Fark carlton (Part 1)

Setterfield very good? In what universe?

Yep. Absolutely they will. They won’t have a team finish bottom with fark all wins and no good draft picks. They’ll intervene, incorrectly, as they always do

1 Like

Looking at prospective coaches for Farkcarlton, why not appoint Adam Schneider? He is the GWS NEAFL coach. Seems appropriate to me.

10 Likes

I don’t blame Bolton at all, and really rate him actually.

He’s the only Carlton coach in forever to do what actually needed to be done - strip the whole list right back, recruit kids, and start the whole thing again. It was always going to get worse before it got better. The fact that Silvagni is such an incredibly bad recruiter also didn’t help him.

However I love the fact that they’ve sacked him. It will mean that the next coach knows he needs to get some wins so he will trade kids and draft picks for middle age spuds. And they’ll get a bit better but will mortgage their future in the process.

And around and around and around it goes

9 Likes

I’d hold off on the wraps for Dow and Setterfield. And SPS too.

Dow’s disposal is woeful. Setterfield just looks pedestrian to me. SPS inconsistent.

4 Likes

I saw Dow do some lovely things, darted out of traffic and tried to make something happen. He has something. Walsh has been putting in a year that while not as impressive as McGrath’s debut, isn’t a mile behind. Would have either at efc.

You’re right, he is missing a raking chaos ball stat

It’s not right because you have to be held responsible for your actions.

You could argue that if a club has struggled to develop a strong team because they are under-resourced through poor sponsorship deals or a low supporter base, or their top players keep getting poached to other clubs then you may give them a leg up.

I don’t think Carlton have those reasons to blame for their poor performances over the years. They are a big club and they basically made poor decisions. It happens. And they have to wear their decisions and need to work their way out of it by the normal channels.

You are not entitled to playing finals football. You get there by developing a competitive side.

I agree completely with all of that. But you know they’ll still do it

Unless you’re an interstate club trying to spread financially tantalising roots in alien communities, in which case it’s going to happen whether you like it or not.

Caveat : maybe the Gold Coast where all sport, bar drunken half court tennis at the Aquarius Hotel, goes to die.

1 Like

sono siciliano per l’amor di scopare

Don’t think Dow’s terrible but there’s a long way between “has something” and “is a very good AFL midfielder”.

Virtually every kid who gets picked has something. Plenty of them don’t make it, or don’t make it all that far.

Inconsistent logic here.
You’re giving him a pat on the head for recruiting kids, but also an excuse because the recruiter didn’t recruit well.
You can’t have both.

And I don’t think you can even claim to be heavily recruiting kids, when you’re taking 5-6 retreads every single year.

(2018 - Setferfield Bugg Goddard Newman McGovern Fasolo
2017 - Lobbe Kennedy Lang Mullett Matt Shaw
2016 - Silvagni Palmer Smedts Marchbank Pickett
2015 - Gorringe Wright Kerridge Philips Lamb Plowman Sumner)

“The kids”.

It’s a myth.

1 Like

Blues have met up with Ross Lyon to sound him out.

SEN host Sam McClure on Tuesday reported Silvagni and Lyon have met up in Melbourne in a potentially massive development in the club’s coaching search.

And Robbo said this:
The Herald Sun’s Mark Robinson on Monday night told Fox Footy’s AFL 360 that Carlton could offer Lyon a monster $4.5 million, five-year deal to convince him to leave Perth.

So you’re African?

2 Likes

Not sure Lyon would be good for them. He will certainly getting them playing more accountable but can’t see him wanting to rebuild a list.

2 Likes

And you know what, ■■■■ Bolton anyway. How the ■■■■ could he give Newman 1 vote in the coaches votes???

1 Like

Ross Lyon would be Malthouse mark two! The closest Lyon has gone to rebuilding a list is the current Freo rebuild. His successes at St Kilda and Freo were with ready made team. I am fairly certain the current Fark Carlton squad is not that ready made.

2 Likes

He’s been trying to rebuild Freo since they lost that GF. I reckon it has become too hard, both for him and for Freo.

So in other words, Perfect!

3 Likes