Fark carlton (Part 1)

It’s scary, if I take out Cripps and Kruezer I’d rate Mitch Robinson as having the third best career. Yarran should have but didn’t.

When Mitch Robinson is your third best pick in 10 years of drafting. Wow!

1 Like

Is it all down to drafting or bad development?
Probably a combination of both but it’s staggering to think that out of all those picks there is only 8 players that are still playing AFL football

And Sam Rowe should thank his lucky stars he’s still on an AFL list, even if it is only fark Carlton.

Did Malthouse contribute or did he make the worst decision thinking he could do anything with that lot.

And yet they’ve won more finals in that period than we have.

They then sacked that coach, who then went on to play a part in Hawks 3 peat. Classic FarkCarlton.

All those are pre-SOS.

Disastrous, probably why his predecessor got the chop.

But then SOS went into full GWS group discount mode. Love to see a similar break down of draft / trades from 2015 onwards.

1 Like

Bit of both to my eyes.

Menzel could play, but from memory injury was his main problem?

I’m staggered they didn’t somehow manage to get even ONE long-term kpp out of the 2010 draft where they picked up Watson, McCarthy, Mitchell - all those blokes had promise as juniors, stuffing them ALL up looks like a development issue, you’d expect at least one to make it just from the law of averages.

Clem Smith was the sort of kid with a few issues and a difficult background who’s always going to struggle in a weak development environment.

2012-3 they looks to have gone with a ‘natural blue-collar footballer’ strategy with perhaps less emphasis on upside or athleticism - plus side, it got them Cripps, minus side, it also got them Holman, Graham, Temay. (fwiw I rated Temay though had concerns about size/speed, the other two looked like good juniors who mightn’t step up so well)

My guess is development more of a problem than drafting (though they’ve had some drafting howlers too). Majority of these picks are imho pretty reasonable selections. Boekhurst and Bootsma certainly questionable, but of the drafts I know well, most picks look defensible.

And if their development was any good - why haven’t they made more of the GWS kids they’ve poached? Plowman and Marchbank have been ok, but neither of them are leaps ahead of where they were at GWS. Jaksch vanished without a trace, Lamb was a nothing idea all round, Phillips is always injured (I think he can play though), and the rest have done bugger-all. Compare to Smith, who walked into EFC and is now having basically his best season ever.

4 Likes

May they stay at the bottom forever.

One word: Bootsma

What happened to big Tommy Bell?!

Isn’t he the doodle guy

1 Like

At Lions now. Been injured a fair bit.

i just found my new username.

3 Likes

Since Silvagnis been there they have done ok IMO.

Marchbank, Plowman, Kennedy, Lang, Pickett Traded in

Pick 1: Jacob Weitering

Pick 10: Harry McKay - has potential

Pick 12: Charlie Curnow

Pick 23: David Cuningham

Pick 53: Jack Silvagni

Pick 6: Sam Petrevski-Seton

Pick 27: Zac Fisher

Pick 47: Harrison Macreadie

Pick 59: Cam Polson

Pick 61: Tom Williamson

Pick 65: Patrick Kerr

Pick 3: Paddy Dow

Pick 10: Lochie O’Brien

Pick 30: Tom De Koning

Pick 70: Angus Schumacher

Pick 78: Jarrod Garlett

They are probably at least nailing the early picks.

Zac Fisher been very good this year also

Kennedy is average. Lang is average. Lobbe is nowhere, although let’s see if gets game with Kreuzer issues.

They probably have no choice but to get other teams cast offs as good players won’t want to go there. Rockliff / Smith / Saad all passed.

2 Likes

Is it that hard? You don’t have to leave your lounge to nail the top picks, If you have picks 1-3 generally the media has done that work for you. I would even say the first round writes itself.

Well it was from 2007-2014.

Zac Fisher and Tom Williamson have looked ok at stages

Curnow and Cripps are probably 2 of the best 10 young players in the comp

They have ruined Weitering, hopefully they’ll do the same to those two

A FCFC supporting “associate” (not mate) of mine says inside word that Cripps is a chance to walk if he doesn’t get the captaincy
Not that you’d want any player on your list based on that kind of petulance but wouldn’t it be sweet if we could coax him across
The butt hurt from those remaining FCFC supporters would be immense

2 Likes

why the ■■■■ would you want to be the captain of that rabble? id walk if i were made captain

15 Likes