Essendons Draft, Free Agency and Trade Constraints

Rookie Upgrade - Ariel Steinberg

Didn't we try in 2006 and end up with Gumby  :( ?

No, in 2006 we were really really crap and equalled our longest run of losses ever. After that when a few guys got back we probably did tank, but we certainly didn't set out to do it at the season start. That said, obviously we drafted terribly in hindsight in that draft, only Jetta and Houli are left.
I don't think it's fair to say we drafted terribly, but it did end up being a terrible result. I think part of the issue was the 06 draft wasn't that good. 

Gumby - injury woes couldn't have been predicted at the time, he was always going to be picked in the first few. 
Jetta & Davey - both ok players. Jetta should be better than he is -but we weren't good at player development back then - if you look at the players drafted after him, we did ok. 
Hislop - epic fail. 
Houli - has become a good player. 
Reimers - could have been anything. 

Of the 6, three are 100 game players (Jetta not quite but near enough), Gumby would have been and Reimers should have been.  Drafted ok, but we weren't a strong enough, good enough club to get the best of Jetta/Houli/Reimers.
I did say "with hindsight". I agree based on what was known it wasn't bad decisions. Part of our problem was it was a tall's draft and the club obviously decided to go short, and yes the talent bottomed out reasonably quickly.
In another universe Houli plays 200 games for us, Gumby stays fit and plays 150, Davey gets his 100, Jetta gets 95, and you're saying it was pretty damn good drafting. But in reality Gumby got injured, Houli wasn't played & defected, and Jetta/Davey played their games at a time of rebuilding and didn't contribute to when we pushed up the ladder again. So in hindsight, it didn't do a lot for us.

Davey did play 100 games…

Davey did play 100 games..

Yeah, but Davey's 100 and Jetta's 95 became the main win from the draft. If they were the steak knives in the 2006 draft package we would view the success of that draft very differently.

Jetta has played 95 games lol

Yes, yes we did. Didn't that turn out well.

pretty unfair though. would have been an absolute gun if he wasnt decimated by injuries

We are stuck in the middle, we don’t get near the top or fall to the bottom and have been doing this for 10 years. Now these draft sanctions and are seriously hampering us, to be honest it’s a miracle we are doing as well as we are. Not to mention that when we were lower on the ladder 2 expansion clubs were diluting the talent pool, it is no surprise at all that the Cats, Hawks and Swans have been up so long.

Trust our player development this year.

Don't trade in players.

Only trade in players when you are close to the flag.

Defensively there has been a fair amount of improvement this year. We’ve also found another 2-3 players. Heppell has raised his game. This list isn’t stagnating.

Hawks picking up buddy, roughead and Lewis in their tanking year helped.

pretty unfair though. would have been an absolute gun if he wasnt decimated by injuries

Please think before you post.

It's not at all unfair. The whole point is you shouldn't rely on tanking to solve your problems.

Especially if you have a chronic problem in using your #1 picks well.

Also, you should learn what "decimate" really means.

If we‘d been decimated we would have won the premiership.

Can we ask for a compo pick?

Please think before you post.

It's not at all unfair. The whole point is you shouldn't rely on tanking to solve your problems.

Especially if you have a chronic problem in using your #1 picks well.

phwoar! youre furious! i must have gotten under your skin.

we used our pick well. we got an impressive key forward that we needed at the time. unfortunately we didnt have a time traveling Delorean as well so we werent able to find out that his career 'didnt turn out well'

and i dont need your advice. i know what decimate means.

So, does anyone know our picks order?

http://bomberblitz.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1828-essendons-draft-free-agency-and-trade-constraints/#entry322113

http://bomberblitz.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1828-essendons-draft-free-agency-and-trade-constraints/#entry322113
How did I miss that? Im embarrassed lol.
Na, cheers for that.