Experimentation Time

One of the positives with our current position is it gives the coaches some freedom to try new things, take risks with tactics to see if they work, move players into roles and positions that they haven’t previously held. The shift of Hooker and Dempsey forward is an obvious example. It is also an opportunity to get a look at fringe players to give the list management team an idea of where the guys are at.

A lot of these selections or tactical moves will backfire compared to the safer choices, but some may succeed and give us an advantage next year. There’s a general expectation that this experimentation is underway, but it’s hard to differentiate between a team playing badly and a team trying new things. I’m curious if people have noticed any specific examples of tactics, moves or selections that hint at this.

In dempseys case it’s not about experimenting, it’s about trying to delude themselves into finding a new and different spot for a perceived best 22 player who’s failed and should be out the door as a backman, but instead lets move him forward so we can keep him despite having the same flaws he had as a backman, as a forward.

No doubt he’ll show a little bit of “potential” up forward which will guarantee him another contract, despite the fact he should be delisted.

It was a very little bit that he showed. Sadly Dempsey is finished. A free agent at the end of the season may see him up at Brisbane.

In dempseys case it's not about experimenting, it's about trying to delude themselves into finding a new and different spot for a perceived best 22 player who's failed and should be out the door as a backman, but instead lets move him forward so we can keep him despite having the same flaws he had as a backman, as a forward.

No doubt he’ll show a little bit of “potential” up forward which will guarantee him another contract, despite the fact he should be delisted.

Seriously, wtf, man?
He was dropped because of form.
He was played in the 2’s. Then shuffled to forward, where he exceeded.
The obvious next step was to play him forward in the 1’s.
It didn’t work today. it may never work.
Point is - the season is for trying things. Demps deserves some experimentation, given the season is shot.

Why the farking vitriol all the farking time???
No one is getting delisted before season’s end.

Id be suprised if dempsey is at the club next year but he needs to be tried as a forward for the rest of the year

I only saw the second half, but I thought Dempsey did pretty well. Seemed to make space a lot, people just kept kicking it either over him or to the side. Had some good tackling pressure. Any major brain fades will hurt us less than the backline.

I definitely think its an experiment worth persisting with.

EXPERIMENTATION! How about experimenting fast movement to a leading forward for a start? My GOD. The number of times someone got the ball at half back or on the wing, and looked sideways first, before kicking backwards. Absolutely ridiculous.

Speaking of the forward line, how about experimenting with some active leading instead of going the long bomb and hope someone takes mark of the year?

How about experimenting with some ball skills in hitting the target with handballs and kicks, and not ■■■■■■ fumbling all the time?

Lastly, how about experimenting with straight kicking at goals?

I am sick to death of these basic flaws that professionals are supposed to be trained to do, to the nth degree.

Get a forward game plan, get some skills, get some mongrel back. Then I’ll start watching again.

Experimenting? Hooker forward pretty much defines it, considering he’s an exceptional key back.

Experimenting? Actually DROPPING Edwards and showing really tough love so he understands it is going to take more than NATURAL BRILLIANCE, which he has in spades. It’s a mental experiment, and it’s working/will work

Experimenting? Steinberg, after spending sooo long on the list has been given probably a guaranteed run of games so a final list decision can be made. And I’d say it has.

Experimenting? Giving McKernan (who will be listed nextyear) 1st ruck duties so he can get a sh$tload of gametime there, so next year as hopefully a 2nd/chop out ruck he is further developed in that area.

From now till end of year:

-Drop Stein/give Pears 4 weeks to show something in the 1’s regardless of 2’s form.

-Give Langford some ‘outside’ mid minutes, cause I think he has the agility to play there in years to come.

-KEEP playing Laverde in the middle/with some time at half -back (he-he not another one)

#And as far as gameplan/strategy goes I’m not credible enough to know intricate gameplans to suggest any kind of experimenting.

And finally, at the final siren of the last game, we roll out Hirdy with a microphone.
He thanks the supporters, the players and says…"And to the AFL, the MEDIA, ASADA, and WADA (PLAYERS GATHER ROUND MIC)

“Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrk Yoooooooou!!!”

I can think of an excellent example in the third quarter when GWS had kicked two goals and had a run on and Scully went off injured. We decided to send Hooker AND Carlisle forward.

Six goals later and the game was over.

Proper experimentation is iterative improvement based on small, verifiable hypotheses. We are moving the whole squad around every week.

In Harvey
Out Hird

That’s experimenting.

In Harvey Out Hird

That’s experimenting.

So you think Hird’s had long enough to prove himself and want to instead bring in a guy who’s coached more games for exactly the same number of wins? That would be seriously experimental.

In Harvey Out Hird

That’s experimenting.

Not a great option but definitely better than what we currently have.

In - terry wallet

http://www.specialtybottle.com/images/productimages/vials2.jpg

In Harvey Out Hird

That’s experimenting.

It’s also a number of other things.

Coaching moves or lack of moves is evident we are tanking. I pray the coaches dont make it too obvious or we will have the AFL breathing down our neck.

In Harvey Out Hird

That’s experimenting.

Thats not experimenting. Thats taking C4 and blowing up the club. Its bad enough that he is an assistant coach.

We should experiment with kicking more goals to see if it helps us win.

Unsure why Dempsey cops so much vitriol. He wasn’t great on the weekend, but it’s tough when the ball keeps getting kicked over his head. I’d play him forward the rest of the year. He’ll snag a few at some point.

We should experiment with kicking more goals to see if it helps us win.

You Sir, have won 12 months as senior coach of The Essendon Football Club! Come on down!