Father Son Watch (2017 onwards)

Not even close

Thing is re Munkara that we desperately need forward x-factor and he presents as exactly that.

There will definitely be a bid on Davey jnr before our 2nd rounder because every club knows we’ll match, and strategically they can change our pick order by bidding.

I think the most likely scenario we can reasonably hope for is that the Davey jnr bid comes close enough to pick 22 that the points mean we get a pick back in the 30s that we can use on Munkara.

Im not sure of the maths on the above, but that scenario is most likely imo

2 Likes

Only Brisbane’s picks before ours go and Ashcroft adds one back. Brisbane also needs list spots for all of those picks. So the impact is 3-4 only.

1 Like

he is well worth going into deficit for.

i’m just trying to think of what the strategy would be to keep the most picks, and still wind up with the Davey, Davey, Munkara bonanza

2 Likes

Well, the likely best outcome would be we can use 4 & 22 at the draft, take a second round deficit on A Davey, nobody bids in J Davey or Munkara so we add J Davey with our last pick and Munkara to the Cat B list.

Alternatively to taking a deficit we trade some of our futures in for extra points.

3 Likes

Plus if other teams pass on their later picks

Recruits don’t want to come to our club? Plenty of guys around that mark who are much more highly rated than Mankura who would love to be drafted by us.

this is a shallow draft past about pick 30, i would be very surprised if bids on Jay Davey and Munkara don’t come by the end of the 4th round at least.

This is exactly the sort of year you’d do that as an opposition club.

I’d be wrapt if they both slid though.

4 Likes

What if we don’t want Mankura?

1 Like

Then easy draft day and nothing really to discuss then.

Then we should just go into defecit or trade in a future pick. Either way we shouldnt pick Munkara at 22 if we dont rate him that high, which seems likely.

1 Like

What is wrong with people suggesting we take Munkara at 22 just because they like him?

On all available evidence there’ll be 2 dozen players we rate more than him. 22 is a great pick.

Lunacy.

10 Likes

Shallow draft just means teams will trade out of late picks and target specific players for specific roles. It only takes one team to love AM or JD, but by the same token neither have played at any level since mid year and come with risks, it might be that there’s another high reward option that they rate more highly, or on the other hand a guy from their VFL squad who they want to get in as depth. Or teams have seen our success with SSP and fancy having a look at a couple of high reward guys who aren’t tied to our academy as part of pre season training and hence want to keep the list spots open. Fingers crossed. But if we come out of it with say Tsatsas, Davey, Davey, Munkara as a Cat B, and a list spot to use in SSP because we traded out of 22, and a 2nd round pick next year tied to a team we can death ride next year who might go significantly backwards (eg Collingwood), then I think that is the absolute best outcome.

2 Likes

Munkara can’t be added to Category B rookie list as he has been playing footy in the last 24 months. Category A is a different thing

There are multiple ways you can end up Cat B eligible

6 Likes

Mate, we can consistently take your projections for less credentialed indigenous talents and add 20-40 spots to where they get picked. Given I doubt there will be more than 60 kids taken I think there are good odds neither is selected until late, and likely not at all.

4 Likes

It’s the Dogs I’m worried about taking him. How often do they stuff up our drafting plans. They have picks before us.

Mankara is not in the best 22 kids available, he is a speculative pick, high risk/high reward.

5 Likes

Munkara is in the AFL academy, which means he’s ranked in the top 60 kids in the country. He was getting ranked In the top 30 up until around a month ago when some clubs are becoming a bit risk averse, There are 3 clubs other than us who are definitely keen, an inside pick 40 bid is still very much in play right now.

5 Likes

Tell me Harley Reid is the son of an Essendon great and we can take him next year father son

Just saw his highlights.
Woah.

6 Likes