Fark carlton (Part 1)

These are the days of our lives

Jesus…I’ve just had a good look at Carlton’s list.
Fair chance I’ll be eating my words by the end of next season. It’s a bit hard to believe a list could be in that shape.

Their best 22 looks AFL capable…just… but it gets scary very quickly after that. I’ve picked a best 22 below, but beforehand, some comments in my defence…

• I’ve picked Marchbank as a KPD. I’ve never really watched him so I’m not sure if he’s capable of that or if he’s more of a 3rd tall type. The alternative is to bring in someone like Liam Jones, so I think I can be cut some slack on this choice. MacReadie might be the other option but he played 9 VFL games last year and no AFL, so clearly had injury worries.
  • Midfield, you basically have to pick the two 1st round picks from this year, plus the 2 from last year and even Dale Thomas and Ed Curnow. I’m leaving out Setterfield on the assumption he’ll battle for a while coming back from a knee. There is literally no-one else for depth though so if there are any injuries at all, or some of their “stars” (that is sarcastica font for anyone that doesn’t notice) like Kennedy, Ed Curnow, Dale Thomas, Murphy have any sort of form slump for any reason, they’re in almighty trouble.
  • Forward - you have to pick Fasolo. I don’t care how lazy he is. Find me a better option from the depth list.
  • If anyone knows anything reasonable about some of these neville’s in the depth list and thinks they might cause an impact in 2019 for any reason, I’m all ears.

Anyway, here goes:

B: Plowman, Marchbank, Newman
HB: Simpson, Weitering, Docherty

C: Murphy, Dow, Walsh
R: Kreuzer, Cripps, Ed Curnow

HF: Fisher, C Curnow, Petrevski-Seton
F: Fasolo, McKay, McGovern

Int: Lochie O’Brien, Kennedy, Stocker, Thomas

Tall Depth:
De Koning (Ruck - 19yo - 2nd year)
Liam Jones (dud)
Harrison Macreadie (defender - 3rd year - long shot imo)
Lobbe (Dud)
Goddard (Dud)
Phillips (Dud)
Pat Kerr (3rd year - forward - long shot imo)
Ben Silvagni (1st year -long shot)
Levi Casboult (dud)

Mediums:
Jack Silvagni (let’s be very kind and say long shot)
Tom Williamson (3rd year - long shot)
Finbar O’Dwyer (1st year - late pick long shot - he’s not even Irish by the looks of it, which is a little bit strange considering his name and the look of him)

Mids/smalls:
Setterfield (3rd year - we all know him. Potential, but big if is his body)
Tom Bugg (Dud)
Darcy Lang (Dud)
Angus Schumacher (2nd year - long shot)
Matthew Owies (Rookie - long shot)
Kym Lebois (Rookie - long shot)
Jarrod Garlett (Dud)
David Cuningham (4th yr - lots of injury issues so far. Won a rising star in 2017…not sure how looking at his stats. I think he’s a long shot too based on his injury run and how little he’s shown in VFL (based on stats).
Cameron Polson (3rd yr - long shot)
Jarrod Pickett (Dud)

I’m fairly confident I won’t get much argument about the guys I’ve called duds.
For the guys that I’ve rated as long shots, I’m basing that on the fact they were all pretty much late picks and/or have shown very little in VFL or AFL so far.

They really need the best 22 to stay fit or they need to miraculously turn some of the duds or long shots into good players out of the blue.
Even if the best 22 stays fit, there is a fair chance some of them will have slumps and need time in the 2’s for development. Have a look at this as part of their best 22 (if we had trouble integrating in 2017, how are they going to go with this):

• 6 guys who are 1st to 3rd year players
  • May as well add Harry McKay to that because he’s 4th year and we all know talls take longer)
  • Docherty coming back from a knee
  • Newman, Fasolo, McGovern all coming in from other clubs.
  • Setterfield is essentially 23rd man based on the quality of the depth lists…so that’s a guy coming from another club and coming back from a knee.
  • They rally, really, really need the experience of the blokes on their last legs, Murphy, Simpson and Thomas…not to mention Kreuzer and Ed Curnow.

what the ■■■■ have I been thinking…

With a name like that, surely he’s an injury list regular?

3 Likes

haha…well he’s a rookie they’ve just drafted so maybe he will be.
Actually, I thought there was a chance you might know more about him than anyone, given his bio (ie. played his junior a few years ago when maybe you were watching). He turns 22 before next season starts. His bio from the FCFC site:

Owies arrived at Carlton over the off-season as a Category B rookie, having spent the last three seasons forging a basketball career in America. A star junior, Melbourne boy Owies is no stranger to the game, having won two best and fairest awards for St Kevins. Having now code-hopped back to football, Owies is looking to make his own way as a potential pressure forward with the ability to play in the midfield in the long-term.

Can’t say I’ve heard of him, though it doesn’t sound like he played TAC so maybe that’s not a surprise.

Sounds like he’s taking the Alex Keath career path. Be a good junior footy player, give it up as an 18yo for a sport that pays better, fail at that, come back to AFL with your tail between your legs.

1 Like

Hahaha

See?

They’re relying on having 10+ kids come on at once to be any good. And their record of picking kids goes without saying. They’ve stripped almost all their depth in seasoned, experienced players. Just a few guys go down injured, any they’ll be playing a TAC cup side.

2 Likes

I disagree, their record bears repeating. They are rubbish in terms of developing players.

3 Likes

Γαμώτο

1 Like

agree.

1 Like

McGovern will be a flop he’ll be the first forward that teams plan for, not the 16th as he was at Adelaide

Fasolo is good for 5 against us, but he’ll be injured for the rest of the season

Biggest in for them will be a healthy Docherty.

Settlefield will struggle imo, it will be hard to win the ball with Cripps in the middle and that’s if he overcomes his injuries.

Walsh will be taken under Marc Murphys wing, poor kid will be ruined because of it.

Weitering will be traded at seasons end citing FarkCarlton as the reason.

Petrevski-Seton will also underperform then ask to be traded due to go-home-factor, he’ll then be convinced by a fellow Halls Creek kid to join the mighty Bombers.

SOS will be sacked and so will his kids

2019 will be a good year

FARK CARLTON

11 Likes

I believe Carlton will be much improved in 2019.

Their excellent recruiting, strong culture, unprecedented fitness and coaching teams should see them rapidly rise up the ladder.

Their supply of lollies is second to none.

I fully expect them to finish second last this year, with only GC below them.

FARKCARLTON.

5 Likes

8 Likes

All for Fark Carlton having a dismal 2019, but it must be matched by Essendon having a successful year. It’s the best way to pi@@ on Fark Carlton. Otherwise it’s very hollow rejoicing.

3 Likes

The hate is strong in you
Come and play for the $hit side

1 Like

Do we really want them to sack SOS though? He’s the gift that keeps on giving.

5 Likes

Exactly. So is Bolton.
That’s why 7 or 8 wins in 2019 would be perfect

1 Like

I reckon 4-5 wins would see both Bolton and Sos keep their jobs. That would be a 100% improvement on this season.

One other thing - if the AFL even contemplates giving them a priority pick they can fark right off. Fark Carlton were the ones whose choose completely butcher their list. Some of the rubbish decisions include trading Gibbs and then swap out their 2019 first rounder. These decisions must not be rewarded with yet another high draft pick.

3 Likes

Gee I hope we don’t lose to them again next year. They are trash

No swapping their next years first was brilliant, they got a player they (but no one else) ranked as top 10… Not their fault that insert excuse injuries/kids not coming on/ some other lame reason here

Swapping that pick had very little to do with getting a good player (though they probably rated him) and a lot to do with pressuring the AFL to give them a priority pick next year.

It’s being reported that Docherty has done another knee at training today…