Fark carlton (Part 1)

I think if they win 5 games or less he’s gone.
If they win 7 or 8 he’ll definitely keep his job. I think they can win 7 or 8 with a decent injury run and I hope they do because they’ll almost certainly get ahead of themselves after that

That’s sort of right, but a large part of why they’re a rabble is that he’s coaching them. I can’t believe he has any respect from the players – not when he holds up the jumper of the club that’s come third last, second last and last in the past three years and says with all earnestness that it’s the most powerful thing in the AFL – and when players don’t respect the coach, they become a rabble.

Carlton are down, and I hope they remain there forever, but unfortunately they are not out. They have vast resources of power and wealth. They’ve been in this position before and turned it around more or less overnight to become a powerhouse for 30 years, and sooner or later they’ll do it again. Unfortunately. I rejoice in their current ineptitude, but I’m not about to assume that it’ll continue forever, or even for the whole of next year.

2 Likes

How do you see that?

They only won 2 games and one shouldn’t have if we kicked straight. Very very ordinary side.

Docherty back helps. I don’t really see McGovern having that big of an impact personally. And then they have a lot of raw kids.

It’s a huge rebuild they in and still got more pain to go when their 30+ players go soon who are still often in their bests like Simpson & Murphy. Fact Daisy been retained shows how poor the support cast is to be there with the class kids coming up.

I doubt they will get anywhere near 7 wins and whilst pressure on coach is there for sure the reality of their list and where it’s at has to be factored in.

If they do get 5 wins. It’s 150% improvement on this year. As Bolton says “green shoots!”

They won 6 in 2017 and 7 the year before. Their list wasn’t really any better then, they just had more injuries in 2018. They have got games into a fair few of the youngsters now. They’re not going to be anywhere near a good side, but if they have a good injury run and show some semblance of a game plan or playing for the coach, then it’s not that hard to get 7 or 8 wins.

As much as we all hate them, they do have some good youngsters who are going to show something at some point.

1 Like

That may be so but also kept losing quality players without really covering for their losses whilst others who are still very important keep approaching their end.

** Tuohy a gun was lost, Marchbank only one of that lot who has been serviceable.

**Gibbs a gun was lost, none of the recruits any good

**Better result. But Fasolo is so inconsistent. McGovern been 4th in line and never proven himself as a main man, Setterfield injury woes

They did very well at draft as you’d expect with pick 1 and gaining another mid they rated in top 10, but also gave up 2019 high pick.

I don’t doubt they will eventually come good but not jump from 2 wins to 9.

They did’t lose anyone this season though.
Plus they had important players injured who theoretically will add more next year. Aside from Docherty they also had Murphy, Kreuzer, Plowman and Marchbank all miss half the season with injury… that’s just off the top of my head.

They got full seasons into first round picks Dow and O’brien. That can only help them next season.

We just can’t expect that they’re going to keep winning only 2 or 3 games every year.

I think people need to take the carlton hate blinkers off and realise they are not going to be bottom again next year unless they have another very bad injury run.

Bookmarking this until next year.

3 Likes

I don’t see them getting out of bottom 3

Already posted something earlier in thread on it given Freo will improve, Lions will improve.

GC to drop, and Saints are nowhere. It’s literally those clubs and Blues in bottom 3 for mine.

5 wins would be huge improvement but still won’t move them up ladder much

You reckon Freo are going to improve partly because Cerra and Brayshaw have had a year under their belt and should improve.

You could say the same for Dow and O’Brien. Plus the multitude of other young guys that could still become something.
Fisher, Kennedy, Setterfield, Petrovski-Seton.

Freo are no more certain than Carlton

They’ve got a fwd line finally for starters, and a very good one at that with Hogan and Lobb.

Their trade period overall smashes the Blues IMO, and Freo actually already won 8 games last year as opposed to 2.

I’m not discounting Blues kids improving like Freo’s will also. They look good but they aren’t the difference in a massive jump up ladder.

Long term they have the blocks there though

We shall agree to disagree. You think 7-8wins. I think 4-5 max. But hopefully it’s none!

1 Like

Sure we can!

8 Likes

Yeah?
After giving him an extension this year?
I genuinely think they’ll be happy with 5 wins.

1 Like

I don’t, unless injuries intervene meaningfully again. (I know I’m more positive than most about them, but gee they’re farked if Cripps goes down long term).

I think the fact they’ve:

• traded in McGovern (to a lesser extent Settefield)
  • brought in Fasolo
  • and most significantly, traded away next year’s first, says to me they’re expecting a reasonable jump up the ladder.

No doubt they wouldn’t be expecting top 8, but if they only win 4 or 5 games, then most likely they’ll have at least 1 pretty long losing streak. The natives will be very restless.
Of course, it’s obviously a lot more than just win/loss that will decide it.

All their moves seemed to have a distinct “anyone who’ll sign a deal” whiff to them. Not sure they point to any over-arching strategy.

2 Likes

Most agree Brisbane had a reasonable season this year and were competitive.

Finished 15th.

There is a fairly big step to take from bottom 5 to the middle of the competition and then to the top 6, as we found out this season.

They finished last, best they can realistically hope for is to be this seasons Brisbane. It is easy to say player x,y and z were injured, but every club has injuries every season. If they have a North Melbourne type with injuries, they might flash around the top 8 for a while early, but even then they will return towards the bottom when the serious clubs change up a gear.

Ficken Carlton

Instaban

8 Likes

North Melbourne is an interesting comparison. They could easily be bottom 4 with an average injury run instead of the dream run they had

We will always banter over cricket.

And Adam Sandler

And postcodes