Essendon's indigenous engagement something to be proud of

Great article on the recent trip our indigenous players took recently and how our players have engaged up North. Even better to hear indigenous kids and Essendon players skyping each other during the season between visits.

If you’re sick and tired of the supplements saga - really, who isn’t - then reading this article is a great antedote.

On Bathurst Island there’s a local in his 50s who’s known to all as Polly Farmer. “I couldn’t even tell you his real name, and I’ve known him forever,” says Brian Clancy, secretary of the education board that runs Tiwi College on adjacent Melville Island.

Among the school’s 70-odd students is a boy who’s rarely out of a Western Bulldogs jumper with No.10 on its back. For years he called himself Eagleton; lately he’s undergone an identity upgrade. “I’m Eastonwood,” he says, merging two names into one and beaming at the result.

And then there’s Kevin Fernando, who everywhere bar the college’s records is known as Pavlich. He’s one of 10 kids Clancy and his wife Jennifer, a Tiwi woman, take in so they can attend this vibrant and vital school. A daughter they adopted at 10 months calls herself Zaharakis.

Pavlich has a singular ambition - to be an AFL footballer. Watching him train with visiting Essendon players recently, it’s hard to imagine a seven-year-old could be better equipped on talent alone. In Cyril Rioli he has fresh inspiration, proof to sit alongside past Norm Smith Medal-winning legends Michael Long and Maurice Rioli that a boy rooted in the Tiwis can still live his footy dream.

The question is, how does dream become reality? And is the game better equipped to nurture the transition from a remote community to the modern AFL, and a life that even for urban-reared athletes can feel like it’s being lived in a distant galaxy?

Pavlich lives with the Clancys down by the creek at Pickataramoor, a short walk from school up past Tiwi College’s pet buffalo. The college is deliberately situated 60 kilometres from the nearest community; from Monday to Friday the students, teachers and various aids are a hamlet all to themselves.

Mini-buses bounce around the island each Monday morning, through Snake Bay, up to Garden Point and down to meet the Bathurst Island ferry at Paru, collecting students and delivering them to Pickataramoor for a midday start to classes. Home life in the communities can be challenging, but through the week they’re educated, exercised, fed and nurtured; Tiwi College is the entry point to a fuller life to which most of their parents have been exposed.

“Work hard at school, get an education, it’s the most important thing you’ll do,” Bomber Courtenay Dempsey told a class of middle schoolers. Such advice might seem easy to give for a professional footballer breezing through during his holidays, but Essendon is determined its relationship with the Tiwi Islands and the Northern Territory at large is both deep and meaningful.

The same sorry and seemingly never-ending story has overshadowed all else in red and black in recent years, yet away from the drugs scandal headlines, the Bombers continue the work that under Kevin Sheedy earned them a reputation as the team of Aboriginal Australia. Dempsey, for one, has been to the college several times in his 10-year career.

With teammates Jake Long, Shaun Edwards and VFL midfielder Daniel Coghlan, plus fitness, community and website staff, he recently spent several days in Darwin, the Tiwi Islands and the remote and troubled community of Wadeye. Dyson Heppell and his girlfriend were at the college throughout the following week. The senior students and Bombers footballers Skype each other regularly during the AFL season. These are small things, but a relationship continues to build, and with it a window to another life. The steps to make the crossover are still huge, but they’re edging closer together.

Clancy knows the Riolis well, and remembers Cyril’s early days at Scotch College when a desperately lonely child would phone his mother in tears, pleading to come home. “It was breaking her heart, but she just said ‘Stick at it son’.” "

Now his cousin Daniel Rioli is on the cusp of being drafted. He grew up at Garden Point, and when he struggled to settle at St John’s in Darwin in his early secondary years he came back to the island and Tiwi College before finishing his schooling at St Pat’s, Ballarat.

“The model of the Tiwi College has made it easier - the first step away from mum and dad, you’re away five days a week, so the jump from there to boarding school either in Darwin or down south isn’t that big,” Clancy says.

If Pavlich’s football progresses he’ll be noticed at the Northern Territory championships, perhaps make his way through the Tiwi Bombers - who made history as the first all-Indigenous football team in a major competition when they entered the NTFL in 2006 - and on to the NT Thunder in the NEAFL. Along the way he might encounter atypical hurdles; a college student currently being earmarked for bigger things is wavering under pressure from his girlfriend not to leave the island.
Behind the goals at Darwin’s TIO Oval sits a significant advance in the pathway - for producing not just better outcomes in football, but life. The Michael Long Learning and Leadership Centre opened in March, a $15 million facility that each week houses children from different remote communities who stay in dormitory accommodation, eat well in the communal kitchen, are schooled by their own teachers and utilise the AFL-standard fitness equipment. They hold leadership sessions in the football meeting rooms, gaze starry-eyed at the names of current NT Thunder players on the lockers and the premiership players the Territory has produced who are listed inside.

Another draft hopeful, Michael Hagan, is an exemplar of the facility’s ethos. As Thunder coach, former Saint and Lion Xavier Clarke is based there along with NT academy coach Andrew Hodges. Clarke reckons it’s the little things - “like sitting down and doing homework with a kid like Michael Hagan, then training him and feeding him” that make a big difference.

After his two-goal, 22-disposal Thunder debut in July, Hagan said Clarke and Hodges told him he’d earned his spot through his improved attitude and professionalism. “That’s why they gave me the chance, because they had thought I had improved not only as a footballer, but a person.”

The Thunder is permitted eight remote-contracted players, giving promising footballers from places like Elcho Island, Gove, Yuendumu and Lajamanu a taste of a professional environment. Last year they’d come for a couple of days, stay in a hotel at significant expense to the club, then return to their community and not be seen for several weeks.

“Now we can keep them here for a month if we want, train the whole time, maybe get a chance to play senior NEAFL footy. The boys actually enjoy coming to training - they know it’s a good experience, instead of being cooped up in a hotel for days.”

Clarke hears the ongoing conversation about whether a “remote” player will ever be drafted straight to the AFL. “I don’t think it’ll happen, they have to come via
somewhere like this.” He adds that’s a good thing. “Here they get to show a bit of resilience to be able to move from community, be able to commit to a program. If the talent and attitude are right, the next step is an AFL environment.”

Dempsey grew up in Cairns, Long in Darwin spending a lot of time on Melville Island where his grandfather still lives, and Edwards’ childhood was split between Darwin and Kakadu. What they saw in Wadeye startled them, the rawness of a community with a history of gang violence and abuse and neglect of children. Sugar is consumed in barely comprehensible volumes; in the two days of their visit there were multiple break-ins at the community store.

When an afternoon of football games started, the air of unrest dissipated. Jake Long was taken by the sense of togetherness footy brought. “They keep running the footy competition to make sure they don’t get bored and start fighting and doing the wrong thing. Constant footy keeps them out of trouble.”

Essendon left the community with playing gear and boots via an initiative with charity partner Boots For All. Matthew Whelan, the former Melbourne defender who is now the Bombers’ Aboriginal programs and welfare coordinator, acknowledges the danger of appearing tokenistic. As a proud Territorian he also knows the difference footy can make.

“It’s a source of inspiration,” Whelan says. “Jake and Shauny were in the Territory not that long ago playing footy and now they’re in the AFL. The more people that come from the Territory - and come back here when they can - it can have a great impact on the kids’ lives.”

And not just the locals. The travelling Bombers also caught up with a group of rural Victorian indigenous kids, from towns like Jeparit, Dimboola and Warracknabeal, who are engaged in a pilot program undertaken by Essendon and Anglicare to develop young Aboriginal leaders. Essendon’s head of community Michelle Murray said it was never going to be a “look at what we’re doing, aren’t we fantastic!” affair, but in a short time she’s been convinced it’s making a difference.

Watching Edwards interact with the 13 teenagers who were identified by the Gulum Gulum Co-operative in Horsham as leaders-in-the-making, she observed a special young man with a gift for interaction that moved her to tell him he should become a teacher. Long and Edwards went on the trip because they wanted to, revelling in showing off the place of their roots. Dempsey was out of contract at the time, could easily have said no, but threw himself in.

Edwards remembers footballers making an effort with him on similar visits when he was young, the mark it left. “To come back now as an AFL player, I’ve got a free trip home and I’ve gotta put in my time - not just because it’s my job, but because I care about these kids and I know the impact it can have.”

As they splashed about in an idyllic watering hole in Litchfield Park, Anglicare’s David Law spoke of AFL clubs being in a perilous position - if they tokenise such ventures, the lag effect will harm their whole organisation. He was emboldened that the venture showed the kids that a career in sport doesn’t have to mean playing.
“Look at our indigenous leaders - we hear from Goodesy, Noel Pearson, a few others. Wouldn’t you like to hear from more?” He reckons if a young person can break the cycle of residential care, they become virtually impregnable. “I heard Julia Gillard say resilience is a muscle, you’ve gotta use it. I like that.”

If Pavlich is to make it, he’ll need plenty of the former prime minister’s resilience muscle. Clancy fears that stories like Liam Jurrah and Tiwi Aussie Wonaeamirri - AFL stars for a fleeting time who are now back where they came from - have actually made it harder for kids to follow their lead. “It puts up a bit of a barrier up in the clubs’ minds.”

In the distant past lies a beacon of inspiration even more remarkable than the modern-day Bombers. The Tiwi College roll call features direct descendants - including a great grandson - of David Kantilla, who in 1961 moved from Bathurst Island to South Adelaide. He kicked six goals in his first game, won best and fairests in his first two seasons and was by many accounts best afield in the 1964 premiership. His resilience muscle must have been the size of Phar Lap’s heart.

“The only kid I’ve ever known at Pavlich’s age to look at and think ‘This kid’s gunna be an AFL player’, was Junior Boy Rioli,” Clancy says. He treasures a photo of Pavlich taken at a Tiwi Islands grand final when he was a toddler, wearing only a nappy, roosting a football classically from his bare foot.

He knows the odds are still against Pavlich. “But he’s every chance. We’ll keep nurturing him. If his head is in the right place, he’ll make it.”

2 Likes

Fantastic read.

Great read, anyone know why coghlan went up?

Great read, anyone know why coghlan went up?
Double double double double double triple double bluff.

Part of the new strategic plan in action. This one has some of Sheedy’s fingerprints on it l reckon, and that is not a bad thing. Wonderful article and initiative.

Essendon is, and has been for 20 years the leading AFL club in terms of community engagement. It’s community footprint is something to be proud of. It’s great to see the club re asserting its commitment to the Territory.

Anyone who has seen Last Cab to Darwin will see how well Essendon is regarded by indigenous communities and/or how famous we are as a club

That a Martin Flanagan piece?

Waiting for someone - conspicuous by their absence - to tell us that we’re actually ■■■■ at this, and always will be.*

*actually, just interested.

That a Martin Flanagan piece?

No. Unless he also goes by the name Peter Hanlon.

Waiting for someone - conspicuous by their absence - to tell us that we're actually ■■■■ at this, and always will be.*

*actually, just interested.

Me?, nah, we are great at this stuff.

Fantastic article.

So…there has been a family myth as long as I can remember that we have indigenous blood. Some family members embraced it, some denied. Longy even rang to speak to my mum about a shared family surname once when he was tracing his lineage.
I caught up with my cousin on the weekend who had a DNA test.
Its true. T.I.
Im stoked, and I wish my dear old Mum was still alive to embrace the news.
You were right!!

2 Likes

Lucky you. I’m jealous. A connection to a 50,000 year culture. Wow!

1 Like

Mrs Fox was born in Coraki NSW, and has dark, sultry looks and has a great tan after 10 minutes in the sun. It was always joked in her family that somewhere back in the family line their was some indigenous interaction, which some in the Family still in the bush got really cranky about.

We have this great photo of Mrs Fox about 6 years old at Coraki Primary School where there was an aboriginal “mission” station ( this was about 1959) were she fits in very well with the indigenous kids in the class.

Anyway a friend gave her a DNA test for her birthday as an amusing gift, and yep there is some bit of her that is indigenous. Mrs Fox is quite proud of it.

I would get a DNA test done except if I found I had English blood, I may never leave home again for the shame.

Edit

Found the photo and it was 1961; Mrs Fox looks so cute !!!

2 Likes