Fan Behaviour at AFL games

Uh-huh… (your sarcastica font was recognised btw…)

that’s because that lack of diversity is because those types of people will work for 17 dollars an hour and rarely get involved when ■■■■ hits the fan.

Jeff Kennett now under fire for his comments. At least he didn’t say that most of the security staff at AFL look like probable Hezbollah members.

1 Like

Agreed, and I know an umpire or two that will agree with you

1 Like

Last touch works a treat in the SANFL imo

1 Like

Only off a boot or handball. Pack situations ie spoils, smothers etc it’s still a thrown in

2 Likes

Absolutely spot on!

6 Likes

22 Likes

Só they crossed a line when you cant call an ump a Maggot.

The world has gone to the dogs.

Fix the rules só people arent ropeable first AFL. Ridiculous situation.

The point I think was trying to be made is that this has absolutely nothing to do with the now diluted, much bandied term PC. It has everything to do with an overreaction due to bad PR (Richmond fans beating suitcase out of whoever a while back) and therefore corporate greed ($ponsorship).

I think there are two separate issues here (perhaps, in fact undoubtedly more, but I think two massive ones).
The first is, as you say, the rules need to be fixed.
While there was always some ambiguity, some room for interpretation where a good umpire could adjudicate with ‘the spirit of the game’ in mind, we’ve now reached the point where the crowd, the commentators, sometimes even the players themselves just don’t know what’s going to happen with a free kick.
That’s going to enrage everyone.
All people can hope for is that their team gets more incomprehensible free kicks than the other team.
It’s a disastrous situation.

And the other is that the AFL has gone toxic.
By which I mean that no matter what they say about anything anymore, nobody believes them.

7 Likes

Campbell Brown trying to provide moral guidance…

■■■■ me, I’ve really seen it all now.

4 Likes

I think the second point is exacerbating the first point. The AFL’s mis-handling of umpiring this year has amplified the reaction to poor umpiring and umpiring mistakes. And when the AFL said do not boo they made booing a thing . They gathered the wood, stacked it, threw the match and then poured petrol all over it.

7 Likes

No supporters, no football

2 Likes

Not true - Port Adelaide just need tarps.

2 Likes

I agree.
I feel bad for the umpires. Sincerely.
I don’t think the game Can be run consistently with the rules they have.

And as for the AFL, the moment they realised, let alone used as some sort of defence, that the people who come to watch the game don’t understand the rules, that should have been a lightbulb moment.
It should have had them thinking, ‘■■■■■■ hell, we have a massive problem here.’

6 Likes

maybe i am just paranoid after the saga, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the AFL is using this as a distraction to a massive story going on behind the scenes at a club

2 Likes

I’ve heard on a few occasions that there is a current ‘court case’ involving Gil but I can’t get any further info. There is a current inquiry into Vlad’s directorship at the learning company. Who knows, what’s going on?

1 Like

Nope - yep they are incompetent and a lot of the NRL & ARU problems are player driven but this organisation actually believe they are beyond reproach and have manufactured a fake scenario to downplay their inept/unprofessional handling of the umpiring situation. I feel sorry for the umps - meat in the sandwich stuff while the dill struts around peacock like - I keep questioning how he got the job as this is the perfect peter principle in play!

1 Like

People are getting kicked out for doing things footy supporters have done decades though.

Sure - the umpiring issues and rule changes cause frustration, but even if the rules were simplified, or changed, or switched back to how they were in the 90s, fans are still going to have a go at the umpires. They always have. Difference is they’ve been marched out of the ground as of late.

1 Like