Explain LinkedIn to me

It's annoying when people you've never worked with endorse you for skills you may or may not have in the hope that you will in turn endorse them for something...

It's a total load.

What the hell is this service for?

I signed up. Instantly a few clients of mine want to 'connect' or something. So that's fine. Now all my competition in town want to also? What the hell? Now people I have no idea about but happen to work in the same town as me want to also? 

Why?

Why.

It is not about how many contacts you have but the quality of contacts. I deal with musicians/agents/ PR people daily and generally their preferred form of contact is Email/Facebook but increasingly I am getting people checking out my status on Linkedin before they commit to a booking. I also belong to an Essendon Football Club Forum where we discuss all things Bombers and that can get hairy. i don't endorse anyone unless I know what they can/can't do and I have people who contact me that I don't connect to - it is another business tool - simple as that.

I get hit up by recruiters constantly and most recently obtained some freelance work directly from linkedin from a total stranger. LinkedIn is amazing if you know how to use it properly.

just another stalker tool

People who work in vaguely the same field can link up and annoy each other by filling their email inboxes with insignificant updates on fake skills they’ve acquired.

RSVP for the white collar world. Also some sort of recruitment thing

Actually kids, I find it very useful when trying to find international contacts.

It is often impossible to reach top management in big multinationals, but for some reason many of them in USA and Europe are in LinkedIn with access to their contact data.

So for me it has been successful, and I still get a buzz when someone says something nice about me, as it don’t happen that often for a prick like me .

It's for douches who read an article in the Financial Review and decide to re-post it on social media.

The little groups are great for "HI I AM KUMAR I GRADUATE PHD PARTICLE PHYSICS CAN ANYBODY TELL ME ENTRY LEVEL ROLES RECRUITING NOW IN USA UK OR AUSTRALIA GREAT SKILLS?