But you look back at that era

2 times Johnno's

Solomon

Wallis

Hardwick

probably a couple of others I've missed, you knew you'd cop a belting with those guys, if you even dared touch one of our players.

Argh the memories.