F1 2024 Danny Ric is in an advertisement that kind of resembles Toro Rosso

Rumours that Binotto will be replaced by Fred Vasseur from Alfa(Sauber).

Not sure if that will help or not. They have done a good job of going backwards this season.

The team is in disarray following a disastrous Brazilian Grand Prix which was dominated by strategic errors and criticism of the underperforming team.

I’d hardly call last weekend disastrous. Charles did really well to finish 4th. Certainly, compared to some of the strategic calls and mechanical issues from earlier in the year it was far from disastrous.

2 Likes

they did qualifying

So all set for the big fights over sloppy seconds, thirds, and assorted crumbs.

adds up to sizeable $$$

1 Like

imagine being the person who will have to clip together a highlights package of this race

1 Like

So that ends Dan Ric’s tenure at McLaren. Apart from one remarkable weekend in Italy, a complete disaster, that no one can really figure out as to why.

Let’s hope Oscar can figure out that car and give Lando a good run.

Farewell Seb, he’s become so popular the last couple of years. Couldn’t stand him when he was Webber’s teammate, but he was quick in those Red Bulls.

And anyone else think Red Bull really cared today about where Perez finished in the championship?

A dull year compared to last year, but I have a feeling those silver cars will be in the mix again next year and it could get spicy at the front again

6 Likes

Most of the season was spent focusing on who came in second. Max is just at a different level at the moment, it’s crazy.

Hope to see Daniel back but at this stage I doubt it.

1 Like

when you bring in a diver whos entire weapon is to dive bomb on braking, and have a car that can’t break and turn like the renault/redbull, its a hiring and scouting disaster by mclaren.

2 Likes

For me it was the first season I’ve watched in its entirety, so each race had something to enjoy/get excited about.

I get last season was epic and the dramatic down to the last race… actually last few corners. But today’s battle for 2nd place (drivers championship) by Leclerc was thrilling. Rapt that Ferrari pulled off a strategy that worked.

Verstappen was miles ahead, so well done to him and Red Bull for their dominance.

Agree the resurgence of Mercedes during the season makes for a very interesting 2023. Seemed Ferrari had a bigger than expected improvement this year and that sets up (at least) an exciting three way battle for top spots. While the McLaren vs Alpine vs Aston battle for the next tier, with the driver changes, adds a lot to look forward to.

And doing donuts in a F1 car… that’s overkill

WE need one of the middle ranking teams to jump out of the pack to be a top two or three car.

1 Like

Need Max to retire. Would’ve been a fantastic season without him. Also need more cars and teams on grid. I want 3 cars per team.

2 Likes

Spend more money to make the same money? That won’t happen.
Plus they’d be giving seats to washed ups like Dan.

Hi, Darren

Herald Sun

Formula One: Oscar Piastri upstages Lando Norris at Yas Marina

Oscar Piastri stepped in to Daniel Ricciardo’s place at McLaren and immediately showed his class – but it was another Australian who shocked the grid.

Todd Balym

less than 2 min read

November 23, 2022 - 7:13AM

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

04:01

Verstappen wins again, Ricciardo hints at exit

F1: Max Verstappen claimed win number 15 of the season, while Daniel Ricciardo hinted towards his move to Red Bull in Abu Dhabi.

View more related videos

Australia’s newest F1 star Oscar Piastri has made a promising start to his McLaren career by doing what Daniel Ricciardo couldn’t – beat his teammate.

After the highly publicised driver switch that saw Ricciardo sacked in favour of the emerging Aussie 2021 F2 champion, all eyes were on Piastri as he finally made his F1 debut after a year stuck on the sidelines in the Alpine garage.

And Piastri didn’t disappoint, ending the official test day at Yas Marina Circuit with a lap time faster than teammate Lando Norris.

Oscar Piastri of Australia posted a faster time than his senior McLaren teammate Lando Norris. Picture: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images

Oscar Piastri of Australia posted a faster time than his senior McLaren teammate Lando Norris. Picture: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images

While Ricciardo often struggled to outpace Norris in his two years at McLaren, Piastri showed his potential with a 1:26.340s best lap time from his 123 laps (14th fastest).

Norris on the other hand posted a best effort of 1:26.890s from 115 laps (18th fastest).

But the big shock, was another young Australian Jack Doohan who outpaced them both with a 1:26.297, the 11th fastest time of any driver, at Alpine.

Alpine is the seat Piastri was initially offered for 2023 but rejected in order to move to McLaren.

Doohan is set to move into the Alpine reserve driver role Piastri occupied for the 2022 season without ever doing any F1 practice sessions after his mid season signing with McLaren.

Piastri said it was great to finally get his F1 career underway at McLaren.

“A good first day with McLaren, I think we learnt a lot,” Piastri said.

Abu Dhabi GP review, A few farewells, End of year awards

Track Torque

Abu Dhabi GP review, A few farewells, End of year awards

00:00

58:37

Jack Doohan, driving for Alpine, posted the 11th fastest time. Picture: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images

Jack Doohan, driving for Alpine, posted the 11th fastest time. Picture: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images

“It was great to finally join up with the team, and thanks to them for a good day of running.

“We did a lot of laps and experimented a lot, which is exactly what today is all about.

“I’ve got a good idea where to improve for next year, I really enjoyed it, it’s nice to finally be back out on track finally and experience the 2022 cars.

More Coverage

Ricciardo pens emotional open letter to F1 fansFiery F1 stoush over as Alpine releases Aussie star

“I’m looking forward to next year now. I’ll be in the factory next week to meet the whole team, after that I’ll take a short break before getting back to work with McLaren to prepare for next year.”

Interestingly Ferrari posted the three fastest times of the day led by Carlos Sainz with a 1:25.245 followed by Pierre Gasly in his debut with Alpine and two-times world champ Max Verstappen at Red Bull.

I assume that the writer of this article hasn’t watched any of the races to make such a comment?

2 Likes

First time in his career that Hamilton failed to get a win.

That alone makes it a great season of F1 and it got a casual pleb like me interested again.

I have no doubt mercedes will improve significantly next year though.

Norris won the head to head qualifying against Ricciardo 20 to 2. The only other similar disparity was Albon 10 to 2 against Latifi. And we know how good is Latifi.

No more papaya car, Danny back in the Bull in 23.

How it works

Our five-judge panel assess each driver after every Grand Prix and score them out of 10 according to their performance across the weekend – taking machinery out of the equation

Our experts’ scores are then averaged out and the mean of those scores are used to produce a Power Rankings leaderboard, which has been expanded below

Reports and rumours are that Binotto has been dumped.

Swear I’d still love to see Alonso in a competitive car…

2 Likes

So I tried to get grandstand tickets to AGP the other day.
On sale at 10am, logged on at 9:50 and was 12,000+ in the queue.

Needless to say, didn’t get any.

It’s ridiculous how difficult it is now