Farewell to Essendon - Josh Mahoney

We burned that bridge.
(Then ■■■■■■ on the ashes. Piled them up. And ran over them with a steamroller. And said rude words about them)

Williamson still went into bat for Shiel so long we could’ve declared. I realise there are personal factors at play there, but still not hopeless to get him. He didn’t like the main sponsor at Port much but managed a flag. In fact he might run better on spite.

I’ve seen this before in organisations - someone who is a top performer gets cut out of the action or whiteanted because of fear of competition for the next career move, or just looking after your mate in the boys club

2 Likes

So he’s already been a victim of jobs for the boys.
Will be invaluable experience for him.

4 Likes

I think people are missing the whole fkg point of this appointment, and thats it’s a campbell appointment

so whether you have a opinion of mahoney or not, what gives absolutely anyone ANY confidence Campbell has picked the right guy?

because you know, most people he hires ends up fired - rightly or wrongly

3 Likes

It’s footy, almost everyone ends up fired eventually.

What gives you confidence we’re firing the right people?

1 Like

He already looks worried.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

nothing. nothing campbell does gives me any confidence whatsoever. he, along with the board are the problem

4 Likes

This was enjoyable. Go Dees :red_circle: :large_blue_circle:

Got this from my Dees-supporting in-law … “I knew we were in dire straits but I never expected to lose Mahoney for nothing and get Chocs for free”.

8 Likes

Melbourne went from being the worst performing AFL side I’ve ever seen to a prelim final in those 7 years, with continual improvement and a smooth coaching handover.

Sure, 2019 was very disappointing for them and their early 2020, but the fact is Melbourne improved a lot with this bloke as their football manager.

3 Likes

Squash Cajoney.

He has some pull may get the band back together.

3 Likes

Those failings were administrative. If we had had a proper record of exactly what was given to every player and when it was given, we would have had a complete answer to every allegation; in fact no allegations would have been made.

What Josh Mahony has to be is a good administrator, i.e., he has to make sure that things happen when they should and finish when they should and that everything is available when it should be for everything related to football, and that proper, organised records are kept of everything that happens. It’s not up to him to turn mediocre players into good ones.

5 Likes

Melbourne’s mistake was choosing the wrong successor to Paul Roos. Roos turned them from a rabble into a strong team in two years, then “smoothly transitioned” to Goodwin. It’s been all downhill from there.

Didn’t they make that prelim off the back of an insanely easy fixture, pretty sure they only beat one top 8 team that year in H&A.

I have no strong opinion on him, but surely if Mahoney is responsible for that prelim then he’s also responsible for the last 2 years of inconsistency and extremely poor form.

Not 100% sure. but presumably you’re aware that Josh Mahoney needs to be more than just a good administrator.

Why ? And how ?